Your most productive lure?

Speytime

Reaction score
As the title suggests what's been your most productive type of lure over the years?

My favourite are black and silver rapalas, if i was to pick a second a silver mepps would be it, however my experience isn't vast by comparison to others members here.

Al

Jockiescott

Reaction score
My most successful, individual lure, was a small black flying c. It couldn't be anymore than 7g in weight.

It lay in my box for ages and I'd never used it. I think it was the 2003 season and it was the first week of September and I hadn't caught a fish up to that.

I went on one of my expeditions one day to fish a few miles of river. I lost flying Cs in the first place I fished. It was low water so I tied on this wee dull, pathetic looking thing that I never liked the look of.

I landed two fish in the next pool I fished and had another two before I got home. I fished the rest of the season with that wee spinner, in some really big spates too and I ended the season with 36 landed. There were a few on the fly but anything else was caught on that wee ugly spinner.

lefthandup

Reaction score
I haven't got one particular fly....
Look at the river..and time of the year and choose one that suits .

My score count isn't very big these days mind

Craigk670

Reaction score
Trout-no2 blue n silver mepp ,broken back minnow early season
Salmon flying black n gold or hot orange rapala

SEDGY

Reaction score
When I used to spin a lot....Irish minnow 2” cast upstream and reeled is as fast as possible- deadly for sea trout but to fast for Salmon 😂

Rrrr

Reaction score
Pink and white tiger rapala if theres colour in. If its low a size 2 gold mepp.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

keirstream

Reaction score
Bananas in the spring up to 6 inch wings and a mixture of the same type fly in high water in water usually with an orange or red throat. Early autumn a cascade double up to size 6. Just now its wee shrimps and G.P.s around size 14 and wee monkeys, all of which are taking their toll every day out.:)
Occasionally when I spin there is no substitute for the wee ruby red floater. Top lure of all time for me.(y)(y)

Speytime

Reaction score
There's quite a variety of lures that people regard highly, I've wondered would it have made any difference with another lure, meaning if I'd covered the same fish with a different lure would have taken it just the same?

We can never tell with any certainty but do you think the shape and colour really matters or is more to do with confidence in what you're using and getting it to the right spot?
I'm 1st to admit I'll not persevere for any length of time with anything other than black and silver/gold rapalas or stoats tail or williegunn needless to say I think they are the best but considering I fish them most it stands to reason.
I would expect rightly or wrongly if there was/is a best lure then most fishers would arrive at a particular type, colour and pattern but it would be interesting to hear what the more experienced think?

Thanks Al

pellinore

Reaction score
There's quite a variety of lures that people regard highly, I've wondered would it have made any difference with another lure, meaning if I'd covered the same fish with a different lure would have taken it just the same?

We can never tell with any certainty but do you think the shape and colour really matters or is more to do with confidence in what you're using and getting it to the right spot?
I'm 1st to admit I'll not persevere for any length of time with anything other than black and silver/gold rapalas or stoats tail or williegunn needless to say I think they are the best but considering I fish them most it stands to reason.
I would expect rightly or wrongly if there was/is a best lure then most fishers would arrive at a particular type, colour and pattern but it would be interesting to hear what the more experienced think?

Thanks Al
Jesus that's the thread done then.

ArchieL

Reaction score
Any vision 110 or Rapala CD-9 in black or blue and silver , metalic finish if you can find the limited editions. Failing this a black & spratt gold colour Metal minnow or Salmo toby. It would be easy to say FC but it i find i am only using this lure when i am at desperation stage :) and have tried all other methods, not putting the lure down as it is deadly but i do not get the same pleasure from fishing it or catching a fish on it. Tend to fish fly now and most times go for a GBWG tube or Gold Cascade, Summer fishing small Ally's and shrimp flies...If i was only allowed to pick 1 lure to feed my family then it would be the FC but if i had to pick 1 lure which i enjoy fishing then it would be a B&S Rapala CD9 or CD-11.

If i was asked this question 30 years ago then the answer would have been diving minnow or Kenwynn ruby red shrimp:devilish: