You most effective fishing fly?

rotenone

Reaction score
As most anglers and tyers I have gone through my hair share of favourite salmon patterns.

I can remember its was always Irish shrimps when I started the currys red or Bann special and bucktail tubes

Then in the 90s allys shrimp and later on the cascade.

In the early 2000s I visited Paddy Bonner shop where he really opened my eyes to modern materials and made me aware of flies with great mobility like his shadow shrimps and he was also the first person I saw tie really good Scandinavian style flies.

After spending much time fishing in Scandinavia myself over the last 20 years my flies have become much simpler and mobility based.

These days if I could only have one fly it would be a monkey fly, the reason being tied in all sizes it works all time even on hard fished water.

I tied them in all sizes from micro upto 15cm
Wouldn't be without the monkey fly for me its better then the sunray shadow also.

Here's a few from this afternoon

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Loxie

Reaction score
Monkey is good. I like a snaelda and am partial to a sunray. A beetle, a snake and a silver Ally's and that would do it for me.

Slaneybs

Reaction score
in the last 5 years it would be a yellow shrimp before that it was any fly so long as it was a silver doctor

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Would need to be the willie gunn for me :nod: from first day of the season to the last :thumb: I've seen more fish caught on it than any other fly

DSC_0601.JPG

cloner

Reaction score
Can't beat Green Highlander Scandi style. Definitely my most successful fly pattern.

green-highlander_tagged.jpg
gh-wet.jpg

Lamson v10

Reaction score
It's been a while since we've seen a fly from yourself :thumb: Stunning fly Janusz :thumb:

cloner

Reaction score
It's been a while since we've seen a fly from yourself :thumb: Stunning fly Janusz :thumb:
Thanks for kind words Lamson.
I do tie occasionally, mainly to replenish my fly boxes. But for the last 18 months I've been working my a.. off and that has kept me from tying anything new and posting on here. A few years ago I also decided to devote most of my spare time to spey casting (practicing, giving demos and teaching). Have to say being out by the river with a spey rod relaxes me a lot more than tying. I would even incline to say that fly tying is stressful and exhausting. At least in my case as being pedantic I always strive to make my flies look perfect. As a result, after an hour or two of tying my back is stiff :batty:

Last edited:

Mattytree

Reaction score
Irish shrimps in various dress.. and the Willie gun.
One fly I have no faith in is the cascade, I fished it for a whole season and the fish would rather take the black stoats tail dropper or any thing other than the cascade ,I know it’s one of the most popular patterns but it just does not work for me.

midgydug

Reaction score
Yip another vote for the monkey. I have caught fish in summer lows to raging brown floods, sea liced to kippers.
I have never caught a fish on a cascade, no confidence in it so hardly fish it.
I know many anglers will be saying "what the f#@k "
Snaeldas are creeping in to my armoury for a big water but a monkey will
always be my first choice

rotenone

Reaction score
Yip another vote for the monkey. I have caught fish in summer lows to raging brown floods, sea liced to kippers.
I have never caught a fish on a cascade, no confidence in it so hardly fish it.
I know many anglers will be saying "what the f#@k "
Snaeldas are creeping in to my armoury for a big water but a monkey will
always be my first choice
I've caught many big salmon on this micro monkey

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

acerspader

Reaction score
On the Tyne, Calvin Shrimp has served me well.
On the Moy, Yellow Shrimp, Cascade, Bann Special and mini tubes.
On the Tweed Dee monkey in spring, & summer posh tosh, and autumn back out with the calvin.

ArchieL

Reaction score
Gold Body cascade double with JC (Ken Swada) and a gold bodied willie gun (Tube) and a silver ally treble. Could fish happy with these 3 only. Cannot pick one over the other based on favorite fly , only based on conditions , time of year and water height. GBWG for spring & September/October in big water. Gold bodied cascade for late spring (May/June) & September. Silver Ally for grilse time and low water conditions.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Black and yellow temple dog early season, then a stoats tail or flamethrower of the summer, when the water starts to cool for autumn a cascade or something else shrimpy with a long tail.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

mows

Reaction score
Anything I'm given. Kinermony killers from Jock, or wilie guns from Dr P, have done well for me. When using 2 flies, most have been on them. The willie guns have done well for seatrout this year.

offshore

Reaction score
Gold Body cascade double with JC (Ken Swada) and a gold bodied willie gun (Tube) and a silver ally treble. Could fish happy with these 3 only. Cannot pick one over the other based on favorite fly , only based on conditions , time of year and water height. GBWG for spring & September/October in big water. Gold bodied cascade for late spring (May/June) & September. Silver Ally for grilse time and low water conditions.
Sorry to be dim, but does a silver ally refer to the body tinsel colour , tail or hackle ? Not sure if I have ever seen a silver Ally, but it has been mentioned in this thread several times. Thanks

Reaction score
I moved jobs from the Spey to the Thurso this year. The Arndilly Fancy and the Vivian (John Anderson) have done the best work for me.
I expected the Fancy to lose its appeal as the season wore on but no, it's still picking away at them. I'm now adding a little yellow throat hackle over the blue and it's working well in the peatier water here.

westie4566

Reaction score
Aye. Instead of red floss in the rear half of the body use silver tinsel. The grilse love it, as do some of their bigger cousins.

Aled

Reaction score
The most effective fishing fly is very simple its the one...(and those of you who know me know what's coming next) is the one in which you have the most SELF CONFIDENCE in....for me its a Dyfi Black n Orange... Take what you want from my comments.
Tight Lines
Aled

ArchieL

Reaction score
Silver tinsel body , If there is fresh grilse about i would not fish anything else. If there is a good wind on the water and a few residents about a pool then i would rest the pool right up until the last hour of darkness then fish a small silver Ally's just below a big muddler and hand line it back across pool. It is amazing to watch them swirl at the muddler then take the silver Ally's on the turn. The wind turns stale residents into angry aggressive fish.

midgydug

Reaction score
Sorry to be dim, but does a silver ally refer to the body tinsel colour , tail or hackle ? Not sure if I have ever seen a silver Ally, but it has been mentioned in this thread several times. Thanks
silver allys is just a standard allys shrimp, but instead of the rear half being orange floss it is silver tinsel. A very effective alternative especially for fresher fish

MCXFisher

Reaction score
No surprise here:

MCX Dark

I have used it to the exclusion of all else in all but the most extreme conditions, varying only the size and type (double or tube). In that time it has caught more fish than any other pattern in use on the same water at the same time.