XFs2 line rating

morphfly

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on what weight (grms or grains) is best for the Grey's Xfs2 S 15ft #10
Morphfly

Last edited:

Sewinboy

Reaction score
Hi Morphfly

I have the XF2 Scandi in 14ft. It says on the blank that it's a 9 weight, but it really needs a 44gr head to get it going. It's lifeless with a true 9 weight line

morphfly

Reaction score
Sewinboy
Thanks.Have not fished with it until recently on the Tweed. Have always gone a line up on Grays and Hardys. What I thought was a 10/11 line was in fact 38grms. Would think I'll need 44grms+
Morphfly

glenelg100

Reaction score
I have an xf2 13' . I bought a 8/9 line and I couldn't cast it properl, a couple of experienced guys gave it a go and they both agreed a line size up would be better so now I use a 9/10 and I can cast it a lot easier .

Tyke

Reaction score
Nellie,

Let’s get out early next month & I’ll take a selection of 40 - 46 gram heads for you to try on the rod.

Regards, Tyke.

tony w

Reaction score
Xf2s

Hi, morpfly, I have the 12 and 13 ft in this rod I use Rio switchchuckér line flies out but the 12ft 8/9 defo needs to go up a line rating it's better rod for doing it

Balder

Reaction score
Greys 15ft XF2S

I have the 15ft version of this rod and use a Guideline RM spey #10 44g 14.5m/47.5ft line which works well. It is a powerful rod which needs a heavy line.

Jer

Reaction score
Not sure if this helps but i use the Gaelforce Spey equivalent on the T Series... if it were an option i would look at the Gaelforce Scandi/Shooting Head option. They really are good lines.

I would agree... on the T series the heavier 63ft head opens the rod up... the lighter 54 ft rod is good too... but it may be more the application of technique than anything. So perhaps not overlining but increasing the weight by perhaps getting a longer head if available could be a solution... but could be an expensive experiment... suppose it depends how much you want to invest in finding out how your rod reel line combo suits you(r) casting efficiency