Wifes first salmon fly....

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Sooooo...

I sat down to tie a pattern I have in mind for the TOTM....then in hops Mrs Clydebuilt who started asking questions and then wanted to give it a bash too.

IMAG8127_1_1.jpg

She's only tied one trout fly about three years ago so it took quite some time...however...here is the end result.

IMAG8133.jpg

I am actually very impressed.

I did help with holding the material for the tail, sorting out the bobbin when the thread snapped and assisted with the whip finish tool but apart from that, not a bad effort at all

And we didn't fall outπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Well given that standard I think you should concentrate on fishing and let Mrs CB stock your fly box with those very fishable morsels of delight. Just be careful though, you know the history of women salmon anglers and so you could end up being outdone on the vice and the river if you're not careful!

PS. I love the classic floats too. Did you make them as well?

SnapT14

Reaction score
Sooooo...

I sat down to tie a pattern I have in mind for the TOTM....then in hops Mrs Clydebuilt who started asking questions and then wanted to give it a bash too.

View attachment 62038

She's only tied one trout fly about three years ago so it took quite some time...however...here is the end result.

View attachment 62039

I did help with holding the material for the tail, sorting out the bobbin when the thread snapped and assisted with the whip finish tool but apart from that, not a bad effort at all

Bloody heck......

Decent fly that.....😲

Loving your pink medallion CB..... I nearly did.....then chickened out in buying one...😁

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Bloody heck......

Decent fly that.....😲

Loving your pink medallion CB..... I nearly did.....then chickened out in buying one...😁
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ cheers Snap,
Aye, I was all for the black medallion model, but at the time I was looking for a replacement vice the UV model was on special so thought why notπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Lamson v10

Reaction score
When is she starting to take orders πŸ™‚ You can tell Mrs CB from me that that's one very nicely tyed fly for a first attempt πŸ˜³πŸ‘Œ I'd very happily tie that on the end of my line 🎣.

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
When is she starting to take orders πŸ™‚ You can tell Mrs CB from me that that's one very nicely tyed fly for a first attempt πŸ˜³πŸ‘Œ I'd very happily tie that on the end of my line 🎣.

Thanks AπŸ‘πŸ‘
You'll have to wait until she's filled a few boxes for me πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Kype King

Reaction score
Well given that standard I think you should concentrate on fishing and let Mrs CB stock your fly box with those very fishable morsels of delight. Just be careful though, you know the history of women salmon anglers and so you could end up being outdone on the vice and the river if you're not careful!

PS. I love the classic floats too. Did you make them as well?
🀣

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Sooooo...

View attachment 62038

View attachment 62039

Ha ha!

One go a few years ago and she’s just nailed it (with some help)!! We’re doomed I telt ye! Doomed!

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really don't know how to take this or exactly what to say ........... I have long known and said in posts that you are all better fly tiers than I but now you are showing me that your wives are too !

Drat

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
I really don't know how to take this or exactly what to say ........... I have long known and said in posts that you are all better fly tiers than I but now you are showing me that your wives are too !

Drat

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I've been tying since I was about 7 Ard, and I've never made it look easy... Mrs CB sits down and with a little bit of help rattles that out.... It's not fairπŸ˜…

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hear you and commiserate fully, I'm not quite your age I don't think but close and have been trying to tie flies for about 52 or 53 years. If I'm willing to put time into an effort and then make at least three of the same thing I can turn out a decent fly. When I say decent I mean one that a novice will look at and say 'Wow' but I see all sort of nastiness on that hook or tube. To do what I describe takes hours of my time and I've seen people tying for a month that make me look really bad.......... I do make my fishing flies sharp though and if I lose one I give a regular sermon during which I put forth every profanity known to man :)

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Sooooo...

View attachment 62038

View attachment 62039

Ideally she now needs to be indoctrinated into tying for you whilst you’re on the river.

Andrzej

Reaction score
Sooooo...

View attachment 62038

View attachment 62039

That's very impressive tying (y) Good proportions, light dressing and tidy small head, that's is not easy to achieve. Really good work!

Andrzej

Reaction score
Thanks gents,
She'll soon be put to work, don't worry πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I told her a LAW vice would make it much easier for her...

Yes Iain, I make floats with my youngest son, something we both enjoy doing during the winterπŸ‘

View attachment 62043

View attachment 62044
Very nice floats (y) I like float fishing, unfortunately here where I live there is no place to do so. But usually spend some time fishing this way on holidays. What fish are you after with these?

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Thank AndrzejπŸ‘
These were made for grayling and trout mostly.
The larger ones for the estuary when my youngest has a go for the seatrout too.
It's good fun making them together
Cheers