Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  288

Poll: Who tied your favourite fly from the August 2019 Tie of the Month Competition

This poll will close on 01-10-2019 at 09:59 PM

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Speybrothers Tie of the Month August 2019 - On Tweed

Roll up roll up for the entries for the August 2019 Tie of the Month Competition

Please take some time to look through the 13 fantastic flies and pick your favourite.

mc andy

01-mc-andy-jpg

Perry Poker

02-perry-poker-jpeg

KGM

03-kgm-jpg

gwelsher

04-gwelsher-jpg

Jockiescott

05-gwelsher-jpg

GaryD

06-garyd-jpeg

nwsalar

07-nwsalar-jpg

CharlieH

08-charlieh-jpg

ianmortimer

09-ianmortimer-jpeg

AlanT

10-alant-jpg

Andrzej

11-andrzej-jpg

Clydebuilt

12-clydebuilt-jpg

DrPatrickT

13-drpatrickt-jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++ No Entries Below This Line ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++

Welcome to the August 2019 Tie of the Month Competition. This month, the Theme is; flies which originate on Tweed.

This month we are looking at flies which originate from the river traditionally referred to as 'Tweed' as opposed to 'The Tweed'. Tweed is one of the big 4 of Scottish rivers and even in recent years it remains among the most productive Salmon rivers in the country. Tweedside is rich in history, through the medieval towns of Melrose, Selkirk and King Arthur's legendary burial place in the Eildon hills, so beloved of Sir Walter Scott. In the course of the river from Tweedswelll to the North Sea we can find some of the most storied of Salmon water in the United Kingdom. Floors, Hendersyde, Sprouston, Birgham are all names to excite the angler, if not the wallet.

Tweed has a rich history of fly tying, being one of the first and prime destinations for the Gentleman Salmon fisher. The river's course takes in much of the England / Scotland border over 97 miles, from the source at Tweed's Wells on Tweedsmuir, to the North Sea at Berwick Upon Tweed; via the Eildon Hills and rich farmland. The history of Salmon fishing on Tweed is also rich, from both a catching and fly-tying perspective. Scrope's 'Days and nights of Salmon fishing' describes Tweed Salmon fishing, by many methods during the mid 19th Century. Later on that century Kelson went on to classify a number of patterns as 'Tweed flies', including the legendary Jock Scott. Of course we now have modern classics like, er, the Boleside Shrimp

Joking aside, the Black Boar, the Comet, the Junction Shrimp and the Gledswood Shrimp are all common flies used today which originate on Tweed. This month, I'd like you all to pick a pattern which originates on Tweed and tie it on the hook or shank of your choice.

Good luck everyone!

Eleven commandments:

1.The fly must have been tied for TOTM and should not have already appeared elsewhere on the forum or t'interweb. You can tie another version of one you have already posted but please don't just lift the photo from another thread to TOTM
    2. - This year I would like anybody who has started tying flies in the last 12 months to highlight this on their first entry. It would be great to see a 'best newcomer shout at the end of the year.
    3. The first rule of TOTM is that everyone is welcome.
    4. The second rule of TOTM is that every day is a School day, try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at.
    5. The Third rule of TOTM is that variety is the spice of life, we'll try and do something different every month.
    6. The tying competition has a different theme each month.
    7. At the end of the month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will run the entirety of the following month.
    8. Points are awarded for simply entering, with additional points awarded for placing first, second and third.
    9. Whichever participant has the most points at the end of the year wins the prize.
    10. The competition will run from Feb - December 2019
    11. The December competition will be a 'Tie Of The Year' event, where members will vote for the best of the winning flies from the 10 monthly competitions.

1. Each entry will be worth 4 points. You get points for simply entering and these make a significant contribution to the end of year totals.
    2. First place will be worth 10 points.
    3. Second place will be worth 8 points.
    4. Third place will be worth 7 points.
    5. In the event of a tie for first, second, and/or third in number of votes, all tied participants get equivalent points.

This means you can place well in the whole event, without ever winning a single month's competition

Again, the August 2019 theme is going to be: Flies which originate on Tweed

More rules:

1. One entry per participant.
    2. The Flies must have been tied specifically for the July 2019 TOTM, you can repeat previously posted patterns from here or elsewhere on the web but you need to tie a version specifically for TOTM and not just lift the picture from another location.
    3. The fly must have been tied by you.
    4. One photograph of a fly or flies following the theme. Entries with more than 1 photo will be immediately disqualified. ONE PHOTO ONLY.
    Last edited by Grassy_Knollington; 02-09-2019 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Typos

Had to be the junction shrimp for me this month, always have a few in my box. Never given it the feelers though. So new ground for me

_20190812_202937-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mc andy View Post
    Had to be the junction shrimp for me this month, always have a few in my box. Never given it the feelers though. So new ground for me

_20190812_202937-jpg
    That's awesome McAndy!!!

Any chance of a list of materials? I would like add a few of those to my box.

Stunning fly.

I'm off to order some orange JC specifically for this pattern! 😉
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Quote Originally Posted by mc andy View Post

_20190812_202937-jpg
    Thats a cracker, one of my favourite flys

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    That's awesome McAndy!!!

Any chance of a list of materials? I would like add a few of those to my box.

Stunning fly.

I'm off to order some orange JC specifically for this pattern! 😉
    Thanks for the kind comments chaps.

Recipe is
    Few orange boar bristles
    Opal holographic flash 4 strands
    Hot Orange schlappen
    4 white sean stanton feelers
    Black floss body
    Md oval silver rib
    Head orange strung saddle
    White schlappen
    Few strands uv flash
    Hot orange jc
    Red sean stanton bead size large (I know it looks orange but called red)

Cheers again for the feedback, andy

Cracker andy always got a few of them in my box for the tweed, and the rocket variant

Default Jock Scott

Thought Id give something different a go this month. A Jock Scott tied on a size 4 Loop double.

2c436d5b-dda0-40d5-afb5-9dbfbc88882f-jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by PerryPoker View Post
    Thought Id give something different a go this month. A Jock Scott tied on a size 4 Loop double.

2c436d5b-dda0-40d5-afb5-9dbfbc88882f-jpeg
    Really nice tie - is that the Davie McPhail version? I'm just wondering if its Rhea that you used for the wing.
    Last edited by iainmortimer; 13-08-2019 at 03:00 PM.

Default Thunder and Lightning

t-l-jpg

As I understand it, attributed to James Wright the famous Tweed fly dresser so I'm assuming it originated on the Tweed.
    To one who has roved on the mountains afar
    Oh! For the crags that are wild and magestic
    The steep frowning glories of dark Lochnagar.

Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post
    t-l-jpg

As I understand it, attributed to James Wright the famous Tweed fly dresser so I'm assuming it originated on the Tweed.
    Stunning tying KGM

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast