Worming for Salmon

Fall prince

Reaction score
I am a dedicated fly angler who looking an insight in worming for salmon in Ireland. For example, how many worms? Some angers swear by one lobworm only while others use a minimum of two and even three! Is there any rigging tips I need to know? For example, if using two big lobworms would you slide one right up and over the hook onto the line and the other one placed threaded onto the hook? Some gillies recommend one worm for grilse. Thanks in advance !

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
I am a dedicated fly angler who looking an insight in worming for salmon in Ireland. For example, how many worms? Some angers swear by one lobworm only while others use a minimum of two and even three! Is there any rigging tips I need to know? For example, if using two big lobworms would you slide one right up and over the hook onto the line and the other one placed threaded onto the hook? Some gillies recommend one worm for grilse. Thanks in advance !
Ive always been taught to hook them through the thick band about 1/3 down from the top leaving "lots ah heeds n tails" so it looks like an squid/octopus, personally i don't use big massive worms i prefer using 2-4 mid sized ones and i pull the hook completely out the worms but since there is lots of heeds n tails its covered in the centre of the ball of worms.

Fall prince

Reaction score
Ive always been taught to hook them through the thick band about 1/3 down from the top leaving "lots ah heeds n tails" so it looks like an squid/octopus, personally i don't use big massive worms i prefer using 2-4 mid sized ones and i pull the hook completely out the worms but since there is lots of heeds n tails its covered in the centre of the ball of worms.
Wow that’s interesting! Never for one second thought of that. So the hook is left more or less bare and the worms drape over it ? So the worms are hooked through just once?

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
Wow that’s interesting! Never for one second thought of that. So the hook is left more or less bare and the worms drape over it ? So the worms are hooked through just once?
Aye, can pass the hook through the bottom one twice to make it secure, or i know lads that keep an elastic tied to their jacket and just cut off a small bit and hook it so the worms cant slide down by it

mows

Reaction score
I like 3.
Biggest worm thread up the line.
Other 2 thread on the hook.
Works great.

But one worm seems to work as well.

Oscar

Reaction score
1 worm in low water, 2 worms in normal water and a while bunch in high water, that's what a friend once told me many years ago,
Is there many places left that allow worm?

Pretty much all fishing on the Isle of Man is worm fishing due to the (small) size and character of the rivers. Still allowed all season.

I think the East Lyn in Devon and Camel in Cornwall have a good number of wormers too.

Oscar.

Woodsy

Reaction score
I usually worm in big water with a bunch of 5, all threaded through the head, except the last one which is on the hook and the point is exposed.

I never use blackheads anymore, just a cocktail of shop bought lobs and dendras. The first on is a lob, then dendra, then lob and then 2 dendras as they are tougher and hold the hook better.

People do it all different ways though and all will work. This is the way I do it and it is deadly on the Moy.

In lower water I would usually use 1 lob at the top and 2 or 3 dendras below. If it gets this low on the Moy, you get tortured with perch and end up packing up after half an hour anyway :LOL:

Sunset_angler

Reaction score
Pretty much all fishing on the Isle of Man is worm fishing due to the (small) size and character of the rivers. Still allowed all season.

I think the East Lyn in Devon and Camel in Cornwall have a good number of wormers too.

Oscar.
I think the Ugie at peterhead, those wee rivers at stonehaven the nairn and the wick in caithness is a big worming river. The Alness used to allow it but I think it has been stopped for quite some time, although it would be intriguing to drop a lob or two in the wee holes and pots on a summer spate

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
I like 3.
Biggest worm thread up the line.
Other 2 thread on the hook.
Works great.

But one worm seems to work as well.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Key too is amount of weight and trot of the line. Worms should be kept on the move bouncing slightly slower than current. When the stop..wait.. incase it's a fish. If no pull then lightly lift and continue trot round. Fish all the way round into the bank. Like a fly, spinner, prawn salmon will follow worms before taking. Low water a single worm ledger can work though moving worm always out fishes a static one unless well below summer level in gin clear bright conditions when a moving work can disturb a shoal....however that's only usually encountered on small mountain spate streams.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
I like 1 big lob or 2 medium sized lobs or blackheads in a brown flood.. I don't really like dendras at all and think a big bunch of worms is waste most of the time.

Size 4 bait holder 3ft hook link to swivel with enough pinched shot on the lower link to trundle with the current...

rubberwellie

Reaction score
2 or 3 worms threaded up the line so they hang loose over the hook. When you tie your hook on leave a length of excess line around an inch long or a bit longer rather than snipping it close to the hook, this will prevent the worms sliding down over your hook.

Royser89

Reaction score
Four or five worms have it presented like a welch flag hook covered fully. I am sure you can strike hard enough the pierce a worm. In low water double worm as a man once said to me would you prefer a single or a double burger

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk