Worming controllers/bouncing betty’s

Rennie

Reaction score
It's not that hard to make your own.Quite a lot of shop bought ones come from the home cottage industry any way, sourcing/ making a mould is the hardest bit, and if you've any churches near you, your sorted for the lead, the plastic tubeing is available by the mile if you look in the right place ( Home Brewery supply shops) and rawl plugs n glue for the line end.
Doing it DIY stylee ensures you can get them exactly how you want them!, which might be worth a fish or two.
Do it between yourself and a pal and flog 'em!.
Bit of imagination and you could adapt the moulds from ball or pear weights to get what you want.
Pedro.

glenelg100

Reaction score
I seen some home made ones in which looked very good, clear tubing, swivel secured with small metal pin and silicone, and a threaded rod at the weighted end in which you could add a nut or two to increase the weight or remove to lessen the weight. The threaded rod also had some silicone to secure and keep it water tight

glenelg100

Reaction score
Also if you only needed a tiny bit more weight he added a metal washer or two, so basically he had a pocket full of various units with different lengths of threaded rod attached, and nuts and washers to get the right weights

Rrrr

Reaction score
Guy on ebay sells them pretty cheap. You get about 5 tubes and a load of diffrent weights to push into the ends. It means you can change weight on the fly as the flow rate changes down the pool.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
It's not that hard to make your own.Quite a lot of shop bought ones come from the home cottage industry any way, sourcing/ making a mould is the hardest bit, and if you've any churches near you, your sorted for the lead, the plastic tubeing is available by the mile if you look in the right place ( Home Brewery supply shops) and rawl plugs n glue for the line end.
Doing it DIY stylee ensures you can get them exactly how you want them!, which might be worth a fish or two.
Do it between yourself and a pal and flog 'em!.
Bit of imagination and you could adapt the moulds from ball or pear weights to get what you want.
Pedro.
You can get the moulds on ebay but they are 90 quid. It would be alot cheaper to measure up and get someone to make one i rekon.

Rennie

Reaction score
If it helps any with a line of thought for home production.
Before the introduction of the Ballerina/betty type weights, I used plain old lead balls slid onto a paper clip which was attached to a length of 10lb dacron backing and thus to a double swivel and rubbing link of 30lb mono in a paternoster fashion.The paper clip could be opened up and the ball weight changed as you go, the dacron was very abrasion resistant and would stand up to constant casting but would break before the running line in case of snagging.Most of the time the paper clip would open out and let the whole lot free, but loosing only the lead ball.
As ever there's a considerable safety aspect to all this, I'd change the paper clip every time out and regularly check throughout the day the condition of the dacron link.
If you and the lead ball part company whilst casting, it could be a dangerous scenario!
Pedro.

jonnieb

Reaction score
On the subject of making a mould not once have anyone said do it the old fashion way with clay baked in the oven ... still works for me ?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Instead of a mould etc, ive seen them made with wide plastic straws and split shot. Melt one end closed, fill with shot to suit and put a pinhole through both sides of the open end to connect a snap swivel. Then it can be adjusted by adding or taking out shot. If they get snagged, the snap swivel just rips through the straw and comes loose.
Not sure about leaving plastic in the river when snagged but this will happen with any lost controller or rapala etc.

Also as a kid i used 1 swivel wrapped in plastercine or blutack to adjust it. Sometimes it came off easily though.

Speytime

Reaction score
I removed the weight in exchange for plasticine it's easy to use add or remove weight as you go and 4oz for a £1, sometimes with snaggy water it'll pull free and you only loose the plasticine.

Al

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
You can get the moulds on ebay but they are 90 quid. It would be alot cheaper to measure up and get someone to make one i rekon.

I think you may have seen the one I just got made to order, it looks top notch, not had a chance to make any from it yet.
Not cheap at £90 but that wont take any leads to pay itself off and it saves me having a whole stack of wooden mounds I made myself, I asked him to make it with 10 leads 2x15, 2x20, 2x25, 2x35, 2x45

20200728_124846.jpg

20200728_124908.jpg

Last edited:

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
Here is ones Ive made before from wood.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I think you may have seen the one I just got made to order, it looks top notch, not had a chance to make any from it yet.
Not cheap at £90 but that wont take any leads to pay itself off and it saves me having a whole stack of wooden mounds I made myself, I asked him to make it with 10 leads 2x15, 2x20, 2x25, 2x35, 2x45

View attachment 48133

View attachment 48134
Yea, i can see why it costs what it does. It wont take many batches sold to other anglers to cover costs.

Fall prince

Reaction score
Just seen this thread. I’ve been fortunate enough to fish in Alaska last 15 years and the guides showed me a cool device used for trotting worms near the bottom. They are smaller shaped lead weights but it was the way they are rigged which was deadly. They are ridiculously cheap and so easy to use. https://davestanglefree.com/

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
Just seen this thread. I’ve been fortunate enough to fish in Alaska last 15 years and the guides showed me a cool device used for trotting worms near the bottom. They are smaller shaped lead weights but it was the way they are rigged which was deadly. They are ridiculously cheap and so easy to use. https://davestanglefree.com/
Looks like the eye of the lead pulls free if it gets snagged? nifty idea but would soon get expensive, leads get stuck very often when worming and take a decent tug to free from the rocks.

Fall prince

Reaction score
Looks like the eye of the lead pulls free if it gets snagged? nifty idea but would soon get expensive, leads get stuck very often when worming and take a decent tug to free from the rocks.
I buy packs with 25 weights in them for $20. They actually use them for float fishing as well. I’ve used them on the moy and the circular shape and low profile, in my humble opinion, alleviates a lot if snags. The bouncing Betty is a much larger profile and abit clunky. I fish the main leader below the swivel 2-3 pounds less breaking strain just in case.

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
Yea, i can see why it costs what it does. It wont take many batches sold to other anglers to cover costs.

I ended up having another mould made this winter as i tend to find myself fishing with pencil leads more than bouncing bettys these days in bigger water, the size of bouncing bettys just catches the current too much imo.
This one has 10 leads too 2x30/40/50/60/70

0uyFieZ.jpg

Balder

Reaction score
Bouncing betty's with plastic tubing are banned on many rivers in Norway - the tube fills up with water which might not have drained out when you go to fish your next river, thus possibly taking all sorts of contamination from one river to another. Something to think about? I have used nails as an alternative. Dirt cheap and long and thin which helps then avoid getting stuck between rocks.

Fall prince

Reaction score
Bouncing betty's with plastic tubing are banned on many rivers in Norway - the tube fills up with water which might not have drained out when you go to fish your next river, thus possibly taking all sorts of contamination from one river to another. Something to think about? I have used nails as an alternative. Dirt cheap and long and thin which helps then avoid getting stuck between rocks.
Wow ! That’s amazing! Great insight

gcp1987

Reaction score
Had never considered this- thanks!
Have got some of the ebay ones shown in the posts above and they are pretty functional.

Balder

Reaction score
Use a 3-way swivel with a short length of nylon from the swivel eye which projects out at 90 degrees from the main line. Then just tie the nylon under the head of the nail, using some form of slip knot. Test the slip knot though - you may need to wrap the slip knot loop twice round the nail before tightening to stop it from unravelling. Bigger nails = heavier weight. Also probably more environmentally friendly than leaving lead weights on the bottom of a river.