Wye 2020

Maggy

Reaction score
I've found and have been going through the Clubs catch data over the winter. Apart from the our recent resurrection the last time we were in double figures was 1999 when we were on 12(5yr ave). This was the year when C&R was introduced from season start until June it was also the year when the decline of salmon fishing in the Club commenced with a vengeance.

Totals of salmon caught fell off a cliff and went down and down until 2004 when fish being reported stopped completely and I can't even find any year diary for the years 2005 -2008. I probably don't need to say that 2005 was the year when worm fishing stopped and we lost nearly all our salmon fishers in one hit which may be why I can find no diaries.

For me it also bears out those prophesies the are currently running with many clubs in Wales in that their membership will dive in the future, we've seen it happen.
However as a newbie I wanted to try salmon fishing for myself before they were gone and came to the sport late and had to use spinning and fly fishing. Before I knew it I was on the Committee and having to reinvent the salmon section from nothing.

Attracting some excellent and experienced salmon fishers is the secret and we have proved that it is possible to work at improving the fishing with some basic hard work on the infrastructure. Work such as trimming back the whips on the willows and overhanging branches etc so that the members can fish easily off the bank when the water is too high to wade.
Sharing information is another important aspect of modern salmon fishing on the Wye. I don't believe in secrets and all members are in a messaging group so they know when conditions are right and what is being caught.

So Peter I hope you are right and we can nudge up our total again but if we can't it will not be because we haven't tried our best. :D

Trev.
Sounds like you need to attract some salmon first. Your river needs some Norwegian management action by the sound of it I.e. closure.

fixedspool

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to attract some salmon first. Your river needs some Norwegian management action by the sound of it I.e. closure.
What it needs first is some Norwegian water quality which would be a good start and and get the hell out of Scotland with the Norwegian owned salmon farms. They cause problems in Norway too don't forget.

Maggy

Reaction score
What it needs first is some Norwegian water quality which would be a good start and and get the hell out of Scotland with the Norwegian owned salmon farms. They cause problems in Norway too don't forget.
You may not know that Norwegian RIVER management will close a threatened river at the drop of a hat e.g. in 2018 and take swift action e.g. There are now only 8 rivers left with GD ( the louse ) problems from over 40. That was my point.

peterchilton

Reaction score
It would be relevant if it was the cause but generally its status is down to very very very poor management, in every way.

Richardgw

Reaction score
You may not know that Norwegian RIVER management will close a threatened river at the drop of a hat e.g. in 2018 and take swift action e.g. There are now only 8 rivers left with GD ( the louse ) problems from over 40. That was my point.
The Wye is very different to the Norwegian GD problem. In Norway they had a specific bug problem and that was dealt with by poisoning the whole river and then letting it recover naturally. The water quality otherwise was not an issue.

On the Wye our problem is water quality. In a nutshell the river is treated as an open sewer and closing a river will make the situation worse as there will not be the anglers on the banks pointing out all the pollution and putting pressure on the powers that be to take action.

Maggy

Reaction score
The Wye is very different to the Norwegian GD problem. In Norway they had a specific bug problem and that was dealt with by poisoning the whole river and then letting it recover naturally. The water quality otherwise was not an issue.

On the Wye our problem is water quality. In a nutshell the river is treated as an open sewer and closing a river will make the situation worse as there will not be the anglers on the banks pointing out all the pollution and putting pressure on the powers that be to take action.
You will see that I used 2018 as an example, GD was not the issue then.

Recovering a salmon river from its bones is not helped by angling pressure.

Wye issues, for which you have my sympathy, have been known about for years. It rather sums up the lack of proper regulation you have down there in England.

A great friend of mine did an early report on the Wye highlighting the same Issues you have now - binned by regulators.

Last edited:

peterchilton

Reaction score
Its not just water quality, that's just the most recent thing and easy to see and its not just England its mainly NRW in Wales and rivers trusts that have failed the Wye.