Why Cone heads

morphfly

Reaction score
Can someone explain why /when these are useful. Reading the contributions it would seem to me that they're either to keep tubes on an even keel or gain greater depth(rather than relying on the sink rate of the line) or have I missed something?

Morphfly
P.S. be gentle!!

macd

Banned
Reaction score
all the weight is concentrated at the front of the fly.

it does swim more evenly, but also jigs enticingly if you give it a wee fig of 8 retrieve.

just another string to the bow

Last edited:

TyneTraveller

Reaction score
Hi, I think there are three main reasons for coneheads, although others may add more.

1) To add weight, and to do so at the front of the fly to give a jigging motion.

2) to create water disturbance that will help to work a soft hair wing ( this is true of all cones, not just 'turbo' cones)

3)To give a bright 'hot spot' target for the salmon to aim at.

martin

Banned
Reaction score
Hi, I think there are three main reasons for coneheads, although others may add more.

1) To add weight, and to do so at the front of the fly to give a jigging motion.

2) to create water disturbance that will help to work a soft hair wing ( this is true of all cones, not just 'turbo' cones)

3)To give a bright 'hot spot' target for the salmon to aim at.
have to agree with Simon there.

That sums up coneheads for me

ant

Reaction score
Hooked!

I think the main reason many are using coneheads now, as with most ideas in fly tying, is because it looks pretty to the angler.

Certainly the fly can sink more quickly if it is a small summer fly with a cone, though in spring the addition of a cone to an already heavy tube will not make an appreciable difference in sink rate.

The fly will also, as stated already, swim a little more horizontal and create turbulance over feather and fur.

Whether these factors make the fly and cone combo more successful at attracting salmon than a standard dressing is beyond us all.

I personally think it makes little more difference than to give an angler more confidence in his fly choice because it can make some flies look better!

Ant

TyneTraveller

Reaction score
The fly has to catch the angler before it can catch the fish... This is very, very true. 95% of fly tying is for the angler, not the fish, otherwise we would just use a wing and a piece of flash on a bare hook.

Squirrels

Reaction score
Any thoughts on different colours of cones - a friend of mine swears by the normal metal tungsten cones and he gets fish however on my normal 'conventional' flies i often used a flouroscent stripe on the head (normally orange) would be interested to hear if anyone has experimented with different coloured cones?

martin

Banned
Reaction score
Any thoughts on different colours of cones - a friend of mine swears by the normal metal tungsten cones and he gets fish however on my normal 'conventional' flies i often used a flouroscent stripe on the head (normally orange) would be interested to hear if anyone has experimented with different coloured cones?
using hot pink at the moment!

Sloggi

Banned
Reaction score
Order. order

Come on guys, let's get back to what was an interesting topic and away from non-fly tying issues

I have been sticking to silver cones in clear conditions and gold in darker/coloured water. Water colour aside, I like silver and yellow cones during the spring and gold/orange later in the season. Red appears popular and looks very attractive.

I agree with the points noted above by Macd, TT et al regarding the beneifts of cones. I retrieve the line at varying speeds during fishing and the vertical movement imparted by the heavy tungsten cone really compliments the mainly horizontal movement imparted by the water.

morphfly

Reaction score
Got a bit light headed with all the talk about nail varnish.But I'm clearer as to the use of cone heads
Many thanks
Morphfly

Squirrels

Reaction score
Come on guys, let's get back to what was an interesting topic and away from non-fly tying issues

I have been sticking to silver cones in clear conditions and gold in darker/coloured water. Water colour aside, I like silver and yellow cones during the spring and gold/orange later in the season. Red appears popular and looks very attractive.

I agree with the points noted above by Macd, TT et al regarding the beneifts of cones. I retrieve the line at varying speeds during fishing and the vertical movement imparted by the heavy tungsten cone really compliments the mainly horizontal movement imparted by the water.
Have you tried Hot orange? The Findhorn is my regular river so peaty water is a factor - I used to favour a dark fly with a hot orange head in the summer. Perhaps microcones might be good development of that concept any thoughts???

martin

Banned
Reaction score
Do we believe salmon can see colour??

could be inportant it choice of conehead colour

ACW

Reaction score
Martin ,on hooks I tend to use a lot of purple ,the silk cut shrimp is almost the only fly that i dress ,tubes waddys and snakes are more variable on colour ,I am trying to do a francis Grant and keep it simple and preferably easy and quick to dress .

Sloggi

Banned
Reaction score
Have you tried Hot orange? The Findhorn is my regular river so peaty water is a factor - I used to favour a dark fly with a hot orange head in the summer. Perhaps microcones might be good development of that concept any thoughts???
Yes, I've tried hot orange. It's ok in darker water but if the water is clearer, I find it's too bright and that's saying something for me :D :eek: I tend to stick with gold in peaty water.

Squirrels

Reaction score
Cheers Sloggi - will give them go hopefully they won't scare the fish as can happen! I'll let you know whether there is any success - will try some gold micro cones too on your recommendation