Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  148

View Poll Results: Who tied your favourite fly from the May 2018 Tie of The Month Competition?

Voters
33. This poll is closed
  • DrPatrickT

5 15.15%
  • Grassy_Knollington

4 12.12%
  • Andrzej

4 12.12%
  • mc andy

2 6.06%
  • Canewizard

0 0%
  • nwsalar

10 30.30%
  • GaryD

1 3.03%
  • Pete

2 6.06%
  • AlanT

4 12.12%
  • Billy Fish

1 3.03%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by billy fish View Post
    I need to copy this one.
    Would it tie up on a Spey tube ?
    Colin.
    Something like this.

img_5049-jpg

Colin

Hi everyone

The May TOTM Poll is up, don't get muddled, get your votes in!!

Thanks everyone for the entries

Default Quick question Dr P

Superb fly Dr P.
    Could I ask what are the 'Trailing Barred feeler' type things, orange & black barred?
    I have been looking for similar, but don't know what they are.

Mel....

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickT View Post
    Hi All, not had much experience of muddler hair cuts!

I’ll call this the last embers. Could be ‘last call for alcohol’ by the way I’ve butchered the deer hair 😄😄👊

Tag: gold
    Tag 2: silver wire
    Tail: ‘reverse orange badger’
    Tag 3: red flou floss
    Body: gold tinsel, silver wire rib
    Wing1: ‘reverse orange badger’
    Wing 2: orange lady Amherst
    Wing 3: JC
    Head: Brown coastal deer badly trimmed
    Head: black thread

All the best, Patrick

Attachment 29993

Quote Originally Posted by lowforcefly View Post
    Superb fly Dr P.
    Could I ask what are the 'Trailing Barred feeler' type things, orange & black barred?
    I have been looking for similar, but don't know what they are.

Mel....
    Those are the orange Lady Amherst fibres that he’s called ‘wing 2’

As in Lady Amherst Pheasant - Lathkill Fly Fishing
    or Nature's Spirit Dyed Lady Amherst Pheasant Tails - Funky Fly Tying

Hi Mel, the trailing ‘fronds’ are Lady Amherst pheasant feather fibres. I got mine from funky fly- but think you can get them from essential fly or foxy tails. They seem quite robust for tying but I can imagine one chomp from a salmon’s ( or especially a sea trout) mouth and they’ll get damaged (you could say same of pheasant herl). My fly isn’t probably a practical fly to fish if I was expecting it to stay intact. But a fly a fish is a bargain in my mind. They are perhaps form over function - but they do look nice. All the best and tight lines, patrick

Ps. I remember fishing for trout near low force 30 years ago. Beautiful looking river there.
    Last edited by DrPatrickT; 06-06-2018 at 12:40 AM.

Default Low Force

Thanks for the info. Patrick,
    totally agree with the 1:1 ratio, it would be a vast improvement for me ? I probably lose 20+ flies in trees, snags, or bad casting, per fish anyway?
    I had seen them on flies I had bought, but didn't know what they were? I wanted something visible, but not to detract from the main body of the fly. I have looked the stripped quills but they don't have vibrancy of colour I was looking for, these look spot on ....Ta!
    I would personally, most definetly give your fly a go, at the back end especially !
    In my limited experience, a Yellow & Black version would go for most of the season on the Tees, with Orange / Red coming in to play early September. I would think the ST would like it as well, fished on the surface ?
    I live about 10mins walk from low force, but haven't fished it for some years, Trout, or Salmon.
    The whole of that stretch is wall to wall canoes now ? There are several outfits running canoe days /schools, occupying most of the available water, through the week. On a weekend it can be 50+ , and they don't have any respect, especially for anglers. I tend to fish below middleton, and we don't get so many, as not the white water they crave, but have noticed their increasing even there.
    But you are right it is a lovely river, with loads of potential !

Mel...

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickT View Post
    Hi Mel, the trailing ‘fronds’ are Lady Amherst pheasant feather fibres. I got mine from funky fly- but think you can get them from essential fly or foxy tails. They seem quite robust for tying but I can imagine one chomp from a salmon’s ( or especially a sea trout) mouth and they’ll get damaged (you could say same of pheasant herl). My fly isn’t probably a practical fly to fish if I was expecting it to stay intact. But a fly a fish is a bargain in my mind. They are perhaps form over function - but they do look nice. All the best and tight lines, patrick

Ps. I remember fishing for trout near low force 30 years ago. Beautiful looking river there.

Default Winner!

1st placeAnother clear winner, when nwsalar takes the prize it usually is by a clear margin and this is no exception, what a stunning fly, great hair spinning and inventiveness to work the dear hair into the Snaelda / Francis body shape. Well done!

2nd place Worryingly consistent, Dr PatricT, when I do the standings he's sure to be in and around the leaders at the half way point. Unlike the Premier league that doesn't mean he's going to win it, but it does mean he's having a great season, er tying competition.

3rd place The medal they were all really after, I take great pleasure in announcing that Andrjez and AlanT join yours truly on a very crowded podium to share a can of Special Brew.

Well done everyone, a low number of votes, but we don't have to give in to the **** fishing, the dreadful water conditions and the world cup. It's high summer but, as John Power once sang: Don't go down to Doledrums people

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123