Who's Happy with Brexit Now ?

Pollowick

Reaction score
You mean this Theresa May. I always felt rather sorry for her as PM? That was until I read this story about from 2011 which actually defies belief. Absolutely nothing to with Brexit, albeit it does show how she thinks and why you’re probably right in saying you could of done a better job lol.

It was not a throw away remark either ... I have negotiated contracts with European entites, the biggest of which was worth well over £1Bn and when you get to that level, there is not much differenc between £1Bn and £100Bn.

Elibank

Reaction score
It was not a throw away remark either ... I have negotiated contracts with European entites, the biggest of which was worth well over £1Bn and when you get to that level, there is not much differenc between £1Bn and £100Bn.
In my experience, you just mentally knock a few noughts off the end..

Jonsey

Reaction score
I write as someone related to many on benefits. There is now a very large group of people, certainly hundreds of thousands if not more, who have never worked, have children who have never worked and now have grandchildren being brought up in the same culture.
They have smartphones, big TVs, cars and holidays abroad. As I type a large extended family I know are planning an all inclusive three week holiday to Turkey.
Something wrong somewhere.
Benefits should be linked to job opportunities and as little as possible given in cash. Rent, Community Tax, utilities directly deducted. Basic food stuffs and children’s clothes as vouchers. Cookery courses for those who think an eating app is the answer.
It will never happen of course because most politicians are spineless.
I think your confusing the millions of people living in increasing abject poverty with the entitled and privileged elite who own the tabloid tripe you’ve so obviously been brainwashed by.

Safranfoer

Reaction score

peterchilton

Reaction score
Last edited:

tenet

Reaction score
My fishing partners daughter is an adviser at a Job Centre Plus and often says that folk's eyes would be opened if they spent a day alongside her. Not all are workshy but a very sizeable minority are.The amount of help that is available to people who find themselves out of work or want to get into work is amazing - from retraining, financial help or up skilling, all free of charge.

Jonsey

Reaction score
You are ignoring the majority of my text in which I simply state the facts of what I see around me on a daily basis.
Maybe you’ll want to make them wear an armband too?
The fact of the matter is foreign holidays, cars, luxury electronic goods are just not available to you if you are solely in receipt of benefits. Life is tough, far tougher than you can possibly imagine. Sadly you are caught up in perpetuating another urban myth, designed by the right wing to alienate, cause suspicion and societal division, blame the poor, blame the immigrants, blame the EU, blame anybody and while you’re busy doing that, we’ll fleece the public purse..

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Facts for sure but they are 9 years old. No longer relevant springs to mind. Lot like the Labour party ;)
There isn't recent data because, as far as I can tell, they struggled to find any evidence of it all, and haven't bothered looking since. Those figures are the only ones out there. This, from Wales, in 2016: https://www.wcpp.org.uk/wp-content/...ional-Worklessness-and-Fragile-Employment.pdf

However, the number of workless households is decreasing according to the latest robust figures:

You see a lot of Conservative voters simultaneously trumpeting the government's line that unemployment is down AND that work-shy layabout benefit-claimants are up. Which is it? And dear lord, why can't we get angry at the super rich that break the rules and cost us billions more than the rule breaking poor could ever dream of. We are SUCH good serfs, turning on each other dutifully, begrudging someone a big telly while cheerfully accepting that there are people out there blagging the system to buy mansions, yachts and islands. Yeah but my friend's neighbours daughter went on an all-inclusive holiday (cheap in Turkey, relative to even a UK stay, which at the moment requires the sale of an internal organ).

Last edited:

peterchilton

Reaction score
There isn't recent data because, as far as I can tell, they struggled to find any evidence of it all, and haven't bothered looking since. Those figures are the only ones out there. This, from Wales, in 2016: https://www.wcpp.org.uk/wp-content/...ional-Worklessness-and-Fragile-Employment.pdf

However, the number of workless households is decreasing according to the latest robust figures:

You see a lot of Conservative voters simultaneously trumpeting the government's line that unemployment is down AND that work-shy layabout benefit-claimants are up. Which is it? And dear lord, why can't we get angry at the super rich that break the rules and cost us billions more than the rule breaking poor could ever dream of. We are SUCH good serfs, turning on each other dutifully, begrudging someone a big telly while cheerfully accepting that there are people out there blagging the system to buy mansions, yachts and islands.
its obviously both as that is what you have reported.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
its obviously both as that is what you have reported.
I'm confused. My understanding is that worklessness is down and that the concept of a culture of intergenerational worklessness is a myth - so I'm therefore not reporting an increase in feckless workshy types. Anyway. This is pointless as I'm not sure people want to let facts interfere with the misanthropic feeling that being out of work or claiming benefits = being lazy and of poor character, when the reality is that losing our jobs can happen to any one of us, and undoubtedly did for many members of the forum last year, and the number of people taking advantage of the system is vastly, overwhelmingly outweighed by people using the system correctly, the majority of them while in work. If our benefits bill is too high, it's largely because our population is ageing and wages don't cover the cost of living, not because thousands of people are buying big TVs.

marty31

Reaction score

You see a lot of Conservative voters simultaneously trumpeting the government's line that unemployment is down AND that work-shy layabout benefit-claimants are up. Which is it? And dear lord, why can't we get angry at the super rich that break the rules and cost us billions more than the rule breaking poor could ever dream of. We are SUCH good serfs, turning on each other dutifully, begrudging someone a big telly while cheerfully accepting that there are people out there blagging the system to buy mansions, yachts and islands. Yeah but my friend's neighbours daughter went on an all-inclusive holiday (cheap in Turkey, relative to even a UK stay, which at the moment requires the sale of an internal organ).
We can also get angry at tony and cherrie blairs very clever engineered evasion of mandatory stamp duty😥

Ypres

Reaction score
Here is a true and eye opening story.
My sister in law decided to work for a few hours a week in a food bank in a deprived ex mining community.
By pure coincidence the food bank was opposite a bar. My sister in law soon came to recognise many of her regular customers as frequent customers of the bar as she often saw them outside having a cigarette.
Later they would come over for their food parcel. It was common to find anything that required cooking such as potatoes, pasta and rice abandoned on the street.
My sister in law gave up the work as she saw that there were people who felt that they were entitled to their food and that giving food out was encouraging more and more to believe society would feed them and they could prioritise their spending on drink and cigarettes.

scotsmac1

Reaction score
What I see as concerning, the amount of comments about the so called lazy, scrounging dole addicts.
But so small amount comments about the mass financial fiddles of many mega rich. Many Tory donators funnelling illicit funds into the tory party. ( I wonder why, would it be the expectation of favours in return )
Not only last night Panorama had a Doc on this subject.
Would it not make more sense to be more upset about the millions fiddled out the national coffer, than few £ fiddled by someone on the dole ?
Im not saying 2 wrongs make a right. But it does show how easy the propaganda works when a little finance funds the lie. Lets have it right, 1 these mega fiddlers steals more than all the dole so called scroungers put together.
And the disgusting part this scenario , how with open arms the Tory's accept the donations more less knowing it black money, and even joining in the cover up, to wash the money, so long it funds the bribe. ( I dont just see the Torys accepting these bribes, it more less an all party scenario. Not an ideal political situation. )

Woodsy

Reaction score
Still very adamant that Brexit has little to no benefit for anyone.

One possible benefit that I see from an economic point of view was NI protocol. This gave businesses in Belfast, Derry and Newry the chance to get investment from the EU and the UK markets. Real niche opportunity compared to any other city in the UK and Ireland

.....But even our politicians are wanting to screw this over too 🤣

peterchilton

Reaction score
What I see as concerning, the amount of comments about the so called lazy, scrounging dole addicts.
But so small amount comments about the mass financial fiddles of many mega rich. Many Tory donators funnelling illicit funds into the tory party. ( I wonder why, would it be the expectation of favours in return )
Not only last night Panorama had a Doc on this subject.
Would it not make more sense to be more upset about the millions fiddled out the national coffer, than few £ fiddled by someone on the dole ?
Im not saying 2 wrongs make a right. But it does show how easy the propaganda works when a little finance funds the lie. Lets have it right, 1 these mega fiddlers steals more than all the dole so called scroungers put together.
And the disgusting part this scenario , how with open arms the Tory's accept the donations more less knowing it black money, and even joining in the cover up, to wash the money, so long it funds the bribe. ( I dont just see the Torys accepting these bribes, it more less an all party scenario. Not an ideal political situation. )

The biggest bribes must be the Trades Unions funding the Labour party, we will give you this money but if you get elected, then our leaders, unelected by the country, will tell you what to do. So whats wrong with that?

It all seems wrong to me so what is the answer to funding the political parties evenly?

tenet

Reaction score
Wasn't it Tony the Turds party that set up the electoral commission in 2001 to vet party donations??

ozzyian

Reaction score
The biggest bribes must be the Trades Unions funding the Labour party, we will give you this money but if you get elected, then our leaders, unelected by the country, will tell you what to do. So whats wrong with that?

It all seems wrong to me so what is the answer to funding the political parties evenly?
I don't think any of this funding is really acceptable but you could reasonably make the argument that union influence is at least somewhat representative but I'm still waiting for some one (I was hoping it might be you Peter) to explain how Amersi's wishes are representative of a rank and file tory.