Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  313
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Quote Originally Posted by nwsalar View Post
    4/0 Byron Bjerke Jock Scott

Fully gutted; tied to bring me luck in the lottery for the Cascapedia on November 1st.

Attachment 24239
    Absolutely fantastic nwsalar

Default Nice Flea there

Quote Originally Posted by nwsalar View Post
    4/0 Byron Bjerke Jock Scott

Fully gutted; tied to bring me luck in the lottery for the Cascapedia on November 1st.

Attachment 24239
    Thats a cracking fly there NW.

love the name and the colours...and of course the quality.

St
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent or reoccurring opposition from mediocre minds, if A is a success in life, then A equals X plus Y plus Z. Work is X; Y is play, and Z is keeping your mouth shut, we can be a genius if we CHOOSE but if we JUDGE a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

ST
    Posh Tosh, Executioner, Stoat Blue Variant, Park Shrimp.........

42 and counting

Stunning nwsalar!!!

Sometimes it could come down to the toss of a coin to decide which fly to vote for. I might have to roll some dice this month!!!
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Lightbulb Connemarra Black

Tied this a while ago and certainly has no place beside some the earlier entries... probably the best/strongest field I think we've had on TOTM.. outstanding entries guys
    Attached Images Attached Images fb_img_1508681113520-jpg 
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit

Quote Originally Posted by FaughanPurple View Post
    Tied this a while ago and certainly has no place beside some the earlier entries... probably the best/strongest field I think we've had on TOTM.. outstanding entries guys
    Lovely fly and one of my favourite trout flies.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mar Lodge On #5 Daichi 2051 Alec Jackson Spey Hook.

e7ae0e22-8539-4c7e-8512-974ef702cb12-jpg

Left out the GP topping and the rear JC, just donít have the skills to make them look right on this size IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Grassy_Knollington View Post

Left out the GP topping and the rear JC, just donít have the skills to make them look right on this size IMO.
    Great looking fly GK, and know what you mean about skill levels. Tried a yellow silk but just couldnít get the wing right and abandoned after about 10 attempts, a case of ambition outstripping ability (bodies were beautiful though ).

Default .....

Quote Originally Posted by FaughanPurple View Post
    Still a great wee flea there buddy..

st
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent or reoccurring opposition from mediocre minds, if A is a success in life, then A equals X plus Y plus Z. Work is X; Y is play, and Z is keeping your mouth shut, we can be a genius if we CHOOSE but if we JUDGE a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

ST

42 and counting

Default .....

Quote Originally Posted by Grassy_Knollington View Post

e7ae0e22-8539-4c7e-8512-974ef702cb12-jpg

Wow!!

This is not going to be easy!!
    great fly....

ST

42 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by GaryD View Post
    Great looking fly GK, and know what you mean about skill levels. Tried a yellow silk but just couldnít get the wing right and abandoned after about 10 attempts, a case of ambition outstripping ability (bodies were beautiful though ).
    There are a couple of prototypes on the fireplace ready for a brushing into a 'mixed wing' . As a total married wing novice, my observations were:

1. Your materials have got to be good, if there is a kink or flaw in the feather fiber it won't marry up properly and might split when tied in. I've got 4 'B' grade Turkey feathers and there is only 1 that is really any good, my GP tail is a side tail not the centre tail, the light mottled Turkey has small barbs etc etc. As for GP crest feathers ""***@@@!!!

2. Less is more, My first few wings looked ok from one side but they were badly folded on the other and often separated when manipulated. Reducing the number of fibers of each material gave a much better result, for the novice at least. Trying to fit in all the materials of a fly designed at about 1/0 onto a #5 or 6 isn't always feasible, I just couldn't get a topping to look right and the we JC feathers in the tail didn't add anything IMHO.

3. It's important to match the feathers by strength as well as length. To many strands of Goose shoulder or the softer brown turkey instead of the more rigid light mottled or GP tail meant the wing folded. Each strand has to overlap a bit at the end or the tail will tend to separate under tension.

4. Make the married wings up in advance.
    Last edited by Grassy_Knollington; 22-10-2017 at 06:50 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567