Zip front chest waders

Isisalar

Reaction score
I was initially impressed with zip front waders although sceptical about the zip waterproofing properties, the advantages of being able to take a leak without taking the waders down seemed to be a massive boon.
As far as I can see this is not the case, unless I'm missing something.
So, what's the point of them?
Also, how waterproof are the zips?
Cheers

NEbody

Reaction score
I’ve had two pairs of zipped waders, first Vision Ikon and then Orvis Silver Sonic. No problem with leaking zips in either. The main benefit is being able to take a leak (unless you’re female) without needing to remove multiple layers. The main snag is forgetting to fasten the zip afterwards.

SalmoNewf

Reaction score
As far as I’m concerned the biggest improvement in fishing equipment in the past 20 years! I’ve a pair of Patagonia zip waders for four seasons now and put in a lot of time in them. No leaks anywhere including the zip, and I’ve spent hours in water well over my waist. Being able to answer nature’s call without having to take off multiple layers is great and they’re also easy to put on and take off.

Rennie

Reaction score
I too am on my second pair of Zip Fronted waders.Best thing since sliced bread.Oh so easy to put on, that bits a relavation! and as for getting togged up and forgetting your glasses in your trouser pockets or getting your keys back out at the car when is lashing it down.
Of coarse there's the ease of taking a pee, obvious, but when its raining, has been for some time, you dont have to take your jacket off any more?.
My next step is Boa laced boots, for those of us advancing in years!, think about it!.
You know it makes sense!
Pedro.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I still use a pair of the old guideline alta's and in all the years I've had them I've never had a leaking zip or a leak in the waders themselves 👍🏻

MCXFisher

Reaction score
I have 2 pairs of Vision Ikon Zip waders: the original must be around 13-14 seasons old, well sustained by Diver Dave and so not as breathable as in their prime; and the newer pair about 5-6 years, which has yet to visit DD. They do around 40-50 days' fishing annually, including combat trout work on a small river with lots of bushes. To date they have never let a drop in via the zips or displayed any significant leaks.

The newer pair is more robust, very comfortable and massively easy and convenient as others have described.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I am on my second pair, no leaks from zips on either, the 1st were Snowbee bootfoots, lasted around 5years before the boot to leg area failed, the 2nd, Airflo airweld, stocking foot, seem fine over the last 2 seasons, really good fit too, just find the stocking foot get too warm when yomping miles in warmer weather, fine in the river, but getting to and from it across the meadows is a pain, but at least you can undo the zip to let some heat out.
peter

Greegs

Reaction score
I am on my second pair, no leaks from zips on either, the 1st were Snowbee bootfoots, lasted around 5years before the boot to leg area failed, the 2nd, Airflo airweld, stocking foot, seem fine over the last 2 seasons, really good fit too, just find the stocking foot get too warm when yomping miles in warmer weather, fine in the river, but getting to and from it across the meadows is a pain, but at least you can undo the zip to let some heat out.
peter
I’m on my second pair of airflo zipped waders.

My 1st pair lasted 6 seasons & im into my second season with the airwelds.

Great waders at a great price.

Also someone mentioned boa laces, I’ve had mines for a few years & brilliant boots.
Lifetime warranty on the laces & always keep spares with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bassfly

Reaction score
Bought a pair of Hodgman Aesis zip fronts from Norris 3 years ago and am very pleased with the quality. Three full weeks in BC, two in Norway and about ten trips in UK with no problems.
On offer at Angling Active at £100 off.

Last edited:

Coneheads

Reaction score
Breathable Waders?
Only when they are dry, so when you wade into the cool river the inner wader condenses and cannot breathe creating moisture on the inside , I have yet to have the inside of my breathable waders dry after a days fishing, always moist , and I turn them inside out to dry out.They will only be breathable dry when you don't wade in ,or fish from a boat all day,so why have waders on in the first place.
The zipped waders are made for you to have a pee, could well ventilate the upper body of the waders ?

Multi layers, which ? jacket or waistcoat ? 1 layer

HOWKEMOOT

Reaction score
Very useful

Apart from offering the relative ease of having a leak with less faff, I have a bad right hip, they allow me to get dressed with much less discomfort, they are a boon. Now into 5th season and no (zip) leaks, G4Zs.

M

lowforcefly

Reaction score
Taking layers of to have a pee ,,... Don't get it
I didn't till I tried it !....my fishing usually involves a lot of walking, 3-5 miles. So everything has to be carried on my back, sling pack, or backpack, jacket pockets, or a mini chest pack, usually it is a combination. The mini pack is always, as it is for in river necessities, tippets, working fly box, etc.
The zip, vision Ikon in my case, really works, especially if you have just spent 20 mins getting where you wanted in a seriously dodgy wade....Ooooer !....who hasn't ????:shocked:
The layers referred to are not layers of clothing, but layers of kit.....when I use chesties....Wade out :rant:, the backpack/slingpack has to come off, the gye net, the minipack, jacket, wading belt, with wading staff attached...and in cold water you have to get your timings right !:tongue:
With the zip ...none of the above....just slide the zip down under the straps...it really is a revelation !
Mine are three seasons old, and I have had no leaks,(In the waders !:tongue:), whatsoever, which is better than any waders I have previously had including some very expensive ones....i tried these after being totally disillusioned with other makes.
I stand to be corrected, but I don't think any waders breath when under water...it's a pressure differential thing. Also any moisture you generate via sweat, will be minimised if wading, because the chilling effect of the water will stop you sweating so much...If I have done a big hike between pools on a warm day then the sweat level is increased, and as I am generating / trapping it over a bigger area in the waders, it will be very apparent....there isn't a fabric on the planet that can breath that much ! Those that dismiss breathables so readily, should try similar hikes in PVC, or neoprenes ?
I have no doubt the debate will continue though....as some will twist on 21 !:noidea:

Mel....

Last edited:

ibm59

Reaction score
Bought zipped Ikons a few weeks back.
Suspect it’ll be next season before they see water.

wetwader

Reaction score
I also was sceptical with zip waders. And I wish I would have come earlier through my doubts and into zip waders.
As already said by others:
Most comfortable in so many aspects, easy coming in and out, possibility of ventilating when on. It’s also better for drying after use.
Leaking? Never at the zip, always everywhere else in three zip waders until now for me. Friends of mine, fishing a lot in salt water for seatrouts, had some issues with the zips, no matter which labels, and came back to conventional waders.
For river fishing, nothing else for me than zip waders when chest high waders are needed.

An alternative option would be hip waders. Same and even better comfort without zip and less expensive too.
And no question if Prostata or Dementia (or both) is the main problem. One can’t forget to close the zip (what I did not only once).
I always was a deep wader without shyness of risks for a swim to reach the fishes or to reach banks inside big rivers or on the other side, as long as I can remember. But a hip wader is enough for most fishing situations, at least when speycasting, as long as no river crossing is needed.
Most of my wader murdering extensively fishing is done in hip waders meanwhile. I must admit, also to save the expensive chest high zip waders for the situations I really need them, but for the biggest part, because they are more comfortable than anything else.
For many fishermen it would be enough for 100% of their needs, from a view of the wading depth they want as a maximum for themselves. Surely also a safety plus.
Too many of us are still running around, covered up to the shoulders, to cast ankle or knee deep all day long. What is the best anyhow in so many fishing situations.

Just a thought for an additional option...

Middle Bay

Reaction score
I have just replaced my Vision Rapidor zipped waders after more than 10 years use and have never had any problems with the zip. I was surprised at the cost of comparable replacement and bought standard breathables. There were some cheap zipped waders on sale in the GAC but I was advised not to buy them as the zip was not waterproof. No chance to try out the replacements as yet.

SalmoNewf

Reaction score
It’s quite easy, just undo the wading belt, haul down the zipper and Bob’s your uncle.

As an alternative, though not as readily available, you could try waist high waders, also providing accessibility in a hurry and avoiding the shedding of jackets etc.. Also great on warm days.