Zephrus vs hbx ?

Hippotrague

Reaction score
Hi
Is there somebody to help in advising..?
What s the difference between a Hardy Zephrus and a Hardy Hbx ?
Is one rod better than the other when salmon fishing ?
What are the differences while using them ?
Thank you.
Chris.

luney

Reaction score
Not much help I'm afraid, I have the Zephrus 14 foot 6 inch 9/10 weight.
I wouldn't swap it for anything. Joy to cast with, bends into the butt plenty of feed back from it and very light.

Last edited:

Hippotrague

Reaction score
I have a 13ft6 demon 330 sintrix.Zephrus is 440 sintrix .Is there a huge difference when casting between 330 and 440.blanks ? ..have you been able.to compare ?

Chris

luney

Reaction score
I have a 13ft6 demon 330 sintrix.Zephrus is 440 sintrix .Is there a huge difference when casting between 330 and 440.blanks ? ..have you been able.to compare ?

Chris
I haven't been able to compare sorry.

flytay

Reaction score
They have one important SIMILARITY
Neither are as good as the Zenith
Agree. Widely regarded as the best rods Hardy ever made. I have the 13ft 6 and 14ft 6 and would not swap them for anything. Just hope that I don't break one as spares now not available!

luney

Reaction score
Agree. Widely regarded as the best rods Hardy ever made. I have the 13ft 6 and 14ft 6 and would not swap them for anything. Just hope that I don't break one as spares now not available!
It is widely accepted that you serve your time on a Zenith, before being allowed to put your paws on to a Zephrus.😳😳😉😂😂

NEbody

Reaction score
What is better about the Zenith than Zephrus ?
The 13’6” Zenith has a reputation as an excellent rod. Its siblings are good but not as exceptional. Because of the reputation of the 13’6”, the Zenith was always going to be a hard act for the Zephrus to follow.

I’ve cast various Zenith and Zephrus models and they’re all competent but the only one I‘ve bought was a 12’6” Zenith. I’ve been impressed by the 14’6” Zephrus but don’t need one for the fishing I do. One of the middle sections of my Zenith broke while I was landing the first fish I hooked on it but a replacement section was still available and provided free under warranty. However, I was never comfortable with it after that and sold it to buy an 11’9” Demon, which I prefer.

I’ve not cast an HBX but a friend has one. He likes it but is currently on his third because of problems with the handles on the first two.

My answer to the OP is that the Zephrus is made in Korea and has green bits whereas the HBX is made in Alnwick and has orange bits. One isn’t necessarily better than the other: the right one for you is the one you prefer.

Andrew B

Reaction score
I find that incredible given how they must have a guarantee of some sort?

Hoddom

Reaction score
How is a zenith better than a zephrus?
in every way😀
have to admit I’m a bit of a zenith fan. Got 5 now ( it’s surprising what pops up on the web for sale!) and only one Zephrus - the 14”9’

flytay

Reaction score
I find that incredible given how they must have a guarantee of some sort?
Andrew,

Broken sections were replaced free under warranty but from reading other threads in this forum I understand that replacement section are no longer available. I have been told that if you break a Zenith, Hardy will now offer you a new rod at substantial discount but have not tested this.

Steve

Hoddom

Reaction score
Andrew,

Broken sections were replaced free under warranty but from reading other threads in this forum I understand that replacement section are no longer available. I have been told that if you break a Zenith, Hardy yyywill now offer you a new rod at substantial discount but have not tested this.
This is exactly what ive heard from others.
Very poor given a life time warranty commitment and a £1k rod. Worth bearing in mind if buying neW. Other companies seem to offer a better service. Eg Sage made me a new section of an old trout rod to match as they didn’t have any in stock. Charged me $50 from memory including postage!

SalmoNewf

Reaction score
I’m not articulate enough to express what the difference is but..... My 9 1/2 foot, 8 wt. Zenith has been my favourite rod for years now, purchased not long after they came out. Last year I had a fall and broke two of the four sections in the process (only bruises for me, far more worried about the rod! 🙄). I contacted Hardy in short order and as noted, was able to purchase the equivalent Zephrus at a discounted price. A very nice rod but after a three day trip using it I went on E-Bay and after a few weeks of daily searching I found a very slightly used 9 1/2 foot 8 wt. Zenith and joy reigned supreme. There‘s just something about those rods. I have a 12 1/2 foot 7 wt. as well and love it too.