Winged comet variant

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Tied this recently after tying a normal comet tube.

Tied as follows:

Tag and ribs: Small oval gold
Rear hackle: Yellow hen
Rear wing/tail: Yellow bucktail the length of the hook
Rear body: red floss
Mid hackle: slightly longer red hen
Mid wing: red bucktail
Front body: black floss
Front wing: black bucktail
Hackle: long black hen
Eyes: jungle cock

IMG_20200210_213924.jpg

If you want to create an exact copy of the above you will need decent quality yellow bucktail, the worst possible quality red bucktail that you ever had the misfortune to find and decent black again to finish! :doh: :lol:

Last edited:

salmo1978

Reaction score
Very nice! I gave a friend something very similar to this on Cairnton Deeside last year & had success on it. This will work I'm sure of it

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

wormo

Reaction score
like that alot , my mate fishes a similar comally shrimp on the river allan and does well
defo one to copy 👍

mc andy

Reaction score
You and many more on the forum seem to have got the bug for the coming season! It's not quite hit me yet, had the vice out tonight for the first time for totm. sure it will though :D. Cracker jockie :thumb:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
You and many more on the forum seem to have got the bug for the coming season! It's not quite hit me yet, had the vice out tonight for the first time for totm. sure it will though :D. Cracker jockie :thumb:
I'm on a bit of a 'high' at the moment. In saying that, I could just lose the bug again as quick as anything and not tie for a month or two. I'm enjoying the wee run again at the minute and I'm sure your bug will find it's feet again soon. :)

Thanks for the positive feedback folks. I had great success on a comet variant a good few years ago. It was one of the first tubes I ever tied and it was on a red straw that comes on a tin of WD40. :lol:

I've had a bit of luck on others of the same colours over the years.

Greatwhite

Reaction score
Great looking wee fly looks like a killer for grilse nice one 👌have been off the forum for awhile nice to catch up on the fly tying

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Pretty fly nicely tied. Chop off the jungle cock eyes and I'd use it :lol:
The first one of these I tried, I used yellow squirrel for the tail to make it more of a tail rather than a wing. The tail looked a bit 'clumpy' when I wetted the wing to try to straighten the awful red bucktail a bit. I left the JC off it too tin an attempt to keep it closer to the original.

IMG_20200211_101209.jpg

Here are the two together along with a more traditional comet tube

IMG_20200211_101127.jpg

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I wish you'd hurry up and loose the bug it would give me a slight chance to catch up a wee bit :lol: quality as always jockiescott and another added to the list :nod:

wormo

Reaction score
hope u dont mind , copies of yours , really like them

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

iainmortimer

Reaction score
They're all very nice (as usual!) but I prefer the final version with the JC. It just looks right and seeing them together, the bucktail tail definitely improves it.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
hope u dont mind , copies of yours , really like them

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Mind??? Not one bit do I mind!!! :D

Those look like shorter shanked hooks than I used but really suit the pattern well. I'll have to try a couple on magnis or ospreys.

Thanks for sharing your tying! :thumb:

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
That's a fish catching machine Jockie, I'll have to copy that too when I get on dry land.
There won't be enough hours in the day as like Lamson, the "to-do" list for the vice is getting longer and longer !
Nice work

Fergal1975

Reaction score
Here’s my attempt. I used bucktail for the tail but the red and the black wings are fox

01B021B4-9C22-4661-BFBA-A435A60B7D59.jpeg

Last edited:

gwelsher

Reaction score
See what you started we are all at it. I used cock instead of hen for the hackles and tapered them back to front. Also Fox for the final wing and no JC.

Comet FT.jpg

You're on a roll at the moment mate keep the flies coming.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
See what you started we are all at it. I used cock instead of hen for the hackles and tapered them back to front. Also Fox for the final wing and no JC.

View attachment 42406

You're on a roll at the moment mate keep the flies coming.
Making hay while the sun shines Gary as, no doubt, the bug will be lost again at some stage! :lol:

That's nice too Gary with the hackles getting shorter going forward. I'm thinking of doing a fox wing version too as I like a nice dark overwing that fox seems to do better.

It is great to see other people's take on the fly. When I first joined to forum in 2009, that was the way things were done. Someone posted a fly and others came back with their attempts, tweeks and adaptations. It was a great atmosphere. Great to see some of that coming back again.

Keep them coming folks! :thumb:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I said earlier in the thread that the comet was one of the first tubes I tied.

It was tied on a straw from a can of WD40. It was tied using hackles instead of bucktail and I managed 7 fish in a single week on it.

Here is a copy of that fly, in the middle, with another couple of variations. I showed these on the forum on 2013 but I've seen that the pictures are no longer available.

FB_IMG_1581947103882.jpg

Last edited:

Fergal1975

Reaction score
I might try a tube version tonight. Hopefully it doesn't catch fire this time although... comet... burning up on re-entry...