Wye 2019

gwelsher

Reaction score
Well somebody had to start 2019 I suppose.
Let's hope the once mighty Wye defies the considerable odds and gets back some of it's glory.
Happy new season to everybody and fingers crossed.

meyre

Reaction score
Thanks Gary

Now I've mined some exciting ML workings that have provided the # totals of salmon that will be caught during 2019 on the Wye and its tributaries....a figure that will correspond ( MOSTLY )with both those of RWGA and WUF

The lower figure is : 1455 the upper 1798

Get weaving there's much to be done!

Richardgw

Reaction score
Thanks Gary

Now I've mined some exciting ML workings that have provided the # totals of salmon that will be caught during 2019 on the Wye and its tributaries....a figure that will correspond ( MOSTLY )with both those of RWGA and WUF

I glad to see someone optimistic as after last year even the lower figure would be a big step in the right direction. Looking on the bright side we’ve had a bad year every 4 years (2002, 2006, 2010, 2014 & 2018) so let’s hope your prediction comes true as it will require some decent runs of fish combined with good fishing conditions; things that were sadly missing last year.

Tight lines to all on the Wye and may your fish stay attached long enough to get them into the net.

fixedspool

Reaction score
Thanks Gary

Hope your right but through rose tinted glasses I saw a flying pig today, ran over a Magpie and smashed a mirror.
Someone tells me there is a 1 before the figures 455 and 798 but I can't see it myself.:evil::lol:

steved

Reaction score
Hoping we get a decent year of water conditions more than anything , a year without oxtail soup would be nice, river in perfect nick i would think at the moment shame we aren't starting early, would be nice to start early and finish earlier but that's a can of worms that wont be opened, good luck to everyone that casts a line on the river this season, water dependent lets hope some of the big springers are about, i love fishing March and April more than any other months you just never know and recent years have shown me personally there are big fish still running the river

Tight lines

meyre

Reaction score
Yes worms and shrimps...they were the prime way to fish the Wye, Towy, Loughor or any river that held depth, colour and salmon.....a real skill.
Are they permitted anywhere now?

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own coun
Hope your right but through rose tinted glasses I saw a flying pig today, ran over a Magpie and smashed a mirror.
Someone tells me there is a 1 before the figures 455 and 798 but I can't see it myself.:evil::lol:
Speaking of airborne pork, a good few years back I seem to recall someone somewhere state the Wye had 3 or 4 year cycles of peaks in catches (can't remember exactly). With more data etc. do you still see that. I've not seen a graph for ages of Wye catches, and haven't really updated my data lately but does that still happen?

1981/86/88/91/94/96/98/01/04/08/12/2016 were the "peaks" as I recall so presuemably if the hypothesis holds true then 2018 was pants and be prepared to fill your boots in 2020...

Unless however all it reflects is Charlton Chestwig, the Worlds best salmon angler, taking a month's holiday fishing the Wye every 4 years...

;)we could probably see that in the effort data, or would we?

Last edited:

fixedspool

Reaction score
Speaking of airborne pork, a good few years back I seem to recall someone somewhere state the Wye had 3 or 4 year cycles of peaks in catches (can't remember exactly). With more data etc. do you still see that. I've not seen a graph for ages of Wye catches, and haven't really updated my data lately but does that still happen?

1981/86/88/91/94/96/98/01/04/08/12/2016 were the "peaks" as I recall so presuemably if the hypothesis holds true then 2018 was pants and be prepared to fill your boots in 2020...

Unless however all it reflects is Charlton Chestwig, the Worlds best salmon angler, taking a month's holiday fishing the Wye every 4 years...

;)we could probably see that in the effort data, or would we?

You mean to say you have not got a graph to illustrate your point Seeking -whatever the point is? That's truly shocking.;)

I don't recall having seen a 'peak' in Wye catches since 1988.

meyre

Reaction score
It's down to a lack of lumbricus terrestris, probably also pandalis borealis:eek:hwell:.

meyre

Reaction score
Yes decapods...we used to have white clawed crays in the Arrow around Kington and I guess all the way to the Wye...someone 'did' for them over a very warm August bank holiday w/end in 1990 . They were delicious and I guess they owed that to the trout spawn....there were no salmon in the top of the Arrow then nor many FEBs ...hey ho ...onward

TommyC

Reaction score
I love the Wye. I went to Monmouth comprehensive and lived in the Wye valley until I was 18. I fished for trout that whole time (Tintern angling club if you're asking) and never dreamed that one day I would be able to afford to fish the Wye for Salmon.

Fast forward to 2010. At the age of 32, I caught my first ever salmon in June on the the Wyesham beat a stones throw away from the bridge I'd spent so many years hanging around with friends. A special moment.

Earlier that year, knowing nothing about salmon fishing, I'd gone for a day's fishing, or as I thought of it, casting practice, in March. I had no expectation of catching whatsoever. My fly just stopped swimming in Cottage Pool and I connected to a fish that did exactly as it pleased for the next 15 minutes. It didn't make any big runs, it didn't do anything spectacular, it just cruised around the pool doing exactly as it pleased. Eventually the hook pulled out, and I may or may not have sworn for about 10 minutes non-stop.

I've caught a fair few salmon since up to 18lbs but I'm convinced that was the biggest one I've ever hooked by some margin.

The Wye is a magical river. Best wishes to all those fishing her this year!

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
I love the Wye. I went to Monmouth comprehensive and lived in the Wye valley until I was 18. I fished for trout that whole time (Tintern angling club if you're asking) and never dreamed that one day I would be able to afford to fish the Wye for Salmon.

Fast forward to 2010. At the age of 32, I caught my first ever salmon in June on the the Wyesham beat a stones throw away from the bridge I'd spent so many years hanging around with friends. A special moment.

Earlier that year, knowing nothing about salmon fishing, I'd gone for a day's fishing, or as I thought of it, casting practice, in March. I had no expectation of catching whatsoever. My fly just stopped swimming in Cottage Pool and I connected to a fish that did exactly as it pleased for the next 15 minutes. It didn't make any big runs, it didn't do anything spectacular, it just cruised around the pool doing exactly as it pleased. Eventually the hook pulled out, and I may or may not have sworn for about 10 minutes non-stop.

I've caught a fair few salmon since up to 18lbs but I'm convinced that was the biggest one I've ever hooked by some margin.

The Wye is a magical river. Best wishes to all those fishing her this year!
I enjoyed reading that, thanks for posting.

Ps the way you described the one you lost it sounded like a big one to me too!

Last edited:

Llandogo

Reaction score
The Wye.

Lovely post Tommy, unusual to have a positive post on this river, they unfortunately are far less interesting made by those with a big egos and know little of the river. I was born and bred a couple of miles up the valley from you. The Wye Valley and it’s river are truly magical and I suspect you are feeling a little homesick,I know I would be. I have fished the Wye all my life and it breaks my heart to see the state she is in now and yet I still persist because of her magic. I have fished many places in the world including Scotland, Ireland, Russia, PNW, Australia, Canada and even the Amazon.i have also fished a couple of rivers in BC and even endured combat fishing on the Frasier. What is pretty common to most of them is their decline. I must say that the Wye Valley will always be my favourite place on this Planet. Tommy, British Columbia is a beautiful place but remember your heritage the Wye will always welcome back her sons, she will be here waiting. Good luck to you and keep us posted on your adventures

TommyC

Reaction score
Lovely post Tommy, unusual to have a positive post on this river, they unfortunately are far less interesting made by those with a big egos and know little of the river. I was born and bred a couple of miles up the valley from you. The Wye Valley and it’s river are truly magical and I suspect you are feeling a little homesick,I know I would be. I have fished the Wye all my life and it breaks my heart to see the state she is in now and yet I still persist because of her magic. I have fished many places in the world including Scotland, Ireland, Russia, PNW, Australia, Canada and even the Amazon.i have also fished a couple of rivers in BC and even endured combat fishing on the Frasier. What is pretty common to most of them is their decline. I must say that the Wye Valley will always be my favourite place on this Planet. Tommy, British Columbia is a beautiful place but remember your heritage the Wye will always welcome back her sons, she will be here waiting. Good luck to you and keep us posted on your adventures
A great post Llandogo, and I know your village well. Sadly, what you say about decline is all too true. Even in BC salmon farms, commercial over fishing and warming sea temperatures seem to be gradually killing the golden goose. BC is well behind the UK in that regard but, unfortunately, the direction of travel seems clear.

Even though I live in BC, the Wye Valley will always be the place I feel at home. In my biased opinion there's no finer place than Monmouthshire in May when the sun is out, the flowers are blooming and maybe, just maybe, there's a springer waiting for you in your favourite pool!

OURTREV

Reaction score
Ross AC

20181201_140003.jpg

Really looking forward to the new season with only 7 weeks to go. I know there are doubts about it but as usual at this time of the year I'm full of hope and enthusiasm.

Keen Club members at Ross have spent the winter opening up about another 150 metres of bank for fishing when the Wye is in flood. This gives us some promising catches close by the bank in water 5 -6ft of water for early season spring fish. When these were fished last is mist of time stuff.

All the best to all Wye salmon anglers for the coming year and tightlines to all. Go to our website at rossanglingclub.co.uk for details of membership opportunities. Trev. :D

steved

Reaction score
Caemawr1.jpg

Cleared 60 mtrs of old willow out at Caemawr on Muddy Bank to open up one of the old pools unfishable before the weekend , lovely flow through here looking forward to fishing it now

OURTREV

Reaction score
View attachment 34573

Cleared 60 mtrs of old willow out at Caemawr on Muddy Bank to open up one of the old pools unfishable before the weekend , lovely flow through here looking forward to fishing it now
Great work, how many miles of excellent fishable Wye are currently under Willow bushes which grow, fall or split and regrow making the banks unfishable. Strength to your arm, pollarding a normal process in the past but lost with lack of labour and no demand for baskets these days. :)

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
Just to be pedantic. You have been coppicing (pruning at ground level). Pollarding is trimming the crowns of trees and shrubs. I'll get my coat.;)

steved

Reaction score
Great work, how many miles of excellent fishable Wye are currently under Willow bushes which grow, fall or split and regrow making the banks unfishable. Strength to your arm, pollarding a normal process in the past but lost with lack of labour and no demand for baskets these days. :)
It opens up the old pool and historical records show that a lot of fish were caught on muddy bank and into the head of green bank, with the willows there you couldn’t really see the old pool but now with the flow on the inside the feet of silt will wash away to reveal gravel and an old bar that we think might of been a crossing point years ago , opens another fishy pool all we need now is the fish

OURTREV

Reaction score
It opens up the old pool and historical records show that a lot of fish were caught on muddy bank and into the head of green bank, with the willows there you couldn’t really see the old pool but now with the flow on the inside the feet of silt will wash away to reveal gravel and an old bar that we think might of been a crossing point years ago , opens another fishy pool all we need now is the fish
Our experience entirely.. :)

Richardgw

Reaction score
Good work there Steve. Your pic brings back memories when PAAS held the water in early 2000s. At that time I was told by a former gillie that the bottom end of the beat near the Pink hut was the best bit. Unfortunately because of thick vegetation I was never able to test his theory but pass the comment to you as it might be worth exploring.

Last edited: