Wow factor!

MCXFisher

Reaction score
[
MCXFisher said:
"'Yar' is an expression in old English that loosely translates as light, quick, agile and balanced."

Someone been watching the 1940 movie "The Philadelphia Story" ? :)
Nautical word "Yar" was used by Katherine Hepburn to describe her yacht. I've never heard it used before or since.

You're absolutely right. Perhaps I'm showing my age!

The term appears in both 'High Society' and the original 'Philadelphia Story", in description of Tracy's yacht, True Love. However, American script writing apart, the Old English got there first, with a term that actually owes most of its roots to Norse, in which the less elegant equivalent is 'heft'.

GeeBee

Reaction score
I havent picked up my 14ft 9wt since i first fished my Redington CPX 11'3" 7wt. Its just a lot more fun and easier to cast paired with an OPST set up. I also find the shorter rod easier to put more pressure on a fish, and it is much easier to tail them by hand in the water, so i can get them in and away much quicker.

I just realised that it was 2015, since i made the change lol.

whiter

Reaction score
Mid-season, I bit the bullet and retired my (very) old B&W 12'4" rod in favour of a new 12' Gaelforce Equalizer 8/9 coupled with a 33ft ESSS 8/9 (after robbing the bank). Once I got used to the different action, the Gaelforce rod gave me a greater power-to-effort ratio which, at my 70 years old, I need. I'll miss the B&W which has landed hundreds of fish, but the new rod was quickly christened and I've learned to love it. It's mainly used on spate rivers where cast length isn't everything, and it handles both short and medium casts beautifully. I've also tried it on bigger water where distance really matters and it certainly hurls a long line when needed.

Rockpool

Reaction score
I just realised that it was 2015, since i made the change lol.

Me too. 5 years ago the ‘wow’ was still an old brown 15’1” Sage European 10# and a 75’ 9/10 Carron (old) line. Now everything is 12’+ and 13’+. Current ‘wow’ setup is a Gaelforce Destination 13’9” 8/9 and 40g GF multi-tip but the search for the perfect rod is a never ending quest.

Loyalist84

Reaction score
For my part, I picked up an NRX 15' 10'11 in time for the fall season, and with a Fortuna X3 and and a 42g head, it's an absolutely unparalleled piece of salmon fishing equipment. Light in the hand, all the power you could ask for at the slightest push, and enough steam to bring any fish to heel you could find in the rivers I swing flies in. Got my eye on a 13' in a year or two!

Jimmcl

Reaction score
For my part, I picked up an NRX 15' 10'11 in time for the fall season, and with a Fortuna X3 and and a 42g head, it's an absolutely unparalleled piece of salmon fishing equipment. Light in the hand, all the power you could ask for at the slightest push, and enough steam to bring any fish to heel you could find in the rivers I swing flies in. Got my eye on a 13' in a year or two!
I agree. Its a rod that's hard to beat. For smaller/lower rivers, I have a Vision tool 13' that's pretty nice as well.

Hardie82

Reaction score
LTS Explosive 12’6 #8, Loop Evotec 8/10 reel, Gaelforce running line and John Norris Ni 540 floating shooting head. Amazing outfit, tried a few different setups recently but this one is perfect for me.

phatagrova

Reaction score
Well, a few hours into no more Salmon fishing this year and already I'm bored!.
So just wondering, as maybe some of us are pondering new kit for next season (Ha!, I never stop!), what kit do we have that gives us the wow! factor when casting.
Something that makes the job easy, makes us look good, opens up horizons and water never before reachable no matter the wind or bankside obstructions.
So for my 3d worth I'll nominate my Hardy Zenith, 12ft 6 ins. in 7 weight.Coupled to a 510 Airflo Scandi Compact floater, a tapered leader+ tippet or any poly+tippet, its a flaming' cannon.It's just so easy to cast and if you want/need to chuck further, simply pull more running line from the reel.Never have I cast an outfit that will bang line to the reel so hard with just about any cast or at any distance at all.
Now if I could get an outfit a step up from mine, then that'd make me a very happy bunny indeed!, so I'm all ears to that aspect.But if the thread helps with new choices for any one, or indeed opens any one's fishing up for the better, then its no bad thing.
Feel free to wax lyrical all, be cool to hear experience's.
Pedro.
Ive the exact same rod Rennie , A light but powerful rod , i have recently teamed it up with a gale force integrated head, great match

Rrrr

Reaction score
New reel for my switch rod is on my list. My little guideline reel decided to freespool while playing a half decent fish today and birds nested locking the reel. Ended up having to play it by hand and luckily the fish was nearly ready for netting anyway.
Stripped the reel and rekon ive sorted the issue but the issue is that ill not trust it now as it may loose me the fish of a lifetime.
Another issue is that its near enough silent and i quite like the sound of the drag as a fish tears away.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

sneakypeter

Reaction score
My favorite is still my Bloke, 11ft 3, 8/9wt switch, coupled with a Snowbee inter switch line, and lately an OPST commando head, just awesome, a newer addition, a cheap Shaky 12ft 9, 9wt skagit, coupled with a 3D , sink 3/4 head is proving to be a very nice option.

simoncassidy

Reaction score
Got my hands on an immaculate green Gloomis 13ft 6" #8/9 GLX Stinger and my god does it have the wow factor,Brilliant rod all round.Great casting tool,light and loads of backbone for getting fish in quick.Just bought a 12ft 9" #8/9 Hardy Demon Sintrix it will have to wait till next year to get put through its paces along with an 11ft #7 Gloomis Roaring River bought recently on the back of the 13ft 6" being awesome. My mind is hankering for a 15ft Asquith to give the 15ft 1 Zenith a well deserved rest.

paddymc

Reaction score
I have cast a lot of rods, but the one that impressed me most (as a shooting head rod) was the original Guideline Reaction 13’7, 9/10.

With a floating shooting head (Afs) and 10’ poly plus tippet, it was outstanding. Totally unmatched, for me.

Unfortunately it wasn’t as good with sinking heads and it also broke easily, as almost all of them did. Guideline replaced it with the frs version, which was a poker in comparison, but tended not to break.

mark22

Reaction score
Had the original Beulah switch rod paired with a 40+ line years ago before switch rods was heard of in ireland.

It was a mad set up, a real slow motion rod with a fast casting line, the rod would bend to the bottom handle and flex the big heavy line out like an arrow.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

ArchieL

Reaction score
13ft Hardy Sintrix , Best rod i have used and results in my FX1 being left in the house for all but the biggest water.

rs2ford

Reaction score
As an all round rod that could cope with most small or medium sized rivers and is not that line fussy with a grain window from 30-38gr I find the 13ft Loop Cross S1 hard to beat. It has the wow factor for me and when paired up with a 7/9 Classic it's a pleasure to use. I have a Custom built one and can't fault it in any way.
Cheers Diarmid.

Attachments

• 20201003_094913.jpg
    20201003_094913.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 73

Henke

Reaction score
As an all round rod that could cope with most small or medium sized rivers and is not that line fussy with a grain window from 30-38gr I find the 13ft Loop Cross S1 hard to beat. It has the wow factor for me and when paired up with a 7/9 Classic it's a pleasure to use. I have a Custom built one and can't fault it in any way.
Cheers Diarmid.
Like the build (handle and reel seat) especially the down lock - As the up lock - to me - is the only weak point/bad thing about this rod. Nice tool for salmonfishing.

Kype King

Reaction score
My favorite is still my Bloke, 11ft 3, 8/9wt switch, coupled with a Snowbee inter switch line, and lately an OPST commando head, just awesome, a newer addition, a cheap Shaky 12ft 9, 9wt skagit, coupled with a 3D , sink 3/4 head is proving to be a very nice option.

I love my Bloke 11’3” switch which I use with a Barrio switch line. As a matter of interest which commando head do you use?

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Kype King, from memory its the 375grain, effortless casting, I bought a 450gr one to use on a 14ft 9wt Hardy, again so easy to use, most of my fishing is on smallish waters so long casts are not the main focus, getting down quickly is, check out Hardyreels great thread, "How I get my flies down", the leader configuration is brilliant with these short heads, even in big water!

Andrew B

Reaction score
I keep toying with the idea of having a go at building one of those Bloke rods. I’ve always been aware that Bloke built rods were talked about in hushed tones and could hang with the Sages of this world.
Iain B of YouTube fame and channel has owned and built a few Bloke rods and believes the Bloke switch rod to be the best in the business?

sneakypeter

Reaction score
The Bloke switch is a proper switch, single or double handed casting ,no problem, some I have used would require a build like Arnie to cast single handed, they are just short doubles!

Kype King

Reaction score
I keep toying with the idea of having a go at building one of those Bloke rods. I’ve always been aware that Bloke built rods were talked about in hushed tones and could hang with the Sages of this world.
Iain B of YouTube fame and channel has owned and built a few Bloke rods and believes the Bloke switch rod to be the best in the business?

The 11’3” 8/9 bloke switch rod is one of the best rods I‘ve ever used and puts out a long line as well as being delicate enough for light presentation. I landed a 21lb salmon on one so it has plenty of backbone. Tried a 15ft trebuchet but couldn’t get on with it at all!

Handel

Reaction score
I have the 11'3" 7/8 Bloke switch rod which I use either with a Barrio switch line or a Gaelforce multi tip line. Great rod. The 13'6" trebuchet is also a great rod. I had heard the 15' not so much.