Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  402

Poll: Who tied your favourite fly from the September 2019 Tie of the Month Competition

This poll will close on 01-11-2019 at 10:25 PM

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default September 2019 Speybrothers Tie of the Month Competition - Red Alert!

Please review the entries for the September 2019 Speybrothers Tie of the Month Competition and cast a vote for your favourite fly.

Dr PatrickT

01-dr-patrickt-jpg

mc andy

02-mc-andy-jpg

Jockiescott

03-jockiescott-jpg

Andrzej

04-andrzej-jpg

Clydebuilt

05-clydebuilt-jpg

Macflycraft

06-macflycraft-jpg

ianmortimer

07-ianmortimer-jpeg

gwelsher

08-gwelsher-jpg

Perry Poker

09-perry-poker-jpeg

Doublehooked

10-doublehooked-jpg

nwsalar

11-nwsalar-jpg

Grassy_Knollington

12-gk-jpeg

AlanT

13-alant-jpg

GaryD

14-garyd-jpeg

Westie4566

15-westie4556-jpg

Silver Seeker

16-silver-seeker-jpg

CharlesW

17-charlesw-jpg

Billy Fish

18-billy-fish-jpeg

Lyndonford

19-lyndonford-jpeg

+++++++++++++++++++++ Original Post Only Below This Line - No Entries Below This Line+++++++++++++

Welcome to the September 2019 Tie of the Month competition.

This month the theme is Red Alert. Not the mid 1990s computer game, (which was outstanding), just the colour Red.

September is the back end. Even in the new normal of 98% stale fish after August, we still need to go fishing.

Red flies are supposed to stimulate aggression in Cock fish close to spawning and they have always been a top choice for late season fishing.

This month I would like everybody to tie a fly where the dominant colour is RED, not pink, not magenta, but RED.

Specific Guidance:

You can tie on any hook, shank or tube you choose.

You can use other colours, just make sure they donít overshadow that Red.

You can tie a well known Red pattern, e.g. the ĎRed Devilí; or you can tie a Red version of another pattern e.g. a ĎRed Editorí.

You can invent a predominately Red pattern of your own design.

Flouro Red is allowed.

Eleven commandments:

1.The fly must have been tied for TOTM and should not have already appeared elsewhere on the forum or t'interweb. You can tie another versiion of one you have already posted but please don't just lift the photo from another thread to TOTM
    2. - This year I would like anybody who has started tying flies in the last 12 months to highlight this on their first entry. It would be great to see a 'best newcomer' shout at the end of the year.
    3. The first rule of TOTM is that everyone is welcome.
    4. The second rule of TOTM is that every day is a School day, try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at.
    5. The Third rule of TOTM is that variety is the spice of life, we'll try and do something different every month.
    6. The tying competition has a different theme each month.
    7. At the end of the month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will run the entirety of the following month.
    8. Points are awarded for simply entering, with additional points awarded for placing first, second and third.
    9. Whichever participant has the most points at the end of the year wins the prize.
    10. The competition will run from Feb - December 2019
    11. The December competition will be a 'Tie Of The Year' event, where members will vote for the best of the winning flies from the 10 monthly competitions.

1. Each entry will be worth 4 points. You get points for simply entering and these make a significant contribution to the end of year totals.
    2. First place will be worth 10 points.
    3. Second place will be worth 8 points.
    4. Third place will be worth 7 points.
    5. In the event of a tie for first, second, and/or third in number of votes, all tied participants get equivalent points.

This means you can place well in the whole event, without ever winning a single month's competition

Again, the September 2019 theme is going to be: Red Flies

More rules:

1. One entry per participant.
    2. Entrys must have been tied specifically for the September 2019 TOTM, you can repeat previously posted patterns from here or elsewhere on the web but you need to tie a version specifically for TOTM and not just lift the picture from another location.
    3. The fly must have been tied by you.
    4. One photograph of a fly or flies following the theme. Entries with more than 1 photo will be immediately disqualified. ONE PHOTO ONLY.
    Last edited by Grassy_Knollington; 08-10-2019 at 10:21 PM.

Default Ayrshire Red Devilís

Iíll take a leaf out of wormoís book and go for Red Devilís

Copper Bottle or tube
    Red hook holder (optional)
    Silver tag
    Copper tinsel body, silver rib
    Red bucktail top and bottom
    Red midge flash and copper flash
    Orange Jc
    Red fluo 4 head

Tight lines, Patrick

img_0317_red-devil-jpg
    Last edited by DrPatrickT; 15-09-2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: upside down pic

Love red this time of year, my go to colour. Keeping with my feelers obsession! Heres my pattern for this month.

White feelers x4
    Orange krinkle mirror flash tail.
    Red schlappen
    Red Sean stanton bead small
    Red Guinea fowl
    Red bead to finish. Tyed on tubeworx tuning.

_20190908_122555-jpg

A great start to this month's TOTM two crackers on show already

There can only be one choice for me in the red theme. The Red & Gold Irish Shrimp.

A fly I first tied around 20 years ago and had success on it from that day on. I've shown it on the forum a few times before.

Quite a simple pattern with no middle hackle and a single body but one of the most effective.

I first tied it after looking through Peter O'Reilly's book and reading his comments on the fly. "A truly excellent Autumn fly. Those who use it claim that late running grilse and Autumn salmon cannot resist it."

The version in the photo is a variant of the one from O'Reilly's book which used vielings of red Swan tied above and below the hook. This version has done me fine over the years.

Tying is as follows:

Tag: oval gold
    Tail: GP breast
    Body: oval gold
    Front hackles: Creamy badger over red
    Eyes: Jungle Cock

img_20190908_144103-jpg
    Last edited by Jockiescott; 08-09-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

High quality entries this month so far

Oooft! Stunning Jockiescott

I'd better make that three crackers absolutely top notch jockiescott

This fly is normally tied in the temple dog style, here is the Autumn Glory in a bit different form.
    Attached Images Attached Images fly344-jpg 

I'll throw this in the mix

imag4431_1-jpg

Partridge Patriot Double
    Tag & Ribbing: Gold Uni French
    Rear Body: Copper Lurex
    Mid hackle: Red Cock
    Mid Wing: Red Bucktail and some red mosaic flash
    Front body: Lilac Lurex with gold rib
    Front Hackle: Red Cock
    Front Wing: Red Nayat over red bucktail and a couple of red krystal flash strands
    JC eyes

Cheers

Cb

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast