Wow factor!

Rennie

Reaction score
Well, a few hours into no more Salmon fishing this year and already I'm bored!.
So just wondering, as maybe some of us are pondering new kit for next season (Ha!, I never stop!), what kit do we have that gives us the wow! factor when casting.
Something that makes the job easy, makes us look good, opens up horizons and water never before reachable no matter the wind or bankside obstructions.
So for my 3d worth I'll nominate my Hardy Zenith, 12ft 6 ins. in 7 weight.Coupled to a 510 Airflo Scandi Compact floater, a tapered leader+ tippet or any poly+tippet, its a flaming' cannon.It's just so easy to cast and if you want/need to chuck further, simply pull more running line from the reel.Never have I cast an outfit that will bang line to the reel so hard with just about any cast or at any distance at all.
Now if I could get an outfit a step up from mine, then that'd make me a very happy bunny indeed!, so I'm all ears to that aspect.But if the thread helps with new choices for any one, or indeed opens any one's fishing up for the better, then its no bad thing.
Feel free to wax lyrical all, be cool to hear experience's.
Pedro.

Bruino

Reaction score
My go to outfit for this season has been: Hardy Zephrus 13ft 6in in 7/8 weight: either cascapedia light salmon, vosseler passion 9/10 or danielson coupled with galeforce shooting heads or short spey switch line covers all bases for me.

Oscar

Reaction score
I like my Barrio Switch on an Airflo Nantec Switch 11'3". Caught my 7 fish on the Thurso on it this year, and it's possible to single hand cast it, which helps.

However, it's my Loop Multi 6/9 that I LOVE! Just a great piece of design, and works really well too.

Oscar.

keirstream

Reaction score
I've developed a lasting passion since early summer for my Loop Cross 12ft teamed with the 7/12 Control and the Gaelforce 30g switch line.
The whole set up is so light and balanced in hand and the fun I have had this season with fish to 20lb is indescribeable. I fished it well into the back end with only breaks here and there when the water rose too much..
I found myself fishing it in situations and locations where previously I would have gone to my 13ft Gaelforce or 13ft 6 in Zenith and finding I enjoy the experience more.:):)
A perfect fit for the Teith, Earn and particularly the Clyde where all the rogues like RUSH, Rodbender, Bruino and McAndy go to plunder.:D:D

Mattytree

Reaction score
I've developed a lasting passion since early summer for my Loop Cross 12ft teamed with the 7/12 Control and the Gaelforce 30g switch line.
The whole set up is so light and balanced in hand and the fun I have had this season with fish to 20lb is indescribeable. I fished it well into the back end with only breaks here and there when the water rose too much..
I found myself fishing it in situations and locations where previously I would have gone to my 13ft Gaelforce or 13ft 6 in Zenith and finding I enjoy the experience more.:):)
A perfect fit for the Teith, Earn and particularly the Clyde where all the rogues like RUSH, Rodbender, Bruino and McAndy go to plunder.:D:D
What weight is your 12ft keirstream?

Gustav

Reaction score
The thing that gives me the wow factor when casting is knowing there are fresh fish in the system, knowing the river well, that it's at a good height, that my flies have worked before at the height and that I'm first down a pool or that its been well rested.
Its even better when I'm casting over fish I've seen on my recce or when that isn't possible when covering the usual hotspots.
Seeing a heading and tailing fish in the right place or a glint of silver ups the ante.
There is just nothing like that feeling of first contact and it has been the same for me no matter what rod or line or net I've been using.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
It's an interesting observation that all the comments so far relate to rods at the shorter end of the spectrum. This probably results from 2 factors: first, the development of resins that have allowed a lot of power to be embodied in small dimensions; and second, the manufacturers recognising the market demand for shorter, lighter rods that are easier and more fun to use. In contrast, 20 years ago most people's focus would have been on much longer and more powerful rods of around 15 feet.

There's no escaping the fact that a lighter rod is a delight to use. Within that range there will be various examples that really ring the bells for individuals, each with their own tastes and preferences. The way in which the rod that is perfect for you - and probably you alone - talks through your hands is almost mystical. Over the years I've tried many 'good' rods, but only a tiny minority have that special quality of 'yar' that make them stand head and shoulders above the rest. 'Yar' is an expression in old English that loosely translates as light, quick, agile and balanced.

Of course 'Yar' in a salmon rod requires perfect balance with a line and a reel, which is why previous posters have underlined the totality of their outfits. For me, the most remarkable two-handed rod I've ever used - Yar in excelsis - is the Vision XO 13' 6" #8, matched with the Rio Scandi 34gm on a Danielsson LW5 #8/12. Even with a ballasted butt (cunning those Finns) it is substantially lighter than a 13 footer, which despite a bad back allows me to fish all day in comfort.

I'm hoping that next year I shall be able to get my hands on the 12' 8" #7 version for a trial, in the full knowledge that there's rarely consistency in feel and excellence across most ranges of rods.

budge

Reaction score
More than happy with my bargain basement fishing gear, Oracle scandi rods, John Norris and rage lines etc. Wow factor for me would be breathable waders that don't leak and boots that last more than a season

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

JACK POWER

Reaction score
The majority of my fishing is done with what is now an oldish rod, Loomis NRX 13 8/9, so no opportunity for gloating dressed as well-intentioned advice there. However, that rod's performance has been brought to a new level by Nextcast Zone 550 grain lines - thanks for the tip Rotenone. Anyone who's seen me fish knows I'm not the embodiment of dexterity or lightness of foot but that line has made a huge difference, I can cast and control to a level I never imagined possible. That line, and when a bigger rod calls, a Gaelforce Destination rod are my recent gamechangers ...

D

Deleted member 21259

The majority of my fishing is done with what is now an oldish rod, Loomis NRX 13 8/9, so no opportunity for gloating dressed as well-intentioned advice there. However, that rod's performance has been brought to a new level by Nextcast Zone 550 grain lines - thanks for the tip Rotenone. Anyone who's seen me fish knows I'm not the embodiment of dexterity or lightness of foot but that line has made a huge difference, I can cast and control to a level I never imagined possible. That line, and when a bigger rod calls, a Gaelforce Destination rod are my recent gamechangers ...

A dammed fine rod. One of the best 13ft rods I have ever used and still own. If you want to really really go to town then get hold of the 13ft 6" Asquith. Pair it up with any 34g head either floating or sinking and I pretty much guarantee that you will either buy it or want to buy it. I had really thought rods had reached a plateau. This thing has proved me wrong on that score. The one bug bear I have with it is that I didn't get it till last week. I will be out with wool all through the silly season. I will stick my neck out and say best rod ever made and I have been very fortunate to be in a position where I have cast most of 'em.

carrowmore

Reaction score
It's an interesting observation that all the comments so far relate to rods at the shorter end of the spectrum. This probably results from 2 factors: first, the development of resins that have allowed a lot of power to be embodied in small dimensions; and second, the manufacturers recognising the market demand for shorter, lighter rods that are easier and more fun to use. In contrast, 20 years ago most people's focus would have been on much longer and more powerful rods of around 15 feet.

There's no escaping the fact that a lighter rod is a delight to use. Within that range there will be various examples that really ring the bells for individuals, each with their own tastes and preferences. The way in which the rod that is perfect for you - and probably you alone - talks through your hands is almost mystical. Over the years I've tried many 'good' rods, but only a tiny minority have that special quality of 'yar' that make them stand head and shoulders above the rest. 'Yar' is an expression in old English that loosely translates as light, quick, agile and balanced.

Of course 'Yar' in a salmon rod requires perfect balance with a line and a reel, which is why previous posters have underlined the totality of their outfits. For me, the most remarkable two-handed rod I've ever used - Yar in excelsis - is the Vision XO 13' 6" #8, matched with the Rio Scandi 34gm on a Danielsson LW5 #8/12. Even with a ballasted butt (cunning those Finns) it is substantially lighter than a 13 footer, which despite a bad back allows me to fish all day in comfort.

I'm hoping that next year I shall be able to get my hands on the 12' 8" #7 version for a trial, in the full knowledge that there's rarely consistency in feel and excellence across most ranges of rods.

That certainly applies to myself Michael . A couple of years ago I invested in a 12ft 9in Hardy Demon matched with a Rio Scandi Versitip #8/9 . My casting is a lot better with this outfit ( and I therefore enjoy it more ) and the old carcass doesn't ache as much at the end of a day's fishing. The 15 foot Bruce and Walker Norway is gathering dust and may go on eBay this Winter.

Last edited:

JACK POWER

Reaction score
A dammed fine rod. One of the best 13ft rods I have ever used and still own. If you want to really really go to town then get hold of the 13ft 6" Asquith. Pair it up with any 34g head either floating or sinking and I pretty much guarantee that you will either buy it or want to buy it. I had really thought rods had reached a plateau. This thing has proved me wrong on that score. The one bug bear I have with it is that I didn't get it till last week. I will be out with wool all through the silly season. I will stick my neck out and say best rod ever made and I have been very fortunate to be in a position where I have cast most of 'em.

Had a look a the Asquith, a grand looking toy but $1,400. I'll stick with the old NRX rods for a bit!!!

keirstream

Reaction score
What weight is your 12ft keirstream?
Sorry Matty, just logged back on.
It's the 7 weight which B.T.W. throws a 10ft sink 7 poly and a frances about for fun without having to double dunt,
That set up is never out my car
just as long as you make the effort to pull the fly on to the surface on your up stroke.
An absolute pleasure to fish with and it takes playing fish to another level.:D
That setup is never out of the boot now wherever I go.(y)

mc andy

Reaction score
I'll rogue yeah! ;)

yes as mcx suggested amazing how these wee rods have become so popular. 4yrs ago I bought a 12ft 8#.loop for low water Clyde and the north Esk. Soon discovered just how versatile a rod it was, using it pretty much exclusively. One thing I would suggest? Is the development of lines since probably the afs has been excellent and make these short rods really work.

Couple of weeks ago I purchased a 12ft 6 vision mag from a forum member, and got to say I'm suitably impressed. Paired with a 8# rio svt, it's fair worked for me over the last 2 weeks, think I've had 9 on it now :)

Cheers andy

rytenuff

Reaction score
MCXFisher said:
"'Yar' is an expression in old English that loosely translates as light, quick, agile and balanced."

Someone been watching the 1940 movie "The Philadelphia Story" ? :)
Nautical word "Yar" was used by Katherine Hepburn to describe her yacht. I've never heard it used before or since.

Neil W

Reaction score
I used the RJC 7122 and it’s a great rod. Thoroughly enjoyed using it with the Rio Scandi outbound 7/8. I may have to try that 30gr Gaelforce switch line for my wow factor next season

keirstream

Reaction score
MCXFisher said:
"'Yar' is an expression in old English that loosely translates as light, quick, agile and balanced."

Someone been watching the 1940 movie "The Philadelphia Story" ? :)
Nautical word "Yar" was used by Katherine Hepburn to describe her yacht. I've never heard it used before or since.

Reminds me of Para Handy when Para was defending the condition of his coal puffer.
"Man, if we painted her funnel, she would look chust like a yat, and a fine yat at that." :D:D

Mattytree

Reaction score
Sorry Matty, just logged back on.
It's the 7 weight which B.T.W. throws a 10ft sink 7 poly and a frances about for fun without having to double dunt,
That set up is never out my car
just as long as you make the effort to pull the fly on to the surface on your up stroke.
An absolute pleasure to fish with and it takes playing fish to another level.:D
That setup is never out of the boot now wherever I go.(y)
Cool I’ll keep an eye out for that line , was fishing the loop Scandi tip on mine and I’m not really getting the most out of it I feel, but maybe I’m just trying to put to much in to the cast, I just use it for smaller Flys on sea trout as could not get a decent turn over on tubes... would love to get a salmon on it though but found myself going straight to a14ft 7x when the conditions where right as I know I can fish The Flys and distance I want with it.

Kype King

Reaction score
Reminds me of Para Handy when Para was defending the condition of his coal puffer.
"Man, if we painted her funnel, she would look chust like a yat, and a fine yat at that." :D:D

Ah - the Para Handy Tales - ‘chust sublime’! Come to think of it, re-reading the whole series would be a good way to kill time in the closed season - thanks for the reminder!!

DC

Reaction score
Taking a different approach to the Wow Factor, The Flying Scotsman has supplied me with a 12' 7# blank with a cracking custom handle. So over the winter I have a wee project to complete the build and add some further customisation... results will be posted in due course...

Rockpool

Reaction score
Cool I’ll keep an eye out for that line , was fishing the loop Scandi tip on mine and I’m not really getting the most out of it I feel, but maybe I’m just trying to put to much in to the cast, I just use it for smaller Flys on sea trout as could not get a decent turn over on tubes... would love to get a salmon on it though but found myself going straight to a14ft 7x when the conditions where right as I know I can fish The Flys and distance I want with it.
My experience of the Loop Cross 12’ is that it much prefers shorter heads than scandis. It absolutely flies with the 30g Gaelforce switch at 33’ but is just ok with the GF 30g Scandi at 37’. Might just be my casting though.