Wye 2021

rightangle

Reaction score
You are of course right golantman and I myself have in the past referred to wage bills over £600,000 but i thought "over half a million" was sufficient to make my point.

In fact I imagine WUF have made a very astute move in appealing to the general public. After all the world and his wife now know via the MSM what a shambles the Wye currently is [and has been for years] and despite any number of SSSI and SAC labels has become an open sewer. Band wagons have been well and truly jumped upon and Joe Public will be pleased to do his bit for "the environment."

What Joe Public doesn't realize of course is that the very organization begging for money has in fact been at the fore front of Wye management for the past 25 years and have watched its decline. spent heaven knows how many millions all to no avail and now has the bare faced cheek to beg for money to put things right. They have got more front than Blackpool.

Last edited:

golantman

Reaction score
You are of course right golantman and I myself have in the past referred to wage bills over £600,000 but i thought "over half a million" was sufficient to make my point.

In fact I imagine WUF have made a very astute move in appealing to the general public. After all the world and his wife now know via the MSM what a shambles the Wye currently is [and has been for years] and despite any number of SSSI and SAC labels has become an open sewer. Band wagons have been well truly jumped upon and Joe Public will be pleased to do his bit for "the environment."

What Joe Public doesn't realize of course is that the very organization begging for money has in fact been at the fore front of Wye management for the past 25 years and have watched its decline. spent heaven knows how many millions all to no avail and now has the bare faced cheek to beg for money to put things right. They have got more front than Blackpool.
i sent this e mail to WUF on Wednesday, still await a reply.

I had hoped to attend your annual meeting this year to voice my concerns over the direction of the foundation and its future response and actions to the ever declining salmon numbers.

I was dismayed to see that you have called your meeting on the same date and at the same venue and the same time as the meeting of the Wye Salmon Association whos meeting was diarised and publicised more than one month ago.

I sincerely hope that this clash of dates is an unfortunate oversight by yourselves and that you will be able to re arrange your meeting for another date.

Such is the interest in your meeting that I would also ask in view of limited numbers that you either stream it to interested parties or hold in on a platform such as team viewer or zoom

meyre

Reaction score
Surely a coincidence for WUF to have inserted themselves into the same building on the same evening at approximately the same time as the WSA which shares many of the same concerns as WUF?
Was it WUF who booked last?
If so....
Which is it ? A fool or a knave to do such a thing?
Obviously the 2 should combine to give maximum clout to solving the relentless decline of such a cherished and protected natural resource , the River Wye - perhaps Charles Newington-Bridges could do a spot of bridge building here...for the greater good rather than tiddybit self interest.

peterchilton

Reaction score
WSA booked about a month ago :)

WUF only 25 people allowed i don't know if this includes staff

looking at their website they may have cancelled it or maybe its just for "members"?

fixedspool

Reaction score
Seems WUF may have a conscience after all Their AGM is to be re arranged apparently. New details to appear on their Events page with details of how to book etc. Who would have thought it though there could be another reason other than the clash of dates with WSA

golantman

Reaction score
lets hope they reschedule it and open it to all, the 25 persons limit almost suggests they want neither input debate or discussion.
will they take the opportunity to open up??

Last edited:

fixedspool

Reaction score

The Foundation's 2021 Annual Meeting​

Our 2021 Annual Meeting will be held at 7.00pm on Thursday 2nd December at the Castle Hotel, Brecon. This is a free event and anyone is welcome to come along.
However, for COVID reasons, numbers this year are restricted and booking a space in advance is essential. Regretfully, anyone turning up without having booked a place cannot be permitted entrance.
Bookings can be made via this page or by email only. We require a name, telephone number and email address for everyone who is reserving a place. Please do not book multiple places under one name.
More spaces may become available closer to the time depending on the prevailing COVID restrictions.

Meeting Itinerary​

There will be presentations from WUF staff and an opportunity to ask questions regarding the Foundation's activities. Our guest speaker will be Oli Brown of Natural Resources Wales who will be giving an update on the smolt tracking project on the Usk.
A buffet of sandwiches, tea and biscuits will be provided. The hotel's bar will be open too.
We very much look forward to seeing you there.

Book a place​

Ticket

sewinfly

Reaction score

The Foundation's 2021 Annual Meeting​

Our 2021 Annual Meeting will be held at 7.00pm on Thursday 2nd December at the Castle Hotel, Brecon. This is a free event and anyone is welcome to come along.
However, for COVID reasons, numbers this year are restricted and booking a space in advance is essential. Regretfully, anyone turning up without having booked a place cannot be permitted entrance.
Bookings can be made via this page or by email only. We require a name, telephone number and email address for everyone who is reserving a place. Please do not book multiple places under one name.
More spaces may become available closer to the time depending on the prevailing COVID restrictions.

Meeting Itinerary​

There will be presentations from WUF staff and an opportunity to ask questions regarding the Foundation's activities. Our guest speaker will be Oli Brown of Natural Resources Wales who will be giving an update on the smolt tracking project on the Usk.
A buffet of sandwiches, tea and biscuits will be provided. The hotel's bar will be open too.
We very much look forward to seeing you there.

Book a place​

Ticket

Don't think there is much to talk about with the smolt tracking project on the Usk. I have yet to see a smolt run go down the river.
Yet on the Ogmore it's a great sight to see if your lucky to be there at the right time.

I attended a zoom meeting with the LTFG & NRW"seem to struggle with zoom meetings" the smolt run was mentioned then but I can't for the life of me what was mentioned and I was trying my best shorthand 😞 to write everything down.
Think there was a couple that made it.

I asked the question as what was the number that came through the Taff barrage to feed the Ely and Taff and was a pethetic 186 salmon they think but there is other fish that enter the same time,bass,mullet eels oh and before I forget 6 sewin.
Absolutely ridiculous, which was once a great river for the species and is no more.

NRW more interested in having another long term plan, 5 years, 10 years who knows but it won't increase the stocks in the river.
We need a stocking plan and soon.

To many fossils stopping this in charge yet the Moy has had a return of over 6000 Atlantic Salmon.
Where are we going wrong

meyre

Reaction score

The Moy​

A cheery summary of the Moy.....does it have hatchery?.... chicken farms?...What does it do that the Wye doesn't ?

2018​

Season​

February 1st – September 30th.

Ireland has a number of great river systems and of these, the Moy, which straddles counties Mayo and Sligo, is one of the most productive. It is approximately one hundred Km long and with its extensive tributaries, it drains a catchment of over two thousand square kilometers. The system includes great loughs such as Conn and Cullin but also many small lakes and streams. For much of its course, the Moy flows through pastureland hut the mountains of the watersheds which feed it are almost always in view from its banks. The Nephin Beg range lines the western horizon and the Ox mountains mark the eastern watershed.

The Moy has long been famous as Ireland’s premier Salmon river and it offers a wide variety of quality angling to suit all tastes and budgets. Most of the main Moy channel, and some of its larger tributaries provide excellent spring Salmon and grilse fishingwith both fly and bait. Sea trout are also abundant in the Moy.

The main Moy channel is deep and up to forty meters wide in the middle and lower reaches. Huge numbers of Salmon are landed here each season. 12,305 in 1996. The average annual Salmon rod catch on the Moy over the last ten years is a staggering 7,362 fish. The famous Ridge Pool alone has produced up to 2,660 Salmon to rod and line in a single season.

The upper river has a different character and is more akin to a spate river in parts. The fishing here can be superb and the pioneering angler can find excellent Salmon fishing in solitude.

The Moy estuary has large stocks of sea trout, some of which exceed four pounds, and which can be caught on fly and bait. The lower heats around Ballina and Foxford, and some locations on the upper river; also provide good sea trout fishing late in the season.

Angling Methods​

All legal methods are permitted on the Moy, but anglers are requested to check with ghillies and owners to confirm local rules.

peterchilton

Reaction score

Msalmojack

Reaction score
I know it’s been posted already, but could someone confirm the time and venue for the WSA meeting on the 26th please?

salarchaser

Reaction score

Just need to get a load of eastern europeans working at the chicken farms and share the recipes. :unsure:

meyre

Reaction score
Peter thank you for the brave cookery suggestions . Usually 'boil barbel and dispose - drink soup'

Natural cultural demand .... Sadly our handy, diligent, hard living, weekend enjoying friends from eastern Europe are barred by the small matter of 'freedom of movement' which was lost along with £700 billions of easy well established trade on 31.X11.20 ... surely the otters must enjoy these fine bony yet tasty fish ? Perhaps the beavers could be trained to corral barbus barbus within their mighty damns . Unfortunately once captured, export to a barbel eating country ...yes mostly in the EU.. is so difficult as to be not worthwhile.... fertiliser perhaps?

Do these important matters get an airing at any of these meetings?

Oh and apart from no barbel what else gives the Moy a relatively healthy head of S.Salar?

Richardgw

Reaction score
surely the otters must enjoy these fine bony yet tasty fish ?
Yes they do as I found some good ones (dead that is) half eaten on both the banks of the Wye and lower Usk where unfortunately they are also now established; no doubt again from illegal stocking.

Otters also take trout and salmon as well but to me they are part and parcel of the river and I am happy to see them. Not so the coarse boys many of whom treat them as vermin.

Last edited:

Geoffmaynard

Reaction score
Yes they do as I found some good ones (dead that is) half eaten on both the banks of the Wye and lower Usk where unfortunately they are also now established; no doubt again from illegal stocking.

Otters also take trout and salmon as well but to me they are part and parcel of the river and I am happy to see them. Not so the coarse boys many of whom treat them as vermin.
I find that interesting. I've walked the banks almost daily between Glasbury and Hay and never once seen a single ottered barbel carcass. Salmon, yes - a couple every winter, and once, a chub. But never a barbel.