Worming rod?

C

cgaines10

Anyone got any suggestions for a decent worming rod? really fancy giving this method a go.

Is the Wychwood SLA truebait anygood?

phil.b

Reaction score
Glasgow angling centre are doing a 12ft and 13ft diawa whisker spin for £85 ,i used to use the 12 footer for shrimping and worming it was a great rod.

C

cgaines10

Thanks for suggestions lads.

I was thinking of getting a 11fter, I think 12/13 would just be far too big?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEbody

Reaction score
Thanks for suggestions lads.

I was thinking of getting a 11fter, I think 12/13 would just be far too big?

It depends on how you want to fish.

If you want to throw a bunch of lobworms into a known lie and wait for a take, pretty much any spinning rod will do. The length will depend on the size of the river you’re fishing and personal preference.

If you want to fish upstream, searching for fish in streamier water, a long rod gives more control over where your worm is going. Something around 12’, with a fairly tippy action would be my preference. As fruinfisher says, consider a barbel rod with a 1.5lb test curve.

Last edited:

noeyedeer

Reaction score
I have the Wychwood Truebait 12ft, plus 2 x Daiwa Whisker 10-60g spin in 10ft x 4pc and 11ft x 2pc

The Whiskers are a much stiffer rod, suited to wanging out big lures on the Tay, with much less tip flex than the Truebait

Daiwa used to do a spin/bait which had a different action than the spin only.

The Truebait was recommended to me by a local who worms (and catches!) a lot more than me........

Last edited:

ibm59

Reaction score
It depends on how you want to fish.

If you want to throw a bunch of lobworms into a known lie and wait for a take, pretty much any spinning rod will do. The length will depend on the size of the river you’re fishing and personal preference.

If you want to fish upstream, searching for fish in streamier water, a long rod gives more control over where your worm is going. Something around 12’, with a fairly tippy action would be my preference. As fruinfisher says, consider a barbel rod with a 1.5lb test curve.

I used to use a custom built Graham Phillips 12’ worming rod to great effect in streams no wider than it was long most of the time.
‘As said above , being able to keep as much line as possible out of the water keeps you in control of your bait far more than would be possible with a shorter rod.
It was also ideal for dropping lures into tight spaces without any need for casting , and also for ‘ hanging ‘ lures over known lies.

Don’t discount a long rod for use on small streams. ;)

Rennie

Reaction score
The Andy Nicholson Shrimping and Worming special, class pice of kit, very very versatile too.His video's on bait and spin fishing are must see's for the all round game angler.
Pedro.

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
That’s what I’ve got . Top piece of kit . Harrison’s do the blank under “ Shrimper” which you can still get.

C

cgaines10

The Andy Nicholson Shrimping and Worming special, class pice of kit, very very versatile too.His video's on bait and spin fishing are must see's for the all round game angler.
Pedro.

Can you still get that rod?

Also where can I watch these videos?

Rennie

Reaction score
cgaines10, try googling Andy Nicholson, there's info there aplenty, not sure if his stuffs on the net to simply watch, as Fruinfisher says Harrisons still do the blank, sure the rod itself is still kicking about out there.
Pedro.

phil.b

Reaction score
You can buy the dvd the occasional salmon the practical guide to game fishing on dvd on amazon sometimes I see it on ebay he fishes a small river called the Irt in cumbria good to watch if your new to the dark side:wow::fish2:

Aled

Reaction score
I've got a Mac martin 11ft bait rod my go to rod for higher water or salmon worm fishing, it can also handle some types of spinning, but too soft for the upstream mepp, I also have a John Wilson 11ft Avon rod for my low water worming. Hardly use them these days, but at one time.....
Tight Lines
Aled

C

cgaines10

I've got a Mac martin 11ft bait rod my go to rod for higher water or salmon worm fishing, it can also handle some types of spinning, but too soft for the upstream mepp, I also have a John Wilson 11ft Avon rod for my low water worming. Hardly use them these days, but at one time.....
Tight Lines
Aled

I’ve seen that rod mentioned a lot, I’ll have to keep an eye out if one ever comes up for sale.

davyd

Reaction score
View attachment 37966depends where you fishing if power lines or trees above like where I go I find a 7 foot perfect View attachment 37965 Shimano la sath shimano Stella 4000/8 foot ugly stick I imported from Floridahttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj89uvKmbfjAhXynVwKHV_KA-4QFjAAegQIARAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uglystik.com%2Fuglystik-rods-spinning-rods%2Fugly-stik-bigwater-spinning-rod%2F1405250.html&usg=AOvVaw0IdTyY4jV0Iy9VNqej2748

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Are the newer ugly sticks no good for worming ? The old ones with the glass tip section were decent worming rods.
On the odd ocasion i use the worm i use my old tricast triune dutch feeder rod with the heaviest tip fitted and its just the job.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

C

cgaines10

I originally thought about just using my 9’ Daiwa whisker but didn’t know if it would be too stiff?

davyd

Reaction score
ugly stick

Are the newer ugly sticks no good for worming ? The old ones with the glass tip section were decent worming rods.
On the odd ocasion i use the worm i use my old tricast triune dutch feeder rod with the heaviest tip fitted and its just the job.

had an 8 foot for 30 year. they have a glass tip the one I got on eBay very sensitive for detection nice action handle a 20 pound salmon no trouble yet still have fun with a decent trout.
Shakespeare Ugly Stik Big Water 8.5ft Salmon & Steelhead Spinning Rod NEW 43388113900 | eBay Shakespeare Ugly Stik Big Water 8.5ft. Salmon or Steelhead spin fishing rod. This rod is model# SP 1186 2M, 2 piece, medium action, featuring a resilient graphite blank-through-handle construction with clear tip and epoxy coating for protection from UV rays, 6 stainless steel framed guides with aluminum oxide guides inserts plus tip, graphite Fuji reel seat with cushioned stainless steel hoods, classic cork handle and grip, and is rated for 8-20lb. line weight. It is excellent for freshwater or saltwater salmon or steelhead fishing and are new with five year Shakespeare manufacturers warranty.
Created by eBay Blackthorne ver. 3.1.136.0. I bought mine for 20 pounds American ebay.Shakespeare Ugly Stik Big Water BWS 1100 Fishing Rod 7' Spinning Medium Action | eBayhttps://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Ugly-Stik-Bigwater-Spinning/dp/B01N6U5SX1/ref=pd_cp_200_2?pd_rd_w=ovslx&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=KBK8WRZBT6XWFVBGXPBP&pd_rd_r=e6712248-a710-11e9-a93c-6bb543d57023&pd_rd_wg=A2mmB&pd_rd_i=B01N6U5SX1&psc=1&refRID=KBK8WRZBT6XWFVBGXPBP

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...1405250.html&usg=AOvVaw0IdTyY4jV0Iy9VNqej2748

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
I originally thought about just using my 9’ Daiwa whisker but didn’t know if it would be too stiff?

Itl do the job just fine to be honest, you may pull the odd worm out a fishes mouth but it wont make a ton of diffrence.

AdeyB

Reaction score
CG10 - I've got a virtually unused Abu Cardinal Uto 12' bait / worming rod you can have if of interest. Long story short - I bought it years ago when I had a rod on the Fyne ....just as they stopped letting rods. So it's not a modern rod ,is two piece but with fuji rings and down locking reel seat. I'd appreciate you covering the postage ... you've got first dibs but if you dont want it , offered to other members on the same terms.

Adey

C

cgaines10

CG10 - I've got a virtually unused Abu Cardinal Uto 12' bait / worming rod you can have if of interest. Long story short - I bought it years ago when I had a rod on the Fyne ....just as they stopped letting rods. So it's not a modern rod ,is two piece but with fuji rings and down locking reel seat. I'd appreciate you covering the postage ... you've got first dibs but if you dont want it , offered to other members on the same terms.

Adey

Hi Adey,

That’s a great gesture and I’d love to put it to good use!

I’ll pm you.

Cheers,
Chris.