Worming controllers/bouncing betty’s

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
Bouncing betty's with plastic tubing are banned on many rivers in Norway - the tube fills up with water which might not have drained out when you go to fish your next river, thus possibly taking all sorts of contamination from one river to another. Something to think about? I have used nails as an alternative. Dirt cheap and long and thin which helps then avoid getting stuck between rocks.
Unless its the type were the lead isnt removable this just wouldnt happen, the ones you can switch leads with you always take the lead out the tube when packing away or else it becomes loose

Fall prince

Reaction score
Use a 3-way swivel with a short length of nylon from the swivel eye which projects out at 90 degrees from the main line. Then just tie the nylon under the head of the nail, using some form of slip knot. Test the slip knot though - you may need to wrap the slip knot loop twice round the nail before tightening to stop it from unravelling. Bigger nails = heavier weight. Also probably more environmentally friendly than leaving lead weights on the bottom of a river.
Mind blowing in simplicity and prob a game changer! Thank you

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
I hope I dont sound pedantic saying this, I really dont mean to if I come across that way but bouncing Betty's technically speaking are rubber balls slightly denser than water with varying internal weights that have a swivel attached which bounce along the river bed in a tapping motion. Controllers made of an air filled tubing with weight in one end and glued in swivel in other are known as pencil leads, walking sticks or worm controllers not bouncing Betty's. Just wanted to clarify for info. After reading the thread I'd never considered some filling up with water from one river spreading parasites or bacteria from another. Food for thought, thanks for sharing..

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
I hope I dont sound pedantic saying this, I really dont mean to if I come across that way but bouncing Betty's technically speaking are rubber balls slightly denser than water with varying internal weights that have a swivel attached which bounce along the river bed in a tapping motion. Controllers made of an air filled tubing with weight in one end and glued in swivel in other are known as pencil leads, walking sticks or worm controllers not bouncing Betty's. Just wanted to clarify for info. After reading the thread I'd never considered some filling up with water from one river spreading parasites or bacteria from another. Food for thought, thanks for sharing..
They aget called different names over the UK, most people would know the silicon tube with lead stuck in it as a boucing betty but others call them jumping jacks, ive also seen those round rubber balls being called bouncing bettys but ive never seen anyone fish them up here in scotland

Wee Porters

Reaction score
Bait controllers is the name given to them local to me, as for filling up with water that shouldn't be
an issue, as has been pointed out already once the weight is taken out any water inside would drain out.

Balder

Reaction score
The only bait controllers with plastic tubing I have seen in Norway are ones where the weight is permanently fastened hence the issue with carrying water from one river to another.

Wee Porters

Reaction score
The only bait controllers with plastic tubing I have seen in Norway are ones where the weight is permanently fastened hence the issue with carrying water from one river to another.

Every bait controller I've ever worked with was sealed at the top of the tube with epoxy or silicon and the weightfitted at the bottom also sealed that end. The idea being to have air in the tube helpng it stand upright. :unsure:

SILVER-SALMON

Reaction score
I think you may have seen the one I just got made to order, it looks top notch, not had a chance to make any from it yet.
Not cheap at £90 but that wont take any leads to pay itself off and it saves me having a whole stack of wooden mounds I made myself, I asked him to make it with 10 leads 2x15, 2x20, 2x25, 2x35, 2x45

View attachment 48133

View attachment 48134
Looking for mould myself do u have contact details
That mould looks superb

cheers
Davie