Why Do You Fish?

Rennie

Reaction score
Suppose some one has to instigate this and as its more or less game over on the fishing front this year for most of us, there's enough time to think about it.It's an issue that has been skirted around in quite a few threads and various replies.
It's not about any moral high ground, who's the better or perceives themselves to be the better person/angler, or even how your preferred method is fished.It's pure and simple why you fish(well lets just say for Salmon and/or Sea Trout in this instance).
The reply can be a simple one liner, or as detailed as you wish, as we're all in it for our own reasons be as complicated and lengthy or simplified and short as you want.
I'll leave some one else to start the ball rolling this time, my piece will be typed out along the way.
It's all purely for interest and probably more so for every one to have their say and own take on things.
Cheers me dears,Pedro.

woodcockandsewin

Reaction score
It's my escape...frequently leave the phone in the car...use 2 ways in Norway to avoid the phone.

Nothing shuts my mind off from all other issues like casting a fly and dreaming.

On top of that, the places I've been and the friends I've made make me realise what a wonderful pastime it is, and it gets better every year.

Rrrr

Reaction score
My answers pretty simple. I fish because i enjoy it and the day it stops being fun is the day i will stop.
Its not as much the catching with me but the whole experience, from buying and sorting gear before heading out, watching the sun come up on the way to the river, being out on the river and just enjoying the surroundings, the fishing itself wether it be with the fly rod or spinning, then being knackerd and sleeping like a baby after putting a days graft in on the river.
I find my stress levels are way down while fishing and after fishing as its a good way to switch off from the working week.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mows

Reaction score
It started when my dad took me fishing when small, in a local burn and we caught nothing.
Went back next day and caught 10 small trout.
That was me hooked.
From then on I spent all my free time up glen esk fishing for trout in the burns and Loch Lee.
Caught my first salmon at about 12 where the loch enters the river.
I didn't know you could get fish that big!

From about 14, I would sell all the trout I caught to the local pub and all the salmon to Joseph Johnsons.
Not only did I love fishing, but it gave me more money than I got pocket money wise.

Since a kid ive always went fishing with my best friend from school and still do.
I always like going to fishing meets to meet new fishers and watch how they fish.
But more than anything, ive always liked the escape of fishing on my own.
To this day, fishing on my own is my time to reflect and be at one with the world.

Much as I seem quite gregarious, Jockiescots earlier post on introverts rung true for me.

Ive went from an out and out wormer, to spinner, and in the last couple of years, mediocre fly fisher.

Havent wormed for a few years.
Though every year promise I will next year.

Once upon a time it was all about the fish.

How much I could catch!

How big they were!

Much as I love fishing, somehow ive never enjoyed stockie rainbow fishing.
Ive had a day on Menteith with a few blues about 4ld that really fought, but not enough to convince me to return.

Wild fishing is what I like most.

Nowadays, the fish is a bonus during my time on the river.

I get as much if not more pleasure helping someone else catch a fish.

I still keep the odd fish to eat. Treating them purely as a plaything still feels disrespectful to me.
However I let most go nowadays.
I think the tug is far more the drug now, as I don't mind if I loose one just before it come to the bank.

Cheers

Mows

T7

Reaction score
Putting a fly across fishy looking water in nice surroundings is enough for me these days. Catching anything is a pleasant surprise

MCXFisher

Reaction score
As a little boy I was hooked by the thrill of the take, the excitement of the fight and the sense of achievement of landing the fish (and no doubt also the warm glow of my father's esteem). Those stimuli are still there, but as the years have passed, so the value I place on the company of my family and good friends; the beauty of the surroundings; the mental peace from the clamours of the everyday; and the reverie of the rhythm of fishing have all grown apace. Time has given me a greater capacity for reflection and contemplation, but I hope that I never lose the excitement and the enthusiasm that have given me so much joy over the past 65 years.

budge

Reaction score
Can't say I've ever worked out the reasons why I go ? I've been at it for as long as I can remember, 50 +years. There are lots of things i can still vividly remember from when i was 5 or 6 years old. Standing in my wellies in the Hodder watching my dad fly fishing. Trips to the lake district with my uncle coarse fishing or catching flatties at Arnside. Fishing for stunted crucians in the local ponds. Every bit of my spending money and every birthday present went on fishing gear. Summer holidays always involved some form of fishing with my dad, rock fishing in Cornwall, coarse fishing in Ireland, fly fishing up Scotland or Wales. I've had the odd break, when I discovered beer and girls, and when the kids were young, but I've always returned. Ive been lucky to have a very understandig wife who has encouraged me in all my hobbies.I spent 30 fairly successful years involved in team match fishing, travelling all over the country fishing Festivals and Nationals, but still did some game fishing when I could.
I had a bit of a eureka moment a couple of years ago when i realised how much i missed being out on the river fly fishing. I decided then i was going to give it a whirl for a year to see if it still floated my boat.
So here I am now ! Virtually given up match fishing and totally obsessed with salmon. I still don't know why

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
Originally it was the strong hunter gatherer instinct, Bringing home trout/sea trout/salmon/rabbit/pheasant etc. for the family and friends. That instinct has waned and I rarely shoot these days but still enjoy my salmon fishing. Now it is more about the quality of my companions/surroundings/whisky/food/accommodation. I still get the same thrill when I hook a salmon however even though I know it will be going back.

Oscar

Reaction score
Good question!

I think like metal detecting (not something I do, but something I think would be similar to fishing in may ways, and something I'd love to do) it is the thrill of the not knowing and the expectation. Added to which, the real possibility that something incredible could genuinely be just a moment away.

The scenery and the craic of a Scottish fishing holiday I think is also a huge part of it now - as is the sharing of moments and evenings with truly good friends. Landing a fish is great, but having a friend there to land the fish with you, and share that moment, is unbeatable.

Oscar.

firefly

Reaction score
Suppose some one has to instigate this and as its more or less game over on the fishing front this year for most of us, there's enough time to think about it.It's an issue that has been skirted around in quite a few threads and various replies.
It's not about any moral high ground, who's the better or perceives themselves to be the better person/angler, or even how your preferred method is fished.It's pure and simple why you fish(well lets just say for Salmon and/or Sea Trout in this instance).
The reply can be a simple one liner, or as detailed as you wish, as we're all in it for our own reasons be as complicated and lengthy or simplified and short as you want.
I'll leave some one else to start the ball rolling this time, my piece will be typed out along the way.
It's all purely for interest and probably more so for every one to have their say and own take on things.
Cheers me dears,Pedro.
It must be telepathy, Pedro, lately I was wondering about starting the same thread with the whole winter to ponder over. I'll start a sister thread on the spark of our urge, your question being one in the present time and why you do it at this given point in your life. It might be interesting to see how reasons for fishing can change during the course of a lifetime.

Throughout my life, I must say the underlying driver was keeping in touch with my instincts, honing my skills, not only physically but also mentally to remain in direct contact with my prey. Not surprisingly and contrary to what many people seek and find in fishing this meant embracing solitude, something I learned to enjoy to arrive at the state of mind I was looking for in my fishing. "The zone" as it is called in dark circles of our ancient art. It exists, if you know how to look for it and are willing to make the effort you'll feel when you're in it. Some are born with it, me, it took me a lifetime. :batty:

Last edited:

bassfly

Reaction score
As young boy I lived close to the Bridgewater canal and used a hand line to catch mainly perch. My first rod was a home built tank aerial from the Army and Navy Store and I made floats out of plastic straws sealed at the top and piece of brass rod glued into the bottom and cut to load the float. Worms were the bait and my catch improved until one day I hooked and then landed a Mirrow Carp of about 20lb.
That was it I was hooked.
My first venture into fly fishing was a lot later in life at about the age of 40 and mainly on still waters. My first fly rod was a David Norwich 10ft 7# and then a Hardy Ultralight Plus of the same length and weighting.
My local fly shop owner had started to go to Canada and my first trip for salmon was 18 years ago and that gave me the reasons to make this a very enjoyable pastime.
As has been mentioned in earlier posts my main enjoyments now are the friendships that I have made both here and abroad. Doctors, Scientists, Ladies Hairdresser, Industrial Chemists, Engineers, Quantity Surveyers, Farmers etc etc. The one leveling factor is fishing and being in some of the most beautiful places.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Mepps4me

Reaction score
There are three reasons why I fish, each one as important as the other.
1. I love being outdoors. My other interests are mountain walking and gardening.
2. I enjoy the stalking / hunting side of my fishing and much prefer to fish relatively small overgrown rivers.
3. Fresh sea trout are delicious to eat and I like to take home a few sea trout between 2lbs and 3lbs for eating.

Mattytree

Reaction score
according to my ex it was because I’m a compulsive obsessive ******* ... for me I just like completely forgetting every thing else in the world and concentrating on that one thing and being in that zone .... I find fish amazing creatures I can spend hours watching aquariums or wild fish feeding , as kids we used to spend hours watching the carp , pike and Rudd on the farm pond on hot days but from dry fly fishing in clear water and targeting fish or even fishing bread off the top for wild carp nothing beats hooking a salmon , I think it’s just one of those fish I’ve dreamt of since I was a kid and Feel really lucky I can do that now especially on the fly , it just the optimum of fishing or feels it to me anyway.

westie4566

Reaction score
Peace, tranquility, my affinity for water and the creatures who swim there. Then the thrill of tempting those creatures to take my offering - it never get's old.

I love to fish my myself, yet at the same time I enjoy the company of good friends by the river. This group has been pared down over the years to a bunch of the best guys out there. Some I met by the river many, many years ago and some others I'd never have met were it not for the SFF!

If I'm not fishing with one of the above group, then the river is definitely just my quiet place where I can lose myself in all that mother nature does.

billy fish

Reaction score
“I still don’t know why I fish or why other men fish , except that we like it and it makes us think and feel “ .
Roderick Haig- Brown wrote this in “ A River Never Sleeps” .
Sums it up for me.
Colin.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
For me ,its all about the thrill of the hunt, working out the many variables presented by my chosen quarry, whether they be salmon, barbel, tench etc, etc. I like to work it out myself, taking and giving pointers, but mostly trying my own ideas, fly tying is a great extension to this, not for me the "usual patterns", there,s nothing quite like getting consistant offers on your own creations, especially those viewed with a degree of contempt by the "Knowing in-crowd".
peter

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I really know. I could wax poetic over my thoughts and processes but by the time I was done writing I may have second thoughts...….

It's my own little world and I am the king in that world.

That's close as I can get in brief.

Ard :)

Westcountry

Reaction score
Because I am a hunter.
OK it is highly stylised and modified form of hunting and I hardly ever kill anything now but that is what it is at the nub of it. It is all about outwitting a wild animal using my skill, experience and luck!

There is lots of other stuff too, the scenery and wildlife and the people we meet along the way, but deep down it is the feeling of satisfaction I get when a well placed fly, spinner or worm gets a take.

Andy

Rennie

Reaction score
I'll chuck in my 3d worth now then.
I've always fished, as most starting at the local pond, I just progressed through the sport coarse fishing mainly and predominately match and team fishing as soon as I had money to spend.Trout fishing came along in the closed seasons and with my mother being a Scot. the big tumbling rivers of Scotland always held that big silver mystery of Salmon.
I wandered the Salmon wilderness for years in between my Match fishing and a love of Summer Barbel, every year trying my luck on Scottish holidays.
Trout fishing eventually faded, I could no longer see attraction in stockie Rainbows that were prevalent at the time, like catching fish in a goldfish bowl, and there was never a mystery to it all.
Once the Salmon began to grace my rod, all else began to fade, the new generation of commercial fisheries really were/are a muddy goldfish bowl, totally false, the win at all costs of some teams and individuals tarnished match fishing for me, but the pull of the Salmon got ever stronger and harder to resist.
I made a decision some time ago it was just Salmon from now on.I fish a lot less than I ever did, but more strongly now, with more conviction simply because I want to, not have to out of duty or a date on a calendar for a big match.
My friends come from country wide, it's an event and a joy to share their company.
However I fish to catch fish,I love the being there(where ever that is!) at any time of day,I enjoy the solitude, peace and quiet of nothing but nature and a river talking to me.I love waking with the river of a morning, slowly being with nature as the night shift retires and the day shift lifts from slumber.I like to take fish purely on mine own efforts, on a self tied flee, I like to work it all out, the where's when's how's n why's.I like to step into a pool and cast and fish as well as I can(thats a great source of pleasure to me),thinking I've left no impact on the water with my passing through it.If a fish dosen't grace me with its presence, well such is life, as long as I've tried my best and done a good job of it all, then I'm happy-maybe slightly sad- and there's always another day when I'll have learn't a bit more and be better prepared.
But mainly it's the TUG!, when that comes, for a brief moment I'm king of the world, and if Salar makes it all the way to my hand, it's nice to take a fish for the pot I'll agree and I do like to take one, but it's no deal to return fish at all.I'll try to not net or handle them, get the hook out quickly and quietly as poss. not even a photo most of the time(certainly when alone!) get them back into their domain quick as.
Suppose really it's the experience as a whole, not a sole part of it all.I love to share a fish with friends on the bank or recall it all by phone and just as much love to share in their fish too.
It's a special enough event these days, not an easy achievement and certainly to take a fish when the conditions are against you is I find a great occasion for me, more so than an easy fish when really you should catch them.
Every fish is treasured at capture and there after, might be a long time to the next, or even a few minutes!(fat chance these days!) and you never know.Just as surely, you never know whats there or what your next fish may be, nothings certain at all.
And when it's all come together, the stars aligned, Salar graces your hand and the fishing gods smile on you, nowt and I mean nowt is better than a moment or two afterwards with a stale cheese banjo and a flask top of stewed tea to reflect in whats just happened and how your life has just been enriched that little bit more.Enjoy it all!, coz as soon as the banjo and tea are gone, it's game on for another!.
Tight lines every one, great reading so far!
Pedro.

Mabb

Reaction score
To spend as much time with my elderly father doing something together we both have a passion for, it helps having our own stretch of river which we’ve been fishing over 40 years. You could say it’s my happy place...of course when the fish is hooked that’s the bonus. 🎣

Last edited:

budge

Reaction score
To spend as much time with my elderly father doing something together we both have a passion for, it helps having our own stretch of river which we’ve been fishing over 40 years. You could say it’s my happy place...of course when the fish is hooked that’s the bonus.
Now that's the best reason I've heard ! Magic mate I envy you

Mabb

Reaction score
Now that's the best reason I've heard ! Magic mate I envy you

Thanks mate, every second I spend with him is precious. We’ve been inseparable since I was old enough to walk, he’s almost 80 now and even after a few years of illness he can still handle a big 15’er with grace