WTF next

Pollowick

Reaction score
Listening to question time last night and someone said that Warwick Davies is upset when called a midget and that is good reason to ban use.

WHY?

Midget basically means small, so midget gems/sweets, Midget car, Midget Mustang, midget submarine &c they are all fine. Using it to describe a person - yes that can be offensive to some, but it should not mean it cannot be used elsewhere

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I got curious as to the origins of the word midget and it does seem that it may have been used pejoratively for much of it's existence. However it seems to have foundations in the word 'midge'. So, from now on I guess we're calling the scourge of the Highlands and West Coast the 'Mini'. :rolleyes:

So we agree that it's been used pejoratively for much of its existence, yet we're cool to carry on doing that... I genuinely don't understand why folk are so cross about the change. We call the professor a snowflake - but there are lots of people on this thread looking for things to be outraged about, too.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
So we agree that it's been used pejoratively for much of its existence, yet we're cool to carry on doing that... I genuinely don't understand why folk are so cross about the change. We call the professor a snowflake - but there are lots of people on this thread looking for things to be outraged about, too.

Lots of of people on THIS THREAD looking for thing's to be outraged about ?

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Im outraged by your comment.
My flabber is gasted!!!!

Try these 👍😂😂

Screenshot_20220114-200507~2.png

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Lots of of people on THIS THREAD looking for thing's to be outraged about ?
Yes. People are outraged about midget gems being renamed. Even though you know it’s a pejorative word. There’s no perspective - fair enough, didn’t really think, probably isn’t great is it, ah well never mind…Straight to being outraged and triggered, while taking the pee out of people that are outraged and triggered. You’re no better, guys. It’s not a great word. It’s probably a good idea.

Elibank

Reaction score
Yes. People are outraged about midget gems being renamed. Even though you know it’s a pejorative word. There’s no perspective - fair enough, didn’t really think, probably isn’t great is it, ah well never mind…Straight to being outraged and triggered, while taking the pee out of people that are outraged and triggered. You’re no better, guys. It’s not a great word. It’s probably a good idea.
This is very concerning, I’m concerned…😁

westie4566

Reaction score
So we agree that it's been used pejoratively for much of its existence, yet we're cool to carry on doing that... I genuinely don't understand why folk are so cross about the change. We call the professor a snowflake - but there are lots of people on this thread looking for things to be outraged about, to

Don't include me in your 'agreement'! (y) I just looked at the word and it's origins and posted re that.

The sad thing is that 99.999999% of the population will have been using the word entirely innocently and without malice. Upthread are all the occasions it's been used to describe a 'product' as being small. End of.

I'm all for saving our rich and diverse language, not lessen it with the removal of words that a few folk have decided (in very recent times) is offensive to them.

On this occasion I'd love to be able to canvas the entire population of the UK who are of shorter stature for their opinions. Historically many of them have made huge careers by using the very term 'midget' themselves. The history is there if you just google it. My bet is that the vast majority wouldn't give a flying one.

Warwick Davis....what a dick. Speak about jumping on a bandwagon! It would like John Inman, Kenny Everrit, Larry Grayson et al, all of a sudden (were they still around) bitching and moaning about making a lucrative career for being flamboyantly gay.

salarchaser

Reaction score
I'm all for saving our rich and diverse language, not lessen it with the removal of words that a few folk have decided (in very recent times) is offensive to them.
There'll be objections to the use of the terms woke and snowflake next.
Weather forecasts will need to show a feathery ice crystal, typically displaying delicate sixfold symmetry.
And what becomes of Woking and Wokingham I've no idea.

westie4566

Reaction score
There'll be objections to the use of the terms woke and snowflake next.
Weather forecasts will need to show a feathery ice crystal, typically displaying delicate sixfold symmetry.
And what becomes of Woking and Wokingham I've no idea.
The latter will be Ing and Ingham :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

On a serious note, we've allowed the nut jobs to take over the asylum in this country of ours. Bloody sad state of affairs.

That said, the more the 'woke' faction try and make me conform, trust me the naughtier I'm going to become:p

Lamson v10

Reaction score

Screenshot_20220114-232829~3.png

ozzyian

Reaction score
Don't include me in your 'agreement'! (y) I just looked at the word and it's origins and posted re that.

The sad thing is that 99.999999% of the population will have been using the word entirely innocently and without malice. Upthread are all the occasions it's been used to describe a 'product' as being small. End of.

On this occasion I'd love to be able to canvas the entire population of the UK who are of shorter stature for their opinions. Historically many of them have made huge careers by using the very term 'midget' themselves. The history is there if you just google it. My bet is that the vast majority wouldn't give a flying one.

Warwick Davis....what a dick. Speak about jumping on a bandwagon! It would like John Inman, Kenny Everrit, Larry Grayson et al, all of a sudden (were they still around) bitching and moaning about making a lucrative career for being flamboyantly gay.

Why would you worry when 99.99% of the population couldn't care less. The important thing to remember is the pointless 1 in a thousand who's main aim in life is being a victim. You should be ashamed of your callous disregard in not giving a flying one.

;)

Last edited:

Andrew B

Reaction score
The world has gone mad
Quite literally this.
I do know a couple who moved from Montrose to my area. Husband must be six ft and his wife was born with whatever it is that causes this.
I’m sure she would laugh at this.
One sees these headlines and you can barely believe they’re not a send up lol?
Funniest one I’ve seen of late was in America and it being about zebra mussels being non indigenous. The headline and article no doubt written up from some Ivy League college was about stopping using the term “Invasive Species” as we wouldn’t wanna upset those Zebra mussels lol.

Andrew B

Reaction score
It being a packet of sweets I’m not sure why it was even considered. That said I have an old cook book from my grandma and I’m not sure I could even show the pics and the names of some buns.
Still I’m not comfortable in the blanket term POC? Given how this term relates to the majority of the Earth I can’t understand how this term is somehow better than using their nationality?
As John Cleese said Political correctness is in itself a good idea about being kind and considerate but who chooses to censor is worrying.

Andrew B

Reaction score
I’m constantly amazed in this cancellation system around food and brand names, some that just don’t seem to relate to anything?
But given the morally superior way they go about this, using their own rules I’m gonna just put one out there, which curiously never gets mentioned?
The biscuit and brand I’m talking about is “Oreos” and if one looks up the meaning of that word and the colour of the biscuit I can’t see how this name just came about by accident?
If all of this movement wasn’t genuine this brand would of gone first.

Last edited:

Pollowick

Reaction score
I’m constantly amazed in this cancellation system around food and brand names, some that just don’t seem to relate to anything?
But given the morally superior way they go about this, using their own rules I’m gonna just put one out there, which curiously never gets mentioned?
The biscuit and brand I’m talking about is “Oreos” and if one looks up the meaning of that word and the colour of the biscuit I can’t see how this name just came about by accident?

The buiscuit was named first and the nickname taken from that ... had the biscuit been named anything else, that name would have been taken.

Elibank

Reaction score

7BD9C928-6CD7-4D4A-8B6D-7C2410E0C552.png

😁