Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  331

View Poll Results: Who tied your favourite fly from the August 2018 Tie of the Month competition?

Voters
48. This poll is closed
  • PerryPoker

4 8.33%
  • SnapT14

2 4.17%
  • nwsalar

0 0%
  • Tawsalmon

1 2.08%
  • Andrjez

10 20.83%
  • Jockiescott

11 22.92%
  • AlanT

1 2.08%
  • DrPatrickT

11 22.92%
  • Nikolas

2 4.17%
  • Grassy_Knollington

3 6.25%
  • Ryan Houston

0 0%
  • CharlesW

1 2.08%
  • GaryD

2 4.17%
  • Starburst Shrimp

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default August 2018 Tie of the Month - Palmered Hackles

Please see the entries for the August 2018 Tie of the Month Competition - Palmered Hackles

Take a look and cast your vote. Some crackers as usual and I'm going to find it very hard to choose just one to vote for.

PerryPoker

01-perrypoker-jpeg

SnapT14

02-snapt14-jpeg

nwsalar

03-nwsalar-jpg

Tawsalmon

04-tawsalamon-jpeg

Andrjez

05-andrzej-jpg

Jockiescott

06-jockiescott-jpg

AlanT

07-alant-jpg

DrPatrickT

08-drpatrickt-jpg

Nikolas

09-nikolas-jpg

Grassy_Knollington

10-grassy_knollington-jpeg

Ryan Houston

11-ryan-houston-jpg

CharlesW

12-charlesw-jpg

GaryD

13-garyd-jpeg

Starburst Shrimp

14-starburst-shrimp-jpg

14 Great entries there, pick just one and cast your vote please.

Thanks in advance

GK

-------------------------------------------No Entries below this line, orginal post only----------------------------------

Welcome to the August 2018 Tie Of The Month Competition - Palmered Hackles

Apologies for the delay on this one, I have been travelling and away from a desktop / laptop for longer than expected. Trying to C&P the post on an iPhone is not a pleasant experience, hence the wait for the August competition - sorry folks.

The theme for August 2018 is flies with Palmered Hackles.

This month I want everyone to tie a fly with a Palmered Hackle. To qualify, the hackle must be wound over at least 50% of the length of your hook / shank or tube.

There are many different schools of thought in Salmon fly dressing. While there is always a common purpose - to attract a fish, there is often some tension between the different ways of achieving this. One of the most obvious areas of divergence lies in how fly tyers seek to impart movement to their flies. The hairwing tradition from the 1950s onwards is generally focused towards lightly dressed flies with relatively immobile materials. In contrast the modern Scandinavian, or Ross Macdonald's take on the Scottish Shrimp lean towards more heavily dressed flies with a combination of softer materials.

One traditional method of imparting movement and 'presence' in a fly is through the use of a Palmered Hackle. Common in loch or lough flies, classic Victorian salmon flies, spey flies bombers, bugs and the Templedog style, the palmered hackle has wide application. Tyers can use a wide variety of hackle types to impart the characteristics and shape they desire.

We should see a lot of variety this month and I look forward to the entries.

Changes to the TOTM Format for 2018:

1.The fly must have been tied for TOTM and should not have already appeared elsewhere on the forum or t'interweb. You can tie another versiion of one you have already posted but please don't just lift the photo from another thread to TOTM
    2. - This year I would like anybody who has started tying flies in the last 12 months to highlight this on their first entry. It would be great to see a 'best newcomer' shout at the end of the year.
    3. - The competition will run From Feb - December with entries from Feb - November. December will be a 'Tie of the Year' with a vote for the best fly from the 10 monthly competitions. In a superbowl / superleague style the winning fly in 'Tie Of The Year will earn 20 points. ooooooohhhh, aaaahhhhh.

Points of Clarification:

You can tie the fly on any hook, shank (Waddington or articulated) or tube.
    The palmered hackle must be wound over at least 50% of the length of your hook / shank or tube.
    The hackle can be natural or artificial.
    Dubbing loops can be used to substitute for a hackle but the shape and form of a palmered hackle must be clear.

The Nine Commandments:

1. The first rule of TOTM is that everyone is welcome.
    2. The second rule of TOTM is that every day is a School day, try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at.
    3. The Third rule of TOTM is that variety is the spice of life, we'll try and do something different every month.
    4. The tying competition has a different theme each month.
    5. At the end of the month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will run the entirety of the following month.
    6. Points are awarded for simply entering, with additional points awarded for placing first, second and third.
    7. Whichever participant has the most points at the end of the year wins the prize.
    8. The competition will run from Feb - December 2018
    9. The December competition will be a 'Tie Of The Year' event, where members will vote for the best of the winning flies from the 10 monthly competitions.

Points work thus:

1. Each entry will be worth 4 points. You get points for simply entering. Looking at the table, there is only one reason I snuck in ahead of Jockiescott in 2017: I entered more competitions.
    2. First place will be worth 10 points.
    3. Second place will be worth 8 points.
    4. Third place will be worth 7 points.
    5. In the event of a tie for first, second, and/or third in number of votes, all tied participants get equivalent points.

This means you can win the whole event, without ever winning a single month's competition simply by participating.

Again, the August 2018 theme is going to be: Palmered Hackles

RULES:

1. One entry per participant.
    2. The Fly must have been tied specifically for TOTM, you can repeat previously posted patterns from here or elsewhere on the web but you need to tie a version specifically for TOTM and not just lift the picture from another location.
    3. The fly must have been tied by you.
    4. One photograph of a fly or flies following the theme. Entries with more than 1 photo will be immediately disqualified. ONE PHOTO ONLY.
    5. More than one fly in the photograph is acceptable, they may not be identical (ie. one can be upon a tube and another upon a hook or one on a single hook and another on a double, etc.) but they must all be the same tying of the pattern.
    Last edited by Grassy_Knollington; 03-09-2018 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Poll Added

Default Green Highlander

A variant of the Green Highlander to incorporate a palmered body.

d651f219-c0b3-4481-a602-832b56125f27-jpeg

Tag: Flat silver tinsel
    Tail: Topping
    Butt: Ostrich herl
    Rear body: Yellow floss
    Rear body hackle: Yellow cock
    Front body: Green floss
    Front bidy hackle: Green cock
    Rib: Oval Silver tinsel
    Under wing: Hot orange fox tail
    Wing: Green fox tail
    Jungle Cock cheeks

Quote Originally Posted by PerryPoker View Post
    A variant of the Green Highlander to incorporate a palmered body.

d651f219-c0b3-4481-a602-832b56125f27-jpeg

Tag: Flat silver tinsel
    Tail: Topping
    Butt: Ostrich herl
    Rear body: Yellow floss
    Rear body hackle: Yellow cock
    Front body: Green floss
    Front bidy hackle: Green cock
    Rib: Oval Silver tinsel
    Under wing: Hot orange fox tail
    Wing: Green fox tail
    Jungle Cock cheeks

They would love that in Norway, great tie.

cracker.

Default Tay Raider

Heres my contribution.....

A Tay Raider on a size 9 Salar.

Very difficult to get a decent photo, especially showing the jungle cock, which is tied above and below!
    Attached Images Attached Images 0dfe1361-8fbb-4a43-ae5d-cae84655b5af-jpeg 
    Last edited by SnapT14; 17-08-2018 at 12:11 PM.
    " Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to consider, and for fools to pass by without consideration. "

Excellent entries so far and a very high bar already set.

I just don't know what to tie!!! Traditional? Scandi? Hairwing? Longtail???

I've changed my mind so many times my head is spinning. Hopefully get something put together over the weekend.

This could and should be a real cracker of a TOTM.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Default Green Bomber

This was tough because I have two favorite bugs and a couple of bombers I always use that all have palmered bodies. The Green Machine was my second most productive fly this season in Labrador. But, I went with the fly that brought me my first dead drift dry fly salmon.

blog4084-jpg

Default A Dunkeld/W. Gunn fusion

Size 12 low water iron

79961044-333b-4670-9f9a-90382b9023dd-jpeg
    "One thing becomes clearer as one gets older and one’s fishing experience increases, and that is the paramount importance of one’s fishing companions." - John Ashley Cooper

Shrimp type fly with half of the body palmered with GP red breast feather, brushed down. One side of the feather was removed to get a bit more sparse effect. Size #8.
    Attached Images Attached Images fly243-jpg 

This is a version of a Fiery Brown that I stumbled across online a couple of years ago. I've tied a couple over the years but tied this one for TOTM. I had this tied, then thought I'd enter a 'Faughan Purple' instead but the hackle, for the palmered hackle, broke as I wound on the first turn so I spat the dummy out and decided just to go with this instead.

Body hackles of blue and Fiery Brown wound together.

This fly will be getting very wet this evening as soon as I get to the river. Hopefully that won't be the only thing it gets!
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast