Your Most memorable fish of the 2019 season

allan angler

Reaction score
For most of us season 2019 is now over. Looking back I thought it would be a good idea to share a pic of my most memorable fish of 2019 and my reason why, and hear from other forum members about their most memorable fish from 2019..

AA

This is mine caught at 23:27pm on the 25th of June on the very top of our clubs fishings on the allan water, after sitting for an hour waiting for the daylight to fade we seen a sew sea trout move.. I was fishing with my mate both with similar set ups (straight floater small aluminium tube) my mate went down the pool first with no luck. I followed down soon after, when i got to the hot spot I cast and as the fly was swinging round I saw a bow wave and a head at the back of the fly.. next thing the line was tight but it wasnt the usual sea trout take.. this fish took and stayed down dogging away. I could feel it was a big fish but it wasn’t fighting like a sea trout. I shouted my mate and said “if this is a sea trout its a big one!” After 5 or 10 mins of confusion we finally landed a salmon of around 7lbs. What makes this memorable for me is that it is almost unheard of tho catch salmon on the allan that far up so early in the season and in the middle of the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

guest2938

Good thread Jordan

I’ve not much to choose from to be honest as I fished less this season, so it’ll have to be this one. Purely for the reason that the earliest are always the best in my view, and after a few losses since season start, and others around me picking up some nice springers on the river, i thought a spring fish was going to evade me but got in there right at the death of May.

744BF652-8F9A-4BCA-AA34-2F789501ADAA.jpeg

DCH

Attachments

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Probably this one a few weeks back as it put up a great scrap, long runs, getting airborn and even when i was sitting perched on the edge of the high bank to reach it with the net it charged straight over the net and went under the washed out bank. Also another angler 20 yards above me got the words "have you got..." out of his mouth before his rod hooped over and he was into his first fish in 3 years. There were about 5 of us on a short stretch of the coquet that day and he all had at least one salmon that afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Mattytree

Reaction score
The spring fish evaded me but this one on the second of June on a home tied fly and as much aerobatics as I could of coped with was a great start to the season... had a few more very memorable fish but over all 2019 has been my best season with some bigger fresher fish and getting a new Personal best that was a kipper but still pb that came from tactics to fly that had been thought out instead of chuck n chance made it feel more of an achievement.

Attachments

westie4566

Reaction score
DSC00552.JPG

It would be this one, my first of the year caught on a snowy day in March.

Memorable simply because of it's blistering first run all the way to the tail of the pool. The memory of the reel screaming still makes me smile.

Rrrr

Reaction score
View attachment 40263

It would be this one, my first of the year caught on a snowy day in March.

Memorable simply because of it's blistering first run all the way to the tail of the pool. The memory of the reel screaming still makes me smile.
Had one scream away on my old hardy ultralight disc this year and you just cant beat that sound.

westie4566

Reaction score
Had one scream away on my old hardy ultralight disc this year and you just cant beat that sound.

Your right! That fish was on my old Golden Prince - it would wake the dead!

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Has to be this one, this was the second fish my youngest caught last year, I pretty much left him to it when he hooked it....what a fight lol!
Returned after quick pic.
Makes up for my lack of Salmon, love seeing threads like this, helps look forward to next year

IMAG4014.jpg

fishingdaft

Reaction score
My best fish for 2019 was a brown trout from the river clyde.caught on fly and it gave an incredible fight and was returned.View attachment 40266
My biggest brownie before this was caught on worm in 1998 and was 5lb 6oz this one beat this pbIMG-20190705-WA0001.jpg

Last edited:

Oscar

Reaction score
Only caight 4 (in a week on th Thurso) this year, so not many to choose from!

Anyway, has to be the first of the week - which was a tough one - taken from the Trawl Pool on B5. Fishied it diligently all the way down, and finally the fish took when retrieving quite quickly with a size 10 Heather Shrimp.

Thurso_1.jpg

And just because, here's two of the others - the first an acrobatic 10lb'er from B3 and the other a c.4lb fresh fish which is now in the freezer! Both on the same Heather Shrimp.

Thurso_2.jpg

Thurso_3.jpg

Oscar.

Last edited:

budge

Reaction score
There's only two but both memorable for me. First one was my first ever springer a 39 inch fish off the Ribble in April. Second was on my last outing on the Ribble on 30th October, 37 inch fresh fish. Both caught from the same lie on a similar home tied shrimpy looking brass cone head tube. Probably been seen on here before

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

westie4566

Reaction score
There's only two but both memorable for me. First one was my first ever springer a 39 inch fish off the Ribble in April. Second was on my last outing on the Ribble on 30th October, 37 inch fresh fish. Both caught from the same lie on a similar home tied shrimpy looking brass cone head tube. Probably been seen on here before

Quality 'bookends' to your season,Budge!

Westcountry

Reaction score
Only a handful for me this year mainly down to lack of effort but the most memorable was the first one in May.
It was one of those fish you just know you are going to catch. One evening I looked out of the window and it suddenly struck me I should go down to the river and fish a certain lie, five minutes later first cast over the spot and everything went tight :D

I'm also claiming it as the cheapest salmon on the forum. The fishing cost me nothing, the rod was a £50 Shakespeare Agility, the reel a twenty five year old Leeda Dragonfly, the line a £5 Airflo seconds floater and the fly an Ally's Shrimp I tied fifteen years ago. Who says you need deep pockets to catch salmon!

Andy

budge

Reaction score
Only a handful for me this year mainly down to lack of effort but the most memorable was the first one in May.
It was one of those fish you just know you are going to catch. One evening I looked out of the window and it suddenly struck me I should go down to the river and fish a certain lie, five minutes later first cast over the spot and everything went tight :D

I'm also claiming it as the cheapest salmon on the forum. The fishing cost me nothing, the rod was a £50 Shakespeare Agility, the reel a twenty five year old Leeda Dragonfly, the line a £5 Airflo seconds floater and the fly an Ally's Shrimp I tied fifteen years ago. Who says you need deep pockets to catch salmon!

Andy
That's a cracking photo of a stonking fish, well done.

Loxie

Reaction score
This is my most memorable, although they are all memorable in their own way.

CC12F50A-AA70-4DF2-BFEA-05FB05CFCE8E.jpeg

I always keenly anticipate my first week in the Far North. May is a great time to be there and given water the fishing can be fantastic. We have had a run of dry weeks, 3 on the trot, so I was delighted to find really good water this year. Monday morning, first pool and bingo. A really good solid fish, not completely fresh but well rested. I landed it on the other side of the river, 100 yards below where I hooked it and in the next pool down. We both needed a bit of a sit down afterwards!

Jockiescott

Reaction score
My most memorable fish this season was one I got in September.

I showed the fish on the forum as it was one I'd got on a fly I'd shown. The Allys shrimp in a more Flamethrower style.

I went to one of my favourite pools a few days before hand and a tree had fallen into the taking spot. I thought the pool was finished.

A few days later, I had fished another pool and wondered if there was any point fishing the pool in question. It was early enough in the evening so I thought I'd go for the walk if nothing else.

I starred at the top of the stream into the pool and got down to where the tree had fallen. There was a decent rise on the river and there was quite a push of water off the tree.

I fished down to where the tree was and cast the flies as tight to the tree as I could. The fly came away from the tree at a very fast pace and in the exact same instant of time, I felt the line tighten and saw a back and tail clean out of the water. The line slackened again and I was cursing my luck with goose pimples standing. It was already one of the highlights of my season.

I didn't move an inch and cast in tight to the tree again. As the fly came screaming out at the exact same spot I felt the line tighten and slacken again in the blink of an eye. Was that the same fish?

I pulled the line in and stood for a few seconds. Cast to the same spot again and just as the fly was padding the top of the tree the line started tightening again. I held the rod, let the loop of line be taken from my hand and then lifted into the take.

It wasn't a massive fish, around 6 or 7lb, but it put up one hell of a scrap.

Three takes in three throws was exciting enough but to actually hook and land on the third was fantastic.

I came up the field that evening extremely content.

IMG_20190906_184933.jpg

westie4566

Reaction score
My most memorable fish this season was one I got in September.

I showed the fish on the forum as it was one I'd got on a fly I'd shown. The Allys shrimp in a more Flamethrower style.

I went to one of my favourite pools a few days before hand and a tree had fallen into the taking spot. I thought the pool was finished.

A few days later, I had fished another pool and wondered if there was any point fishing the pool in question. It was early enough in the evening so I thought I'd go for the walk if nothing else.

I starred at the top of the stream into the pool and got down to where the tree had fallen. There was a decent rise on the river and there was quite a push of water off the tree.

I fished down to where the tree was and cast the flies as tight to the tree as I could. The fly came away from the tree at a very fast pace and in the exact same instant of time, I felt the line tighten and saw a back and tail clean out of the water. The line slackened again and I was cursing my luck with goose pimples standing. It was already one of the highlights of my season.

I didn't move an inch and cast in tight to the tree again. As the fly came screaming out at the exact same spot I felt the line tighten and slacken again in the blink of an eye. Was that the same fish?

I pulled the line in and stood for a few seconds. Cast to the same spot again and just as the fly was padding the top of the tree the line started tightening again. I held the rod, let the loop of line be taken from my hand and then lifted into the take.

It wasn't a massive fish, around 6 or 7lb, but it put up one hell of a scrap.

Three takes in three throws was exciting enough but to actually hook and land on the third was fantastic.

I came up the field that evening extremely content.

View attachment 40291
I had that happen in late August 2010. The fish twice came to the fly (size 12 Park Shrimp) and must have been pricked both times. Like you, I gave it a breather,and changed to a size 14 Cascade. It nailed that at first time of offering. It turned out to be a 14lb licer!

(In case you think I've an amazing memory, your fish reminded me of that one, so I referred back to my diary/notebook. I also note that it took 20 minutes to land!:D )

lefthandup

Reaction score
Skeena Steelhead for me,i
I remember that day fondly having stood on the bank of this huge river thinking 'how will I get one outs here as was the sheer size of the river in front of me.

However I got this 11lbr after loosing a bigger one an hour previously,right under my feet.

What made that day even more memorable was an encounter with a black bear and a bull moose.

All in the most fantastic of surrounding.. fishing heaven.

Attachments