Who's Happy with Brexit Now ?

scotsmac1

Reaction score
Well, after the shock of waking up to find we were out of Europe, now the reality.
Think so many folk were like myself and never bothered to vote as thought no chance, mmmmm.
Well here we are. Personally cant find any Brexit voters who can tell me the advantages. In fact don't personally know any Brexit voters.
WE now in a state the Military are driving Ambulances. Talking military working in Pork abattoirs , Military driving our Fuel lorry's, We got No Beaters for the big estates, and on and on.
I remember the old chestnut Foreign fishers in our waters, When all the Quotas were already given out.
The old chestnut , all the foreigners nicking our jobs, when personally most tradesmen in the big city, are mostly Polish or Eastern Europe.
We now got Europe hating us, and who can blame them. It's now a hassle to travel round Europe, . Could go on and on.
We dont see much of Farge, and his Racist rants now. Was it racism one the main reasons we out ?
Please can any Brexit voter tell me the advantage Brexit has given us ???????

Loxie

Reaction score
For me it has just made life harder and more expensive, but that's why I voted remain in the first place! It's not all bad, but I think it will be a long time yet before the inevitable transitional issues get ironed out fully. I wonder if it will go like the Scottish neverendum and we will have another vote?

Springer

Reaction score
Well, after the shock of waking up to find we were out of Europe, now the reality.
Think so many folk were like myself and never bothered to vote as thought no chance, mmmmm.
Well here we are. Personally cant find any Brexit voters who can tell me the advantages. In fact don't personally know any Brexit voters.
WE now in a state the Military are driving Ambulances. Talking military working in Pork abattoirs , Military driving our Fuel lorry's, We got No Beaters for the big estates, and on and on.
I remember the old chestnut Foreign fishers in our waters, When all the Quotas were already given out.
The old chestnut , all the foreigners nicking our jobs, when personally most tradesmen in the big city, are mostly Polish or Eastern Europe.
We now got Europe hating us, and who can blame them. It's now a hassle to travel round Europe, . Could go on and on.
We dont see much of Farge, and his Racist rants now. Was it racism one the main reasons we out ?

Its far too early to tell if Brexit will be good, bad or ultimately a net equal thing once the dust has had time to settle, realistically that will take 3-5yrs at least, maybe more. I voted to leave and I wasnt expecting some overnight miracle where the country would be prospering from the day after we finally left. We now have the building blocks of a new future for us to work with but it has to take time.

The only people you really hear anything from at this stage are the remoaners who still cant cope with the decision and look to blame anything they can on Brexit. The rest of the remain and leave voters are probably applying common sense to the situation and waiting to see how things pan out over a reasonable time frame that should be expected of such a huge change.

Probably the biggest thing that we have initially benefitted from as a result of Brexit is the amazingly fast and efficient vaccine rollout and how the effects of this might put us in a strong position going forward against the rest of Europe and the world. If we were still part of the EU we would be squabbling amongst 27 other countries for what we felt was our fair share, instead we got what we needed quickly.

Im no fan of Boris or the Tories and more than any other party but he got in quickly when it came to buying vaccines and he could do that because he was free to deal with the drug companies outside of the EU framework. The EU looked to buy on behalf of 27 member nations and then divide what they could get out amongst themselves. Thats far from ideal and shows at least one benefit to being out there as an independent sovereign nation again.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Nobody could ever tell me what Brexit meant in the first place other than "Brexit means Brexit". So there we are we go Brexit.

I voted remain for that very reason. And as we didnt know WHAT it was there could never be a plan on HOW we got there.

I accept we're out and now we just have to get on with it.
Just dont want the government whinging about any issues arising. Just get on and fix it.

Like scotsmanc1 Ive not witnessed any benefits. And like Loxie, things seem harder. More friction (wasn't frictionless trade one from Boris).

As Saffie mentioned on another thread, its not the fact were out, its the lack of planning and the mismanagement.

Still wondering why NI has gone up given the Billions of benefits touted on the campaign bus.

ballintemple

Reaction score
Probably the biggest thing that we have initially benefitted from as a result of Brexit is the amazingly fast and efficient vaccine rollout and how the effects of this might put us in a strong position going forward against the rest of Europe and the world. If we were still part of the EU we would be squabbling amongst 27 other countries for what we felt was our fair share, instead we got what we needed quickly.

Birkin

Reaction score
Probably due to the fact that a lot of our younger people have slowed down our rate by not taking up the vaccine but this has made it possible for the health service to start administering the booster vaccine.
Stats can be interpreted in many ways.
Not sure how many people keep up with the goings on in the EU at the moment, probably to much else to worry about, but it seems to be in absolute turmoil at the moment.

Last edited:

peterchilton

Reaction score
Russia's Gazprom has stopped gas transit to Hungary via Ukraine today. Meanwhile, gas spot prices in Europe hit a new record-high: $1,200 per 1,000 ccm.

springer said
Probably the biggest thing that we have initially benefitted from as a result of Brexit is the amazingly fast and efficient vaccine rollout and how the effects of this might put us in a strong position going forward

The link from Ballintemple likes by ace remoaners did not indicate how quickly the rest of Europe and the EU took up that vaccines approx 10 months ago when the pressure was on.

mows

Reaction score
Was on the fence, though voted to leave when threatened by Osbourne with a punitive budget if i didnt vote the way he instructed me to.
The pandemic appeared and it makes it difficult to know what is brexit and what is pandemic.
With respect to no beaters, berry pickers or hospitality staff.
Im not sure its right complaining that we cant parasite of the poorest in europe to do our dirty work for peanuts.
Fishing doesnt really even come into the equation for another 4 years, when the UK can change things.
The contempt we got from europe for having the cheek to leave means i cant see myself ever voting to go back in.
Been a **** season for me with no rain for 3 months.
As my reamoaner mate says.
Serves me right for voting leave
If we had still been in europe, there would have been plenty of water.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Initially voted leave then changed my ballot as no faith in the government to deliver it successfully and no desire to align myself with the rhetoric from the likes of Farage. Nothing that’s happened since makes me think I wasn’t right. This isn’t a period of managed, expected and mitigated against hardship. Anyone that suggested there might even BE issues post-Brexit was dismissed as a fearmonger or talking Britain down, pre-vote. I vividly remember being told supply chains wouldn’t fail. Whatever. There was no plan, there is no plan - government is just reacting to problems as that emerge. That’s not a strategy for success. It’s a strategy for survival. Not the kind of thing I can vote for or endorse. If that’s remoaning - fine. But until someone with a realistic, pragmatic and actionable plan not ideologically driven slogans and optimism takes control, it’s going to be problematic. You plan for the worst and hope for the best. That’s what I’d do, anyway. Optimism without rigour is naivety.

The pandemic hasn’t helped but it’s precisely why we needed a plan. Resilience was needed. If it wasn’t the pandemic, it could have been another banking crash, or war. Geopolitical factors will always play into our success. We went into this blind and on the assumption we truly are an island. Ridiculous.

scotsmac1

Reaction score
I totally understand things will take time to settle in.
I imagine when household heating prices go way up, the price of shopping goes up by large amount, more staff shortages, I just cant for the life me see where the advantages are. I personally loved it when I could jump in the car and travel round Europe. Hassle now aint the word.
Ok it will take time see the advantages. I just wonder what they going to be.
What I can see, is Shortages of Nurses, Shortage of fruit and veg pickers, and higher prices, and the massive shortage go general labouring jobs.
Also any brits living in Europe having mega problems, that have already started.
Think the days of independent sovereign nation, are way way gone. In my opinion its now a joined international world, and personally I think that a good thing.
I might be wrong here, but it would not surprise me that the 5% mega rich have made advantages from this . Anyone els , lets see ???

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Russia's Gazprom has stopped gas transit to Hungary via Ukraine today. Meanwhile, gas spot prices in Europe hit a new record-high: $1,200 per 1,000 ccm.

springer said

The link from Ballintemple likes by ace remoaners did not indicate how quickly the rest of Europe and the EU took up that vaccines approx 10 months ago when the pressure was on.
We could have taken exactly the same course as EU members. Nothing would have stopped us. Brexit didn’t accelerate our vaccination programme.

peterchilton

Reaction score
Surely you mean that the EU could have taken the same route as us but they didn't, odd this was offered by remoaners at the time but didn't seem to get much traction.

So the quick uptake and delivery was just good organisation by government bodies?

Sunset_angler

Reaction score
Germany tried to rule Europe TWICE with the sword, now the control Europe with the pen, I'm not being told what I can or cant do by a country that has cost millions of lives over the past 100 years or so.
The European union is doomed to failure and will eventually collapse. Better out before we are pulled down with them

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Surely you mean that the EU could have taken the same route as us but they didn't, odd this was offered by remoaners at the time but didn't seem to get much traction.

So the quick uptake and delivery was just good organisation by government bodies?
Yes. Anyone within the EU could have done what we did. They chose not to and bought their vaccines en masse to secure cost-savings. Our accelerated programme was brilliant and a tribute to the team that put it together, both centrally and at local activation level - but I’m not convinced it’s put us in any stronger position than mainland Europe in terms of measures like deaths or the economic impact of restrictions. The measure we are ‘winning’ at is speed of initial rollout. Brilliant. Fine. The key metric? Debatable. Regardless - nothing to do with the EU or lack thereof.

peterchilton

Reaction score
Yes. Anyone within the EU could have done what we did. They chose not to and bought their vaccines en masse to secure cost-savings. Our accelerated programme was brilliant and a tribute to the team that put it together, both centrally and at local activation level - but I’m not convinced it’s put us in any stronger position than mainland Europe in terms of measures like deaths or the economic impact of restrictions. The measure we are ‘winning’ at is speed of initial rollout. Brilliant. Fine. The key metric? Debatable. Regardless - nothing to do with the EU or lack thereof.
But well done the government :)

go on you can say it

Cascade

Reaction score
I'm very happy that we aren't being told what to do by the unelected EU mafia.
As Springer says, it will take a few years to recover from leaving the EU, who have done their best to make it difficult for the UK.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
But well done the government :)

go on you can say it
I did. I said it was brilliant and a tribute to the team that put it together, both centrally and locally. Still has nothing to do with being out of the EU and claiming it as a benefit is disingenuous. As are arguments claiming it might have been possible but we wouldn’t have procured alone, were we still members - because that scenario would have been a failure of the government, not the EU. The original poster asked for benefits of leaving the EU. Maybe it’s too early for those.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Is Brexit over? Surely the transition is still ongoing & will continue for some time, criticise it then?
That’s a good point. January is when the honeymoon period is over. Let’s see what happens then.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Is Brexit over? Surely the transition is still ongoing & will continue for some time, criticise it then?
Boris thinks its over he 'got it done'.

If we had a proper plan we'd have had a timeline for when things would get better and what the value of the betterment would be. The government doesnt have that. They just 'do stuff' then say 'it's done'.

There is no measure of how well we are doing.

If the government had said that post brexit we need 500k workers from the EU for 2 years while we build capability in x, y and z roles, then 200k for year 3, 100k for year 4 and 0 in year 5 we could measure progress. Thats a plan. I could buy into that.
Do we have an upskilling programme to acheive that? Have we identified the resource pool? Can we get the EU resource in?

Nope, what we've done is throw skilled labour out without knowing if we need it then panic when a shortage emerges.

Hey, plenty imigrants crossing the channel. More than before Brexit. Maybe that's the resource pool. :unsure:

Slaneybs

Reaction score
1633198199293.png

1633198232327.png

1633198271772.png

a few of the benefits as seen by the Irish Times Martyn Turner

Cascade

Reaction score
Nobody can be happy with the government's handling of Brexit. They may have 'got it done, but they made a mess of the Brexit negotiations and as salarchaser says, ignored all of the problems caused by the loss of EU labour in sectors such as construction, agriculture, health and care sectors, hgv drivers etc.

I always assumed the government would prioritise setting up a new immigration system which would allow essential workers to continue working in the UK, while restricting other immigration into our overcrowded country.

I think most countries are suffering shortages and price increases of certain goods and materials because of the worldwide Covid shutdowns, but problems in the UK are being exacerbated by an incompetent government which is incapable of forward planning.