Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  366

View Poll Results: Who tied your favourite fly from the March 2018 Tie of the Month competition?

Voters
41. This poll is closed
  • Piker20

0 0%
  • nwsalar

2 4.88%
  • Ryan Houston

1 2.44%
  • Ypres

2 4.88%
  • Wormo

1 2.44%
  • Grassy_Knollington

3 7.32%
  • Silver Seeker

7 17.07%
  • Nikolas

0 0%
  • AlanT

6 14.63%
  • mc andy

4 9.76%
  • DrPatrickT

1 2.44%
  • Canewizard

0 0%
  • Andzrej

0 0%
  • Perry Poker

3 7.32%
  • GaryD

1 2.44%
  • Suirspey

0 0%
  • Starburst Shrimp

4 9.76%
  • Tone-S

1 2.44%
  • Torrish

2 4.88%
  • Hemmy

0 0%
  • Rainclouds

1 2.44%
  • Slaneybs

0 0%
  • LouisCha

2 4.88%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
    This is what I'd fish after a storm, my version of a copper WG. Its a wee wisp of a thing tied on a size 10 Bill Coe treble (1" long overall), easy to tie. Nice on a waddington too.

Just tying this fly took me back to last year, swinging it through the glassy lies with a downstream mend, fluttering it in front of the ST.
    Would look good on a needle tube too.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldnít be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

Until now, I've never given thought to what I'd put on after a thunderstorm. The colours on this one have a hint of lightening bolt about them, so I'd chuck it on! Particularly as, according to the original post, there's good water on. Easy to tie, but very effective...
    Last edited by salmo salar1979; 14-03-2018 at 02:47 PM.
    The ridged lip set upstream, you flail
    Inland again; your exile in the sea
    Unconditionally cancelled by the pull
    Of your home water's gravity.

Seamus Heaney

Quote Originally Posted by salmo salar1979 View Post
    Until now, I've never given thought to what I'd put on after a thunderstorm. The colours on this one have a hint of lightening bolt about them, so I'd chuck it on! Particularly as, according to the original post, there's good water on. Easy to tie, but very effective...

Attachment 28647
    very nice SS and no doubt effective after a good downpour and nice water in the river.. the other part of this month's comp is that is has to be tied in approx 7mins.. not sure if you saw that part.. but your fly is 'very tidy' to be tied in that time?
    so much fishing, so little time

<a href="Hidden Content style="text-decoration:underline;">Andrew - Loop Akademi Fly Dresser</a>

Quote Originally Posted by ryan houston View Post
    Attachment 28376thats what i would fish and then change the cone colour as the water started to clear then drop down a size or so as it dropped and then start using it on a hook
    again another great fly.. but Ryan did you see the part as well about tying 'your submission' in appox 7mins while listening to the sound track?

<a href="Hidden Content style="text-decoration:underline;">Andrew - Loop Akademi Fly Dresser</a>

Quote Originally Posted by wormo View Post
    this creates it's own thunder......and it's a beast too.....March 2018 Tie Of The Month Competition - Riders on the Storm

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    is there not a limit to hook size ? whats the 7 minutes about ?

Personally I wouldn' t fish after a thunderstorm ! as rivers all colour up with heavy rainfall often resulting in a flash flood . even after a heavy downpour of approx 30 mins , I find fish go right off the take and all the white froth vanishes ,hopeless conditions
    Last edited by New Era; 13-03-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by New Era View Post
    is there not a limit to hook size ? whats the 7 minutes about ?

Personally I wouldn' t fish after a thunderstorm ! as rivers all colour up with heavy rainfall often resulting in a flash flood . even after a heavy downpour of approx 30 mins , I find fish go right off the take and all the white froth vanishes ,hopeless conditions
    Them must grow em big down Wormo's way

'To make things a bit more interesting and keep with the theme; you need to tie the fly you'd fish that summer day after the storm has passed and you need to do it in the time it takes to play 'Riders on the Storm' by The Doors. '
    Last edited by easky; 13-03-2018 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by easky View Post
    very nice SS and no doubt effective after a good downpour and nice water in the river.. the other part of this month's comp is that is has to be tied in approx 7mins.. not sure if you saw that part.. but your fly is 'very tidy' to be tied in that time?
    Now now, Andrew, could you not have sent me a PM instead of embarrassing me on a public forum .

Why did you decide to enforce the 'rules' when I posted? And Wait this length of time to mention to Ryan...Ryan posted his fly eight days ago and you liked it soon after. Why not pull Ryan's then, instead of just after mines is pulled? I can assume then that you had no issue with it. Essentially, Ryans would have been fine had i not posted mine. By the way Ryan i love your fly, and no problem with it. There are other flies this month that are intricate enough, but no mention of time. Do you know for sure how long it took for me to tie mine, or anyone else for that matter?

I didn't think this thing was that serious, Andrew, but maybe it is......

There are flies constanstly entered (some of which have won TOTM) that break the rule below. Why aren't they pulled if the rules are so strict?

4. More than one fly in the photograph is acceptable, they may not be identical (ie. one can be upon a tube and another upon a hook or one on a single hook and another on a double, etc.) but they must all be the same tying of the pattern.

I thought this was just a bit of fun?!

Anyway, my entry is as good as dead this month , so I'll remove it....

Regards, Mark
    Last edited by salmo salar1979; 13-03-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Seamus Heaney

Quote Originally Posted by salmo salar1979 View Post
    Now now, Andrew, could you not have sent me a PM instead of embarrassing me on a public forum .

Why did you decide to enforce the 'rules' when I posted? And Wait this length of time to mention to Ryan...Ryan posted his fly eight days ago and you liked it soon after. Why not pull Ryan's then, instead of just after mines is pulled? I can assume then that you had no issue with it. Essentially, Ryans would have been fine had i not posted mine. By the way Ryan i love your fly, and no problem with it. There are other flies this month that are intricate enough, but no mention of time. Do you know for sure how long it took for me to tie mine, or anyone else for that matter?

I didn't think this thing was that serious, Andrew, but maybe it is......

There are flies constanstly entered (some of which have won TOTM) that break the rule below. Why aren't they pulled if the rules are so strict?

4. More than one fly in the photograph is acceptable, they may not be identical (ie. one can be upon a tube and another upon a hook or one on a single hook and another on a double, etc.) but they must all be the same tying of the pattern.

I thought this was just a bit of fun?!

Anyway, my entry is as good as dead this month , so I'll remove it....

Regards, Mark
    I was only jesting Mark hence the emojis.. and as you will see I posted about Ryanís as well at the same time.. and wormis is light hearted entry too.. so cool your jets and donít take things so seriously.. lifeís too short 😉😊

Quote Originally Posted by easky View Post
    I was only jesting Mark hence the emojis.. and as you will see I posted about Ryanís as well at the same time.. and wormis is light hearted entry too.. so cool your jets and donít take things so seriously.. lifeís too short 😉😊
    Come on Andrew, sure it's easy to wack a couple of emoji's onto the end and say you were jesting. I think if you're honest with yourself you'll realise it was you who took things too seriously.

Anyway, listen, don't want to fall out with anyone over a wee fly tying competition. 🙂

As you say, life is too short 🙂

Seamus Heaney

I hope this is all in jest...no need for bad feeling in the fly tying section.

Any other section is fair game but not here lads it's the best platform, IMO, on the net for flees on show.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast