Winged comet variant

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Tied this recently after tying a normal comet tube.

Tied as follows:

Tag and ribs: Small oval gold
Rear hackle: Yellow hen
Rear wing/tail: Yellow bucktail the length of the hook
Rear body: red floss
Mid hackle: slightly longer red hen
Mid wing: red bucktail
Front body: black floss
Front wing: black bucktail
Hackle: long black hen
Eyes: jungle cock

View attachment 42368

If you want to create an exact copy of the above you will need decent quality yellow bucktail, the worst possible quality red bucktail that you ever had the misfortune to find and decent black again to finish! :doh: :lol:
Stunning fly JS!

Bothy Cat

Reaction score
Comet

All top quality tyings, like peas in a pod, the standards continue to rise. Additionally, the photographs are of a high standard too, any tips on how to take a good quality photo with a compact camera (Panasonic Lumix) would be welcomed.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
All top quality tyings, like peas in a pod, the standards continue to rise. Additionally, the photographs are of a high standard too, any tips on how to take a good quality photo with a compact camera (Panasonic Lumix) would be welcomed.
I think it was GK who mentioned buying a small light box from amazon. I went for a cheaper version that cost £6.99 on ebay. It came from China so took almost 3 weeks to arrive.

This is where I have it on my fly tying bench. My swap fly is there from the weekend.

IMG_20200218_131655.jpg

I have the black backdrop in there at the minute but the comet pictures were taken against a white background. It comes with other colours too.

I've taken the photos above on my mobile phone. I set the phone on its edge on the bench to keep it as steady as possible, put the magnification on the phone to 2x and take the photo.

IMG_20200218_131737.jpg

Last edited:

ibm59

Reaction score
I bought a cheapie light box too , Richard.

Taken with my phone.

5966CC59-FA3D-4811-A25A-DEC57F449634.jpeg

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I bought a cheapie light box too , Richard.

Taken with my phone.

View attachment 42598
I really struggled with this phone to get a decent close up photo. It really needs good light. The LED strip light is great and the different coloured sheets supplied are good too. I haven't used my green one yet. :)

I would prefer the content of your photo to mine Brian! :cool:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I really struggled with this phone to get a decent close up photo. It really needs good light. The LED strip light is great and the different coloured sheets supplied are good too. I haven't used my green one yet. :)

I would prefer the content of your photo to mine Brian! :cool:
You tie a braw fly 👍🏻 but I'd prefer the contents also :nod: just a bigger bottle :thumb:

ibm59

Reaction score
Haven’t quite got the hang of this light box yet , but this IS just about the darkest dram I’ve ever poured.
Recent release of Kilkerran 8yo.

B34C6978-D6D3-49E6-BAB1-26C450393CEA.jpeg

gwelsher

Reaction score
I went for a cheaper version that cost £6.99 on ebay.
I have the black backdrop in there at the minute but the comet pictures were taken against a white background. It comes with other colours too.
You have the backdrop in upside down. The holes should fit on 2 little tabs at the top of the back to stop it sliding down :tongue:
That bucktail looks a bit scruffy or is that your biscuit crumbs on it :lol:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
You have the backdrop in upside down. The holes should fit on 2 little tabs at the top of the back to stop it sliding down :tongue:
Ahh, but... BUT.... The black backdrop is just sitting on top of the white one. As the ones I'll use most often I can just lift the black out and use the white underneath. ;)

The bucktail might straighten in the water! :lol:

ibm59

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the holes , Gary
Couldn’t figure them out.

Instructions would appear to have been written by whatever................;)