Who's Happy with Brexit Now ?

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Our free trade deal with New Zealand means it will now be even cheaper to buy lamb flown in from exactly halfway around the world, than domestic lamb from round the corner. The New Zealanders themselves can’t believe their luck/our misfortune. It’s forecast to boost our economy somewhere between 0.01% and -0.01%. So that’s good news then.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Our free trade deal with New Zealand means it will now be even cheaper to buy lamb flown in from exactly halfway around the world, than domestic lamb from round the corner. The New Zealanders themselves can’t believe their luck/our misfortune. It’s forecast to boost our economy somewhere between 0.01% and -0.01%. So that’s good news then.
How very green of them🙄

SOS

Reaction score
We/ you will still have the option of buying British lamb rather than Kiwi lamb.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
We/ you will still have the option of buying British lamb rather than Kiwi lamb.
Yeah. Better off people will. But at the moment, a 2.3kg British leg of lamb costs £30.80 at Sainsburys, while a 1.8kg to 2.3kg leg from New Zealand costs £18.00.

And it's going to get even cheaper once the tariffs are removed.

Buying British shouldn't cost more, in any trade deal. It's not a deal if it kills our own industries. I thought we were doing this thing to restore our independence and invest in Britain?

SOS

Reaction score
Yeah. Better off people will. But at the moment, a 2.3kg British leg of lamb costs £30.80 at Sainsburys, while a 1.8kg to 2.3kg leg from New Zealand costs £18.00.

And it's going to get even cheaper once the tariffs are removed.

Buying British shouldn't cost more, in any trade deal. It's not a deal if it kills our own industries. I thought we were doing this thing to restore our independence and invest in Britain?
From what you are saying British lamb is already to expensive before any deal kicks in.
Does N.Z make cigarettes by any chance?.

Richardgw

Reaction score
Good – competition to push prices down.

So what does this pressure mean for British farmers now it is not so easy to export to the EU. Perhaps the next new top of the range Range Rover might have to wait a year especially as the way subsidies will be distributed are also changing. Maybe they will look after the land properly and stop chucking all the **** in the rivers.

Safranfoer

Reaction score

So what does this pressure mean for British farmers now it is not so easy to export to the EU. Perhaps the next new top of the range Range Rover might have to wait a year especially as the way subsidies will be distributed are also changing. Maybe they will look after the land properly and stop chucking all the **** in the rivers.
I think it will probably lead to fewer farmers and lower welfare standards, myself. I don’t understand the circular logic of leaving the EU to better support British people, industry and economy, and then celebrating aggressive ‘competition’ from imports from exactly halfway around the world. May as well have stayed in the EU.

SOS

Reaction score
I think it will probably lead to fewer farmers and lower welfare standards, myself. I don’t understand the circular logic of leaving the EU to better support British people, industry and economy, and then celebrating aggressive ‘competition’ from imports from exactly halfway around the world. May as well have stayed in the EU.
Someone is making a killing

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Fine. We’ll call it a Brexit win then, this trade deal. Importers undercutting the domestic market and potentially lowering our own standards* and intensifying our land use** was a desirable part of our plan all along, because we actively want British farmers to make less profit/drive worse cars.

That’s what backing Britain looks like. Making our own businesses less profitable, as a strategy, because they’re making money and it’d be better if they made less.

Gotcha.

*This had better not happen as it was definitely dismissed as Project Fear, pre-vote.

**You think the rivers have it bad now…? Wait until we need to pesticide and fertilise to an even greater extent to keep up with the Brazilians or whoever we decide should undercut us next to secure a -0.01% to 0.01% economic boost in our great post-Brexit trade deal strategy.

Last edited:

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
How can they produce lamb for so cheap in nz and transport it half way around the world while still being half the cost of our home grown stuff, farmers here are either ripping us off or **** at their jobs

ozzyian

Reaction score
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell us that the sheep wondering around the hillsides of NZ are more intensively reared than the sheep wondering around the Cotswold ones.

Last edited:

salarchaser

Reaction score

We raise sheep. Dont drive range rovers, dont receive subsidies and dont have any rivers flowing through our land.
A bit of an ill informed comment on your part I might suggest.

We sell half a lamb, butchered for £75.
Proud that our animals will have walked further than they are transported to get to a consumer.

ozzyian

Reaction score
I was wondering that myself as we got to half time on the French cockfighting championship (you need a special Sky package to view it, worth it in my view because you get 6 bullfights a week too) Anyway. foie gras on toast for tea again. I always marvel at how enlightened we Europeans are :)

westie4566

Reaction score
We raise sheep. Dont drive range rovers, dont receive subsidies and dont have any rivers flowing through our land.
A bit of an ill informed comment on your part I might suggest.

We sell half a lamb, butchered for £75.
Proud that our animals will have walked further than they are transported to get to a consumer.
Wish we lived closer Huw - I'd happily pay you that for a half lamb (y) Quality, small holding meat is right up my street,

tenet

Reaction score
Like a lapsed JW saffy has lain dormant and then someone mentions Brexit and she goes off like a squib.🤔🤗🤔

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
New Zealand Lamb is usually frozen, it doesn’t get flown over here fresh, it is shipped here in large quantities in big boats, frozen.

New Zealand Lamb is cheaper to produce because there are a gazillion lambs in New Zealand and that makes it cheap. I would be very surprised if there were appreciably lower welfare standards in NZ.

British Lamb will dominate the fresh market and it will still be out of reach for most people, because it is expensive to produce.

Fresh, U.K. produced leg of lamb is £13/Kg in Tesco today

Frozen NZ produced lamb is £8.57/Kg

The current tarrif for frozen lamb is 12% ( + £107/100kg).

Assuming the tarring moves to zero.

Will NZ Lamb be even more competitive? Yes, it probably will.

Will people automatically switch from U.K. fresh to NZ frozen?
Probably not

Is it ideal to ship goods round the world?
No

Are we going to fly in Frozen Lamb?
Not unless we’re insane

There’s an interesting juxtaposition here. The pro Brexit view is that the competition between suppliers created by free trade is, on the whole good for consumers and will eventually produce more competitive domestic businesses. The competition between Labour that is created by free movement of people is a bad and people should be protected from external competition.

The anti- Brexit view appears to be that competition for Labour is a good thing, but competition between suppliers is bad for domestic business and they should be protected.

Lamson v10

Reaction score

Nobody is forcing you to buy lamb from new Zealand , buy the best buy British lamb 🇬🇧

Handel

Reaction score
A very large part of the flock in New Zealand consists of the New Zealand Romney. This level of standardisation allows for a lot of automation in the production process especially at the abattoir. That reduces costs.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
New Zealand Lamb is usually frozen, it doesn’t get flown over here fresh, it is shipped here in large quantities in big boats, frozen.

New Zealand Lamb is cheaper to produce because there are a gazillion lambs in New Zealand and that makes it cheap. I would be very surprised if there were appreciably lower welfare standards in NZ.

British Lamb will dominate the fresh market and it will still be out of reach for most people, because it is expensive to produce.

Fresh, U.K. produced leg of lamb is £13/Kg in Tesco today

Frozen NZ produced lamb is £8.57/Kg

The current tarrif for frozen lamb is 12% ( + £107/100kg).

Assuming the tarring moves to zero.

Will NZ Lamb be even more competitive? Yes, it probably will.

Will people automatically switch from U.K. fresh to NZ frozen?
Probably not

Is it ideal to ship goods round the world?
No

Are we going to fly in Frozen Lamb?
Not unless we’re insane

There’s an interesting juxtaposition here. The pro Brexit view is that the competition between suppliers created by free trade is, on the whole good for consumers and will eventually produce more competitive domestic businesses. The competition between Labour that is created by free movement of people is a bad and people should be protected from external competition.

The anti- Brexit view appears to be that competition for Labour is a good thing, but competition between suppliers is bad for domestic business and they should be protected.
We already do fly in frozen New Zealand lamb though. Why are you imagining we’d do less of that, when it’s cheaper?

The only thing I know about animal welfare in New Zealand sheep is from last year when Tesco said they wanted to audit the process from field to fork including videos in slaughterhouses and New Zealand producers were v unhappy. Their agriculture minister(?) admitted their systems need improvement - there’s only 1 animal welfare inspector per millions of livestock. Can’t remember how many millions. 5 or 6?

Competition that decimates an industry and lowers standards can’t be good.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Whats different over there to here ?
In fairness that’s a good question. I’m taking it as read from the reporting in everything from The Times and Telegraph to the Mirror - so across any Brexit divide - plus a remembrance of the Tesco audit request from last year. I shall do the necessary due diligence.