Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Una 2/0

Default Una 2/0

One of the hardest of all classic salmon flies - hope you like it.

Dave

It's stunning Dave.

As a matter of interest, and coming from somebody who has never tied dressed flies, what made that one more complex or difficult than any of the others you tie?

Quote Originally Posted by crispin View Post
    It's stunning Dave.

As a matter of interest, and coming from somebody who has never tied dressed flies, what made that one more complex or difficult than any of the others you tie?
    Just the number and type of materials being handled.
    Dx

Amazing dave, another superb fly , dave you never revealed the trick with the sticky tacky wax ,when you replied to my thread aboutthe cautery ,

Treble cheek feathers.....?....excellent tying , ribs in same rotation !.

Very nice. Shame to put such a fly in the water.
    Grey Monkey
    ---------------
    So ! what part of the river has the "game" angler nominated as a sanctuary for all

fish?. The spawning streams/ rivers ? the headwaters ? the upper stretches ? the middle

stretches , the lowers stretches ? the tidal stretches ?.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie-tail View Post
    Amazing dave, another superb fly , dave you never revealed the trick with the sticky tacky wax ,when you replied to my thread aboutthe cautery ,
    No trick -it's just sticky wax reduces the thread wraps you need, 'mops up' loose fluff, stops 'fall off' on the head and is just the right way to go about it - using a cautery has lots of issues.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Monkey View Post
    Treble cheek feathers.....?....excellent tying , ribs in same rotation !.

Very nice. Shame to put such a fly in the water.
    You're kidding? Let some manky salmon get it's teeth round this?

There's 25 worth of Indian Crow and Blue Chatterer on it for starters.

Re-the hackle in the same direction as the rib - the contra-wrapping is a relatively modern thing (and before anyone mentions speys - the hackle goes OVER the ribs on a spey).

Cheers
    Dave

that is fab dave, ive been promised some lessons in fully dressed this winter always something i wanted to do but not sure were to start,
    do you now of eny really good books that would give me the heads up were to get started?
    give a man a fish, he feeds his family for a night; give a man a fishing rod he feede his family for a year!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisfly View Post
    that is fab dave, ive been promised some lessons in fully dressed this winter always something i wanted to do but not sure were to start,
    do you now of eny really good books that would give me the heads up were to get started?
    Who's teaching you in South Wales??????????? Don't know of any serious classic tyers in Wales at all!

The best book by far and away EVER written is Mike Radencich's 'The Classic Salmon Fly' - you can get it for about 30 if you hunt online (NOT Salmon Fly Materials which I really don't rate), his third book 'Twenty Salmon Flies' is supposed to be good too.

If you are looking to original books then JH Hale's 'How to tie Salmon Flies' is the best by far (make sure you get the second edition as it has 351 salmon fly patterns in it that the first edition doesn't include - however this is expensive at about 130 a copy - especially for a 6x4" book of 100 pages (the FFCR reprint is 90 I believe).

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Carne; 02-08-2010 at 10:59 AM.

great fly mate, amazing to see that someone can tie to this quality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast