Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  105

View Poll Results: What is your favourite fly from the February 2017 Tie of the Month

Voters
42. This poll is closed
  • Slaneybs

3 7.14%
  • nwsalar

7 16.67%
  • AlanT

4 9.52%
  • Jim610

2 4.76%
  • Jockiescott

4 9.52%
  • Grassy_Knollington

6 14.29%
  • FaughanPurple

1 2.38%
  • GaryD

8 19.05%
  • silver seeker

6 14.29%
  • Heero

1 2.38%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Feb 2017 Tie Of The Month Competition - Invention Test

I pinched this idea from everyone's favourite TV Talent Show - Masterchef the Professionals. At some point in the series the candidates get to sift through some offal and a bunch of carrot tops then have to turn it into a Michelin-Starred meal.

This month tyers, you have to sift your way through this list of materials and turn them into a Michelin-Starred fly. Each material has been painstakingly chosen by the finest mind in my house. She's 2.5 years old, she's called Maggie, loves glitter and you're lucky everything isn't red.

Thread - Optional
    Rib - Silver Oval
    Body Material Option 1 - Silver Holo Tinsel
    Body Material Option 2 - Green Floss
    Body Material Option 3 - Orange
    Hackle Option 1 - Yellow
    Hackle Option 2 - Black
    Wing Option 1 - Green
    Wing Option 2 - Red
    Wing Option 3 - Orange
    Flash Optional as you see fit, (she chose everything).
    Tag / Freestyle as you want, Floss, Tinsel it's up to you
    Cheeks Freestyle again, JC, hackle stems or whatever floats your boat
    Tail Option 1 Freestyle with a feather tail
    Tail Option 2 Any hairwing tails have to be chosen from the wing colour options i.e. one or more of Green, Red & Orange.

Points of Clarification
    You can tie the fly on any hook or tube.
    You can use as many or as few of the ingredients as you'd like
    You can use any kind of hair or feather, as long as you stick to the colours
    You can use flouro colours if you want and I'm not precious about what precise shade of green but remember green is green not olive.
    You can use SLF or Seals Fur or Spanglysparkle dubbing, as long as it's orange.
    You can use Cock or Hen Hackles as you see fit, but no Badgers
    You can Palmer, Beard or wind your hackles, tie them in at the tail, the front and / or in the middle..... you get the idea

ABOUT THE COMPETITION:

1. The first rule of TOTM is that Everyone needs to keep talking about TOTM, the second is that everyone is welcome, experts or amateurs, lets get the entries in. The third rule is that we need more entries, keep them coming!
    2. The tying competition has a different theme each month.
    3. At the end of the month there will be a poll to vote the winner. The poll will run the entirety of the following month.
    4. Points are awarded for simply entering, with additional points awarded for placing first, second and third.
    5. Whichever participant has the most points at the end of the year wins the prize.
    6. The competition will run from Jan - December 2017
    7. We are still trying to solicit some prizes from the Editor.

Points work thus,

1. Each entry will be worth 4 points. You get points for simply entering. This is an increase in the participation points awarded from last season.
    2. First place will be worth 10 points.
    3. Second place will be worth 8 points. This is an increase in the points awarded from last season.
    4. Third place will be worth 7 points. This is an increase in the points awarded from last season.
    5. In the event of a tie for first, second, and/or third in number of votes, all tied participants get equivalent points.

This means you can win the whole event, without ever winning a single month's competition simply by participating. Though, there is incentive for tying something nice which could get you some better point totals and increase your odds.

Again, the February 2017 theme is going to be an Invention Test - Materials list is above.

RULES:

1. One entry per participant.
    2. Fly mustve been tied by you.
    3. One photograph of a fly or flies following the theme. Entries with more than 1 photo will be immediately disqualified. ONE PHOTO ONLY.
    4. More than one fly in the photograph is acceptable, they may not be identical (ie. one can be upon a tube and another upon a hook or one on a single hook and another on a double, etc.) but they must all be the same tying of the pattern.
    Last edited by Grassy_Knollington; 03-03-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Ohh, I like the sound of that!
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Default Clarification

No other ingredients than what is listed. Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by nwsalar View Post
    No other ingredients than what is listed. Is that right?
    Correct.

Except where I've given you Freestyle rights.

And the hook / tube of course.

Looking forward to another cracker from you NWSALAR.

Is there any restriction on tail colour?

If you were to choose bucktail could you use any colour, or mix of colours, that you wanted?
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Excellent idea GK, enjoying your TOTM themes a lot, variety is the spice of life!
    Might steal/borrow your idea involving the wee ones for the fly swap and let my 9yr old pick a theme, I can confidently predict pink will feature

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    Is there any restriction on tail colour?

If you were to choose bucktail could you use any colour, or mix of colours, that you wanted?
    I've been thinking hard about this and have clarified:

You can have a feather tail or a GP crest as a freestyle tail but if it's hair your using then it must be the from the same colours as I have listed for wings.

I can see how the tax code gets so complicated

It's hard to give a reasonable selection of materials without giving everyone exactly what they need to tie a Cascade

-- Not that you were doing that mind.

Default Deviant Shrimp

Quote Originally Posted by Grassy_Knollington View Post
    I've been thinking hard about this and have clarified:

You can have a feather tail or a GP crest as a freestyle tail but if it's hair your using then it must be the from the same colours as I have listed for wings.

I can see how the tax code gets so complicated

It's hard to give a reasonable selection of materials without giving everyone exactly what they need to tie a Cascade

-- Not that you were doing that mind.
    Good thing I did this before reading the new rules or I would be evenmore confused as a newbie to this thread.
    I reckon that the dyed GP tail on this "Deviant Shrimp" complies with the free style rules and dispenses with the need for a wing. The JC complies with freestyle cheeks - so am I in?
    deviant-shrimp-jpg
    I might even give it a swim.

That looks in to me. Freestyle tail feather - Check

Great 1st entry!

In an ideal world I'd just ping out a list of materials but then some folk won't have the blue bucktail or badger cape in red. I thought this way would be more equitable, if harder to describe
    Last edited by Grassy_Knollington; 10-02-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Am confused now......so can we use two different cloured hackles and two different colours in the body?

Great looking fly

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast