Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  139
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default June 2018 Tie of the Month - Salmon and Sea Trout

Welcome to the June 2018 Tie Of The Month Competition - Salmon and Sea Trout

Sorry about the delay folks.

We are now in June, traditionally the start of the Sea Trout run on most systems and with Walleye's cracking Wear Sea Trout in the Pictures Thread, this seems especially appropriate.

This month our theme has been suggested by our very own Torrish.

Everyone has to tie the fly they would use for both Salmon and Sea Trout.

I'm not sure that there is any real reason for differences between the patterns we use for both Salmon and Sea Trout, but there are clear differences. Many of us have been happy with singles for our Sea Trout fishing while preferring doubles and trebles for Salmon, Waddington shanks are still very popular Sea Trout flies and a lot of patterns are designed more deliberately around shape and sillouette. Many successful Sea trout flies also are of much simpler construction than most of our favorite Salmon patterns.

Weather you tie the fly you'd use at the end of a long night session or the one you'd tie on after a good flood when both fish are running, there is lots of choice and I suspect everyone will have a different take on their favorite pattern

Happy tying everyone!

Changes to the TOTM Format:

1.The fly must have been tied for TOTM and should not have already appeared elsewhere on the forum or t'interweb. You can tie another versiion of one you have already posted but please don't just lift the photo from another thread to TOTM
    2. - This year I would like anybody who has started tying flies in the last 12 months to highlight this on their first entry. It would be great to see a 'best newcomer' shout at the end of the year.
    3. - The competition will run From Feb - December with entries from Feb - November. December will be a 'Tie of the Year' with a vote for the best fly from the 10 monthly competitions. In a superbowl / superleague style the winning fly in 'Tie Of The Year will earn 20 points. ooooooohhhh, aaaahhhhh.

Points of Clarification:

You can tie the fly on any hook, shank (Waddington or articulated) or tube.

Integrity rules, let the voters decide but please don't push the rules or bang in a Silver Stoat or a Cascade.

The Nine Commandments:
    1. The first rule of TOTM is that everyone is welcome.
    2. The second rule of TOTM is that every day is a School day, try something new or unfamiliar, as well as the things you know you are good at.
    3. The Third rule of TOTM is that variety is the spice of life, we'll try and do something different every month.
    4. The tying competition has a different theme each month.
    5. At the end of the month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will run the entirety of the following month.
    6. Points are awarded for simply entering, with additional points awarded for placing first, second and third.
    7. Whichever participant has the most points at the end of the year wins the prize.
    8. The competition will run from Feb - December 2018
    9. The December competition will be a 'Tie Of The Year' event, where members will vote for the best of the winning flies from the 10 monthly competitions.

Points work thus:

1. Each entry will be worth 4 points. You get points for simply entering. Looking at the 2017 table, there is only one reason I snuck in ahead of Jockiescott, I entered more competitions.
    2. First place will be worth 10 points.
    3. Second place will be worth 8 points.
    4. Third place will be worth 7 points.
    5. In the event of a tie for first, second, and/or third in number of votes, all tied participants get equivalent points.This means you can win the whole event, without ever winning a single month's competition simply by participating.

Again, the June 2018 theme is going to be: Salmon and Sea Trout

RULES:

1. One entry per participant.
    2. The Fly must have been tied specifically for TOTM, you can repeat previously posted patterns from here or elsewhere on the web but you need to tie a version specifically for TOTM and not just lift the picture from another location.
    3. The fly must have been tied by you.
    4. One photograph of a fly or flies following the theme. Entries with more than 1 photo will be immediately disqualified. ONE PHOTO ONLY.
    5. More than one fly in the photograph is acceptable, they may not be identical (ie. one can be upon a tube and another upon a hook or one on a single hook and another on a double, etc.) but they must all be the same tying of the pattern.
    Last edited by Grassy_Knollington; 11-06-2018 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Theme was Torrish’s suggestion.

I'm only half a year late to the party but I could put in a strong end of year run!!!

I don't fish for trout much but it was one of these I got my last trout on at night. About 5 years ago.

I showed one of these on a double during the week but here is one on a single which I have been told is how the original was tied. With a red butt rather than halved body.

The Executioner.

Edit: I'll have to try and get a better picture!
    Last edited by Jockiescott; 10-06-2018 at 04:57 PM.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Default Brown Turkey variant

Can't remember when the last time I tied a feather-wing fly. Had to make some material replacements as didn't have all needed for this pattern. Size #9.
    Attached Images Attached Images fly227-jpg 

Quote Originally Posted by Grassy_Knollington View Post
    This month our theme has been suggested by our very own AlanT
    I know my memory is getting bad but was it?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
    I know my memory is getting bad but was it?
    No, on looking properly it was Torrish. The reason I made such a grievous error was that I was in a hurry and just looked down the inbox to see who emailed last on the subject of TOTM. That was you,,,, but on a totally different subject, I’d forgotten somebody’s picture or similar.

Editing now.

Thanks.

Default Executioner

My entry this month is the executioner,I've had salmon and sea trout on this pattern
    Attached Images Attached Images _20180611_004553-jpg 
    The early bird gets first run down the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Grassy_Knollington View Post
    No, on looking properly it was Torrish. The reason I made such a grievous error was that I was in a hurry and just looked down the inbox to see who emailed last on the subject of TOTM. That was you,,,, but on a totally different subject, I’d forgotten somebody’s picture or similar.

Editing now.

Thanks.
    Only pulling your leg, it could quite easily have been me as I'm prone to getting ebay parcels that I can't remember ordering especially after a sesh. . ..

Quote Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
    Only pulling your leg, it could quite easily have been me as I'm prone to getting ebay parcels that I can't remember ordering especially after a sesh. . ..
    Nae worries Alan, no offence taken at all, thanks for letting me know.

Grand little fly for both salmon and sea trout last thing at night.

black-magenta-jpg
    Fish where there is most fish and you are 90% there to becoming a successful angler.

does a worm count?
    many men go fishing their whole lives without knowing it is not fish they are after-- HENRY DAVID THOREAU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast