Who's Happy with Brexit Now ?

mows

Reaction score
Talking about the shortage is generating the shortage.
There is a bit of truth there.
When we were first wingeing about lack of salmon, it was only on rivers without counters.
The ones with counters were still fine.
Since then, for some strange reason, the counters are being allowed to fail and not repaired, which means all rivers have a shortage now.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Strangely enough this actually is relevant. Go and book something on the Tweed in the next 10 days, you will find that here is basically bugger all. What there is is notably more expensive than in previous years and this year looks to be heading for the worst year on record for catches

So, are these salmon shortages and increased demand the result of a drought summer combined with a load of re-bookings from last years lock down? Or is there the simpler explanation much loved by some - brexit :)

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
I wonder if some of it is (corporate ?) bookings by folk not fully in touch with salmon fishing, run timings etc. They read in a book somewhere that the Tweed has the best autumn run of any river in the country so that is the place to be in October and November ......

But yes, Brexit, Covid 19 and vaccinations are almost certainly culpable as well ......

Rennie

Reaction score
Of Tweed fishings/bookings this year, there will be some loathed to part with what they've had historically for so long in the form of lets, there will be some tied into syndicate weeks who can't get out, there will be those taking a chance to get on an historically great beat at a historically great time, there will be some who don't know any better and take a chance.
I will however say this, the letting agents are using all the tricks in the book to keep revenue flowing for their clients.As such I wouldn't quite trust some of the bookings seen on the search engines as its the oldest trick in the book to generate interest in basically a failing product!.There will be many who have left the river in the knowledge there's nothing there for your money any longer leaving some pretty big gaps to fill. Most with half an ounce of sense aren't going to take a punt at the previous prices. Artificially raising the bookings will raise interest perhaps in those who could never access the fishings before.The most important thing is, you never know who's paying what?, any one with the other 1/2 ounce of sense is like as not bargaining for the fishing they've had with a view to reducing prices realistically.
Most of the people who fished Tweed in times of plenty had to be resonably well off, you don't get like that by being stupid!- in fact quite the opposite!
Pedro.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Prices have gone up, availability has gone down, it's pretty straight forward, ask the ghillies, they've never been busier. There won't be any held over lets from 2021 to 2022 since all the lets could be fulfilled this year so it will be interesting to see what availability and prices look like next year. I personally doubt the prices will reduce.

Loxie

Reaction score
Prices have gone up, availability has gone down, it's pretty straight forward, ask the ghillies, they've never been busier. There won't be any held over lets from 2021 to 2022 since all the lets could be fulfilled this year so it will be interesting to see what availability and prices look like next year. I personally doubt the prices will reduce.
I think CR is largely to blame, again! When everyone routinely killed fish deliberately fishing for kippers was frowned upon and there was not much demand. Now it's fine to fish for kippers because salmon are routinely returned, kippered or clean. Demand for all fishing is increasing and there is decreasing venues still fishing in late October.

Last edited:

ibm59

Reaction score
6508CE4D-E59D-49BB-946A-25303C95BB8D.jpeg

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Anyone listen to R4 this morning?

Government two weeks ago: Driver shortage absolutely nothing to do with Brexit and our current difficulties are an essential step towards a higher wage economy.

Government today: We are allowing drivers from Europe unlimited cabotage rights within the UK, taking us closer to where we were pre-brexit - except UK drivers won’t have those rights reciprocated in Europe and because we are doing it through the cabotage rather than temporary visa system it’ll now not only be easier to exploit low paid foreign drivers, it’ll be even cheaper, as we just gave our domestic ones a pay rise.

Everything’s going well though. We planned this ‘high skilled high wage one way return of cabotage to undercut our local drivers because no one wanted our poor visa offer’ economy. It’s alllll in the plan - because now we have the FREEDOM and CONTROL to shaft ourselves like this.

Elibank

Reaction score
Anyone listen to R4 this morning?

Government two weeks ago: Driver shortage absolutely nothing to do with Brexit and our current difficulties are an essential step towards a higher wage economy.

Government today: We are allowing drivers from Europe unlimited cabotage rights within the UK, taking us closer to where we were pre-brexit - except UK drivers won’t have those rights reciprocated in Europe and because we are doing it through the cabotage rather than temporary visa system it’ll now not only be easier to exploit low paid foreign drivers, it’ll be even cheaper, as we just gave our domestic ones a pay rise.

Everything’s going well though. We planned this ‘high skilled high wage one way return of cabotage to undercut our local drivers because no one wanted our poor visa offer’ economy. It’s alllll in the plan - because now we have the FREEDOM and CONTROL to shaft ourselves like this.

There’s more…..

DAF31B9D-A58E-4974-850B-B6A455D8D225.jpeg

Safranfoer

Reaction score
On the one hand, I think it's fair enough to strike for toilets and not having to drive for 10 hours a day. They both feel like reasonable demands. I'd strike if I couldn't go to the loo at work, and none of us want overtired people driving killing machines on the motorway.

On the other, do the unions not remember what happened last time they made a winter of discontent worse?

mows

Reaction score
On the one hand, I think it's fair enough to strike for toilets and not having to drive for 10 hours a day. They both feel like reasonable demands. I'd strike if I couldn't go to the loo at work, and none of us want overtired people driving killing machines on the motorway.

On the other, do the unions not remember what happened last time they made a winter of discontent worse?
Unions picking a fight with a Tory majority.
Cant see that influencing some future laws.

supporting Unions in principle should be a no brainer.

In practice it doesnt always seem so good an idea.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Unions picking a fight with a Tory majority.
Cant see that influencing some future laws.

supporting Unions in principle should be a no brainer.

In practice it doesnt always seem so good an idea.
It's gifting the Tories a narrative that any Christmas disruption was due to strike action, when in reality things are already so broken maybe now is the least disruptive time to take action? Anyway, yeah. Turkeys voting for Christmas springs to mind. Well. You know. The chicken nuggets you've had in the freezer since the last time the grandkids came over, voting for Christmas, in light of the turkey and now chicken shortages.

mows

Reaction score
It's gifting the Tories a narrative that any Christmas disruption was due to strike action, when in reality things are already so broken maybe now is the least disruptive time to take action? Anyway, yeah. Turkeys voting for Christmas springs to mind. Well. You know. The chicken nuggets you've had in the freezer since the last time the grandkids came over, voting for Christmas, in light of the turkey and now chicken shortages.
I found a goose at the lake that the shooters missed picking up this week so christmas is sorted!

tenet

Reaction score
Maybe saffy and ibm should emigrate as they seem so dissatisfied with everything this government does. The thought of any of the opposition doing better is laughable. If that were to happen then they would certainly have something to moan about.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Maybe saffy and ibm should emigrate as they seem so dissatisfied with everything this government does. The thought of any of the opposition doing better is laughable. If that were to happen then they would certainly have something to moan about.
If you think I wouldn't hold a Labour, or Green, or Lib Dem government to the same level of scrutiny, you're wrong. It's not about whether the opposition would do any better. That's a question for election time. Democracy is a living, breathing thing - it doesn't just happen every 4 years, and you put up with whatever you get in the meantime. If I had voted for this government, I would be FURIOUS that they are letting me down. Furious that their own report said they mishandled the pandemic. Furious that the prime minister I had voted for is so shambolic, that there's no positive plan for the country, just continually reacting to entirely foreseeable problems while bodging up the unforeseen ones. I have marched against a government I voted for (achieved nothing), I started a petition that forced a u-turn from the government I voted for (Labour under Brown). What you see as dissatisfaction, I see as engagement. Sitting back quietly and accepting nonsense government because you don't like Kier Starmer or support the Green agenda is the worst kind of tribalism. Don't you want better...? Don't you deserve better, from the people you chose to represent you? At least I can say that it's not what I asked for. If I'd voted for this government... I'd be really angry. And it's in the best interests of Conservative voters to hold their party to task now, to avoid weakening the majority at the next election. The current government are in power on borrowed votes. To keep them, they need to do better. Sitting quietly and accepting the erratic governance of a populist clown because you think that's what support and patriotism look like is not the best long-term strategy, for your party OR your country.

Last edited:

Andrew B

Reaction score
Re food shortages I can remember some years ago when my mother worked nights at Asda and for some reason I was walking through at some ungodly hour. And not having a clue how things work I remember her using some counting device as the system seemed to be run on a “just enough” type scenario, which is fine when everything is working as it did?
I’m not sure if that’s the case here but it’s hard to see anything positive at the moment. Now where did I put that emergency rations bag.

Andrew B

Reaction score
If you think I wouldn't hold a Labour, or Green, or Lib Dem government to the same level of scrutiny, you're wrong. It's not about whether the opposition would do any better. That's a question for election time. Democracy is a living, breathing thing - it doesn't just happen every 4 years, and you put up with whatever you get in the meantime. If I had voted for this government, I would be FURIOUS that they are letting me down. Furious that their own report said they mishandled the pandemic. Furious that the prime minister I had voted for is so shambolic, that there's no positive plan for the country, just continually reacting to entirely foreseeable problems while bodging up the unforeseen ones. I have marched against a government I voted for (achieved nothing), I started a petition that forced a u-turn from the government I voted for (Labour under Brown). What you see as dissatisfaction, I see as engagement. Sitting back quietly and accepting nonsense government because you don't like Kier Starmer or support the Green agenda is the worst kind of tribalism. Don't you want better...? Don't you deserve better, from the people you chose to represent you? At least I can say that it's not what I asked for. If I'd voted for this government... I'd be really angry. And it's in the best interests of Conservative voters to hold their party to task now, to avoid weakening the majority at the next election. The current government are in power on borrowed votes. To keep them, they need to do better. Sitting quietly and accepting the erratic governance of a populist clown because you think that's what support and patriotism look like is not the best long-term strategy.
There’s a great Radiohead song on OK computer called electioneering “I will stop at nothing I trust I can rely on your vote”. It’s worth noting they’ve all been using the same terminology “the build back better” thing.
To hear that from the likes Trudeau and Prince Charles at the start of the Pandemic as if they could use such a tragedy for good made me feel sick at the lack of empathy and to now hear how badly things have been handled gives me no comfort whatsoever.

happy days

Reaction score
If you think I wouldn't hold a Labour, or Green, or Lib Dem government to the same level of scrutiny, you're wrong. It's not about whether the opposition would do any better. That's a question for election time. Democracy is a living, breathing thing - it doesn't just happen every 4 years, and you put up with whatever you get in the meantime. If I had voted for this government, I would be FURIOUS that they are letting me down. Furious that their own report said they mishandled the pandemic. Furious that the prime minister I had voted for is so shambolic, that there's no positive plan for the country, just continually reacting to entirely foreseeable problems while bodging up the unforeseen ones. I have marched against a government I voted for (achieved nothing), I started a petition that forced a u-turn from the government I voted for (Labour under Brown). What you see as dissatisfaction, I see as engagement. Sitting back quietly and accepting nonsense government because you don't like Kier Starmer or support the Green agenda is the worst kind of tribalism. Don't you want better...? Don't you deserve better, from the people you chose to represent you? At least I can say that it's not what I asked for. If I'd voted for this government... I'd be really angry. And it's in the best interests of Conservative voters to hold their party to task now, to avoid weakening the majority at the next election. The current government are in power on borrowed votes. To keep them, they need to do better. Sitting quietly and accepting the erratic governance of a populist clown because you think that's what support and patriotism look like is not the best long-term strategy, for your party OR your country.
Why isn’t Starmers new, new Labour with Blair pulling the strings taking the Tories to task, ? Is it that really they are all just pissing in the same pot ?

peterchilton

Reaction score

Did brexit remove their toilets then, I still have mine! Anyone else had their toilet removed by brexit?