Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  138
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: What is your favourite fly from the April 2017 Tie of the Month

Voters
37. This poll is closed
  • AlanT

3 8.11%
  • Speyclavedave

7 18.92%
  • silver seeker

3 8.11%
  • Perry Poker

8 21.62%
  • GaryD

1 2.70%
  • Ypres

1 2.70%
  • FaughanPurple

3 8.11%
  • Grassy_Knollington

2 5.41%
  • Torrish

4 10.81%
  • nwsalar

5 13.51%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default April 2017 Tie Of The Month Competition - A Fly for the Lurig pool

Welcome to the April 2017 Tie Of The Month Competition - A Fly for the Lurig Pool

When all is said and done, we have to tie our creations onto the line and catch the elusive Salmon. This month I want you to tie the fly you'd use at a particular time for a particular pool.

The pool in question is the Lurig on the Grantown Association water of the River Spey.

Let me set the scene, , , , , , It's early June you've arrived at the river bank bright and early on a Monday morning; the water has been rested. It's nice and cloudy, a rising glass 14 degrees air and 54 degrees water. The river's running off a 3ft spate at 6" above summer and you've got the pool all to yourself....What's it going to be? full floater, hover, or sink tip. A Run through with a Sunray to surprise them or start off with the smallest fly in the box on a single handed rod . . .Decisions decisions.

This is what it looks like: Photos courtesy of Allysshrimp from the forum and the YouTube video by a guy called Stuart Norris.

Top end of the pool from left bank:

lurig-1-jpg

Looking back up pool from the left bank:

lurig-3-jpg

View down the pool from the Casting Platform on right bank:

lurig-4-jpg

Video of the pool: - make sure you increase the resolution on the video.

Points of Clarification
    You can tie the fly on any hook or tube.

ABOUT THE COMPETITION:

1. The first rule of TOTM is that Everyone needs to keep talking about TOTM, the second is that everyone is welcome, experts or amateurs, lets get the entries in. The third rule is that we need more entries, keep them coming!
    2. The tying competition has a different theme each month.
    3. At the end of the month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will run the entirety of the following month.
    4. Points are awarded for simply entering, with additional points awarded for placing first, second and third.
    5. Whichever participant has the most points at the end of the year wins the prize.
    6. The competition will run from Jan - December 2017
    7. We are still trying to solicit some prizes from the Editor.

Points work thus:

1. Each entry will be worth 4 points. You get points for simply entering. This is an increase in the participation points awarded from last season.
    2. First place will be worth 10 points.
    3. Second place will be worth 8 points. This is an increase in the points awarded from last season.
    4. Third place will be worth 7 points. This is an increase in the points awarded from last season.
    5. In the event of a tie for first, second, and/or third in number of votes, all tied participants get equivalent points.

This means you can win the whole event, without ever winning a single month's competition simply by participating. Though, there is incentive for tying something nice which could get you some better point totals and increase your odds.

Again, the April 2017 theme is going to be; A Fly for the Lurig pool

RULES:

1. One entry per participant.
    2. Fly mustve been tied by you.
    3. One photograph of a fly or flies following the theme. Entries with more than 1 photo will be immediately disqualified. ONE PHOTO ONLY.
    4. More than one fly in the photograph is acceptable, they may not be identical (ie. one can be upon a tube and another upon a hook or one on a single hook and another on a double, etc.) but they must all be the same tying of the pattern.

Default #10 Arndilly Fancy

Spot on nwsalar! Always so neat and tidy. Can you actually fish that double anywhere over there these days?

First class nwsalar

Quote Originally Posted by nwsalar View Post
    A really super example of the type.

Default Quebec

I fish doubles most of the time on the Gaspe peninsula. Unfortunately, my angling partner had a minor stroke this fall, and with all the uncertainty of his recovery, we decided to cancel our annual 2 week visit to the Bonaventure & York. I picked up a week on the North Shore of Quebec, before I go on to Labrador in July. You can count on this fly going for a swim on the Napetipi.

Default Gold Stinchar Stoat

I'd fish a gold stinchar stoat on size 13 gold salar first.

20170406_211825-jpg
    Last edited by AlanT; 07-04-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Never fished there but if i turned up while the grilse were running i'd probably pull this one out for some action. i call it the Guinea pig!

13327365_10206661837172572_5738338047401329292_n-jpg
    Last edited by speyclavedave; 12-04-2017 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by speyclavedave View Post
    Never fished there but if i turned up while the grilse were running i'd probably pull this one out for some action. i call it the Guinea pig!

13327365_10206661837172572_5738338047401329292_n-jpg
    Braw Fly Dave

Thanks Phil B , It's another Buckie bob inspired pattern

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast