Zonkers

Andrzej

Reaction score
Saw similar flies on different forum. Don't know if they are any good for salmon fishing but they look cool, so maybe I'll wet them.

Fly377.jpg

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Braw tigertails andrezj :cool: oh and they most definitely do work 🎣. Fantastic movement in the water

One for water with a touch of colour
DSC_0280.JPG

westie4566

Reaction score
May I make a polite suggestion?

Now, as Arnold knows, I do like a tigertail, especially an Alistair. A fly that's done a fair bit of damage on the North Esk for me over the years.

My suggestion is to trim the skin part at the rear into a 'V' and thin it out. Imho you get a better wing taper in the water.

Mind you, that said, I'd still fish any of tigertails above.:thumb:

Lamson v10

Reaction score

Now, as Arnold knows, I do like a tigertail, especially an Alistair. A fly that's done a fair bit of damage on the North Esk for me over the years.

My suggestion is to trim the skin part at the rear into a 'V' and thin it out. Imho you get a better wing taper in the water.

The Alistair TT will be my first off the vice through the week andy for my trips up by 👍🏻 I've none left in the box, spot on about putting a taper on the skin

_20200125_204338.JPG

Andrzej

Reaction score

Thanks westie4566 for your advise. I cut slightly the zonkers in first two flies, not too much as the strips were about 3.5-4mm wide. The third fly is without cutting as the strip was only about 2.5mm wide. The best would be to cut a V shaped wing from a piece of skin. I'm not sure if a wing won't wrap around a hook in my flies, but I can always shorten wings a bit if required.

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
Thanks westie4566 for your advise. I cut slightly the zonkers in first two flies, not too much as the strips were about 3.5-4mm wide. The third fly is without cutting as the strip was only about 2.5mm wide. The best would be to cut a V shaped wing from a piece of skin. I'm not sure if the wing won't wrap around a hook in my flies, but I can cat them a bit if required.
Never had any real problem with zonker strips 'wrapping' at all. I think the inherent 'stiffness' helps in this respect. (I appreciate that this sounds counter intuitive bearing in mind how mobile these wings are!)

I just cut both ends of my zonker wings in a v shape. Makes it neater to tie in at the front and a better profile at the rear. The springers seem to like my method...lol.

Andrzej

Reaction score
Many thanks westie4566, I don't have too much experience with zonkers, have tied a couple of flies but with shorter wings. I'd be nice to catch a salmon on these :)

westie4566

Reaction score
Many thanks westie4566, I don't have too much experience with zonkers, have tied a couple of flies but with shorter wings. I'd be nice to catch a salmon on these :)
Get them tied on mate...they work.

I got laughed at when I first fished one on the Northie many moons ago. The laughing stopped 30 mins later when I had a pristine 13lb fish in the net!! That was on the 1st of March. Zonker flies have been doing the business since then.

Andrzej

Reaction score
A few more, the black one was inspired with flies shown some time ago on the forum by Grassy_Knollington: Monkey Frenzy
Tied on bottle tubes 15mm slim, wings approx. 5-6cm.

Fly380.jpg

Last edited: