Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  330

Poll: Who tied your favourite fly from the October 2019 Tie of the Month Competition

This poll will close on 01-12-2019 at 08:24 PM

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Speybrothers Tie of the Month October 2019 - The Templedog

Please take some time to review the entries and cast your vote for the October 2019 Speybrothers Tie of the Month Competition.

nwsalar

01-nwsalar-jpg

DrPatrickT

02-dr-patrickt-jpg

Andrzej

03-andrzej-jpg

Jockiescott

04-jockiescott-jpg

Wormo

05-wormo-jpg

Perry Poker

06-perry-poker-jpeg

mc andy

07-mc-andy-jpg

Grassy_Knollington

08-grassy_knollington-jpeg

gwelsher

09-gwelsher-jpg

iainmortimer

10-iainmortimer-jpeg

GaryD

11-garyd-jpeg

Clydebuilt

12-clydebuilt-jpg

Doublehooked

12-doublehooked-jpg

AlanT

13-alant-jpg

Cloner

14-cloner-jpg

CharlesW

15-charlesw-jpg

Lyndonford

16-lyndonford-jpeg

+++++++++++++++Original post only below this line. No Entries below this line ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Welcome to the October 2019 Speybrothers Tie of the Month competition.

With some trepidation I'd like to announce that the theme of the October Tie of the Month competition is: Templedogs. In my experience nothing kills a TOTM like a Scandinavian theme, but I think this one will be different.

This October everyone must tie a fly inspired by Hakan Norling's 'Templedog' fly. The combination of colours is great and it could work in a whole variety of different styles in addition to the original Scandinavian style.

The colours and some components of the fly will be specified, but the material and style of fly are up to you. i.e. you can tie a Sunray Templedog, a Shrimp Templedog, etc etc. Please take the time to check out the specified and optional materials.

Created in 1985 by then Gaula fishing guide, Hakan Norling, the Templedog set the template for the ubiquitous 'Scandi' style we see today. Soft hackles, Flowing fox-hair wings with multiple components etc.

If you want to see the original, tyed by the master himself, then see the video link below:

Specific Guidance:

Stick with me here. I've listed the mandatory and optional components first and the colours second. Notice that only components and colours are discussed. Materials are entirely up to you.

Tag - Optional, Colour - Gold
    Butt - Mandatory, Colour - Orange
    Tail - Optional, Colour - Orange
    Rear Body - Mandatory, Colour - Gold
    Front Body - Mandatory, Colour - Black
    Rib - Optional, Colour - Gold
    Body Hackle / 1st Hackle - Optional, Colour - Badger dyed Orange, or Orange
    Underwing - Optional, Colour - Orange, or Brown / Fiery Brown
    Wing - Mandatory, Colour - Brown / Fiery Brown
    Overwing - Mandatory, Colour - Black
    Head Hackle / 2nd Hackle - Mandatory, Colour - Black
    Head - Colour and type (conehead / thread) both optional
    Hook - Any hook or shank or tube that you like.

- You can use holo / flour or part colour materials for any of the components if you like e.g. Holo Gold Tinsel, or Black Angel Hair.

- You can use more than one Hackle for the body & Head. e.g. Under and over black hackles at the head.

Ask any questions on the thread and I'll try to clarify for you. In essence this is pretty straightforward, tie something that shares the same colours and some components of an original Templedog.

**note**
    In Chris Mann's book, the tag is flourescent red floss. We will go with Hakan Norling and tie it in orange.

Eleven commandments:

1.The fly must have been tied for TOTM and should not have already appeared elsewhere on the forum or t'interweb. You can tie another versiion of one you have already posted but please don't just lift the photo from another thread to TOTM
    2. - This year I would like anybody who has started tying flies in the last 12 months to highlight this on their first entry. It would be great to see a 'best newcomer' shout at the end of the year.
    3. The first rule of TOTM is that everyone is welcome.
    4. The second rule of TOTM is that every day is a School day, try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at.
    5. The Third rule of TOTM is that variety is the spice of life, we'll try and do something different every month.
    6. The tying competition has a different theme each month.
    7. At the end of the month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will run the entirety of the following month.
    8. Points are awarded for simply entering, with additional points awarded for placing first, second and third.
    9. Whichever participant has the most points at the end of the year wins the prize.
    10. The competition will run from Feb - December 2019
    11. The December competition will be a 'Tie Of The Year' event, where members will vote for the best of the winning flies from the 10 monthly competitions.

1. Each entry will be worth 4 points. You get points for simply entering and these make a significant contribution to the end of year totals.
    2. First place will be worth 10 points.
    3. Second place will be worth 8 points.
    4. Third place will be worth 7 points.
    5. In the event of a tie for first, second, and/or third in number of votes, all tied participants get equivalent points.

This means you can place well in the whole event, without ever winning a single month's competition

Again, the Octover 2019 theme is going to be: Flies inspired by the Templedog

More rules:

1. One entry per participant.
    2. Entrys must have been tied specifically for the September 2019 TOTM, you can repeat previously posted patterns from here or elsewhere on the web but you need to tie a version specifically for TOTM and not just lift the picture from another location.
    3. The fly must have been tied by you.
    4. One photograph of a fly or flies following the theme. Entries with more than 1 photo will be immediately disqualified. ONE PHOTO ONLY.
    Last edited by Grassy_Knollington; 03-11-2019 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Poll Added

Can I tie this with an orange conehead?

Yes you can nwsalar

So THAT’S what the candle is for. Thought at first he was tying in a powercut 😁
    “Oh! You are the people ruining the rivers and environment.”
    Prince Philip, to Scottish fish farm employees at Holyrood, 1999

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood, But Is the Templedog only a Templedog if it’s on a tube, or will a heavy traditional Bartleet 1/0 be allowed? Was thinking of tying something on a Spey style theme with Templedog colours and components

Default Temple Dog

Marble Fox/Temple Dog/Pseudo Monkey and various colors of angel hair for the wing.

img_5082-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lyndonford View Post
    Apologies if I’ve misunderstood, But Is the Templedog only a Templedog if it’s on a tube, or will a heavy traditional Bartleet 1/0 be allowed? Was thinking of tying something on a Spey style theme with Templedog colours and components
    You can use any hook, shank or tube you like for this competition Lyndonford.

‘Inspired by’ is the watchword, an accurate replica is great, but so are all the individual takes we’ll get.
    Last edited by Grassy_Knollington; 13-10-2019 at 05:34 PM.

For the Mandatory items like Black or Gold or orange - does it have to a pure colour or can it be for example Orange or black sparkle dub or Gold litebrite etc? Can I put in an optional other hackle as long as the front is black - I notice that Hakan adds a black hackle after he's done the body hackle - and then puts a black hackle at the front? Thanks, Patrick
    Last edited by DrPatrickT; 14-10-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickT View Post
    For the Mandatory items like Black or Gold or orange - does it have to a pure colour or can it be for example Orange or black sparkle dub or Gold litebrite etc? Can I put in an optional other hackle as long as the front is black - I notice that Hakan adds a black hackle after he's done the body hackle - and then puts a black hackle at the front? Thanks, Patrick
    Colours: Holo / flouro / colour mixes are fie as long as they are dominated by The specified colour. e.g. Holo Tinsel, Flourofibre or Litebrite dubbing.

Hackles: Yes you can Dr P

Note: As we clarify these subjects I’ll update the OP.

Default Templedog - bit of blue and purple

Hi All,

Here's my shot at a Templedog - with some blue and purple.

All fox and fur brushed out to get rid of short hairs that make the wing clump (in my opinion).

Hakan puts in 1 brown underwing then a hackle, then another brown underwing and then the black hackle (and black wing over). I've changed the first underwing for blue, the body hackle for blue/black and the first hackle for purple guinea fowl.

img_0431_daylight-jpg

Tube: orange glitter with red inner
    Tag: gold oval
    Tail: hot orange artic ( brushed out to stop ‘clumping’)
    Butt: flou 4 hot orange
    Body: back, Gold; front, small amount of adhesive lead foil with black seal mixed with peacock dub over; BLW silver doctor blue hen stripped one side (looks like reverse badger) wound back and gold oval counter-rib forward
    Underwing 1: blue artic (brushed out) plus two strands gold flash
    Hackle 1: purple Guinea fowl
    Underwing 2: fire brown fox ( brushed out) with copper light brite and two gold flashabou each side
    Front hackle: black hen
    Overwing: brushed black Fox with small amount pseudo monkey
    JC
    Black head

Tight lines, Patrick
    Last edited by DrPatrickT; 19-10-2019 at 10:35 AM. Reason: daylight changed pic

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast