Will there be as many farmed salmon this year?

James McKenna

Reaction score
Might be a silly question, but will there be as many farmed salmon going up the rivers this year to last? I ended up with one off the Annan last year and was just wondering what people think, will there be much less as long as no more nets break (I hope) or will there still be some hanging about?

Maggy

Reaction score
Might be a silly question, but will there be as many farmed salmon going up the rivers this year to last? I ended up with one off the Annan last year and was just wondering what people think, will there be much less as long as no more nets break (I hope) or will there still be some hanging about?
It’s not a silly question but the answer is rather like “ how long is a bit of string “ . OK, it might be silly after all. Maybe the results of the study below will answer your question.

It’s interesting that last year‘s big escape suggests fish came south. I don’t know the west-coast currents but it may with the current on that coast. I read the other day that the SATCT were very upset with negative comments about the MOWI deal with FMS to finance an INTROGRESSION study following the escape.

An anonymous respondent ( called LAKSELVE ) * said to be the name of a well-known Norwegian salmon river ), claimed it was just a Scot’s Govt stall. MOWI is apparently just a name change for Marine Harvest Aquaculture. MOWI salmon are aquaculture stocks with Namsen River qualities so they might be welcome in the Solway, being a long-generation stock.

* “ salmon river “ is the translation.

Last edited:

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
I doubt they would have over wintered that well. Those that tried running the rivers I hope all died and those that did not, probably went into seals or starved. I just hope their wilder cousins were spared a little as the farmed fish were easier to catch.