Who is still Fishing ????

picasso

Reaction score
Well, what a difference a week has made, things have progressed even further than even I anticipated. There can be NO ambiguity about the decision on wither to fish in this current 3 week lockdown. BUT, and i,m surprised it happened so soon, I,ve already seen a post on Social media on Thursday of an angler landing a trout from a local river, and on my daily walk along the path of the same river yesterday I saw another angler fishing a run !!!

So, who is still fishing ?

What,s your thoughts regarding punishment ( they can now be legally fined £60) ?

And finally are they giving more fuel to those wanting to ban our sport ?

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Anyone out fishing at the moment is a fu cking idiot plain and simple and quite rightly deserves to be fined

glenelg100

Reaction score
I was meant to be on the Lower Tummel today, the water is at a good height, the weather isn’t too bad either. But it’s a no go. My last two trips were flooded out , now this one perfect conditions and cancelled.

Reaction score
Well, what a difference a week has made, things have progressed even further than even I anticipated. There can be NO ambiguity about the decision on wither to fish in this current 3 week lockdown. BUT, and i,m surprised it happened so soon, I,ve already seen a post on Social media on Thursday of an angler landing a trout from a local river, and on my daily walk along the path of the same river yesterday I saw another angler fishing a run !!!

So, who is still fishing ?

What,s your thoughts regarding punishment ( they can now be legally fined £60) ?

And finally are they giving more fuel to those wanting to ban our sport ?
what is the difference between your walking and his fishing ?

NEbody

Reaction score
In practical terms, very little but walking is included in the list of acceptable activities and fishing isn’t. If people fish, they leave the whole sport open to attack for being antisocial. Much as I’d like to be fishing, I think it’s best avoided until it becomes acceptable.

MikeCC

Reaction score
Oh god not again. It doesnt really matter what the difference is, arguing about it is pointless. The govt have said you can either walk, run, or cycle, fishing however is off the table! You open the door to fishers getting leeway then you open the door to other similar outdoors activities. There has to be a line drawn somewhere and the govt have clearly defined it. We’re lucky we’re even getting out for a walk to be honest so lets not abuse that ‘privilege’ as well or it too will be promptly banned.

Robb76

Reaction score
This really bloody annoys me!

I like many would love to be out fishing now but the bottom line is we have been instructed to stay at home!
I heard of a mate yesterday than one angler had messaged him saying he'd been out everyday this week on our local river...truly unbelievable :doh:

My other half is on the front line of the NHS, if she is not working her whatsapp groups are a hive of activity with her nurse colleagues worrying about the situation. The harsh reality of this epidemic is people are dying, the selfish people who think its alright I'm not doing any harm etc want a reality check.

Fine them, ban them whatever, they should be made to help out setting up makeshift hospitals etc as we are a long away from living a normal life.

Apologies for the rant, just very frustrated reading/hearing how naive some people are being at the scale of this virus.

Timmins

Reaction score
That’s a tough one glenelg 100. missed three days to flooding in feb myself and all this week the rivers been at a perfect height who ever the lucky 6 anglers are that fish the first day at the dam for fish that’s never seen a fly/lure could be in for a red letter day

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I was meant to be on the Lower Tummel today, the water is at a good height, the weather isn’t too bad either. But it’s a no go. My last two trips were flooded out , now this one perfect conditions and cancelled.
I've not wet a line this season, my first two trips up the northie I was flooded off, i was ment to be on the northie today and it's looking good, but hey ho we're in this situation and just have to deal with it the best we can and STAY INDOORS , those who do not comply with the rules and go fishing should have their tackle CONFISCATED if caught

Neil W

Reaction score
It’s very clear. The Angling Trust sought clarity from the government and they said no fishing. Clear and simple as it should be

RUSH

Reaction score
I've not wet a line this season, my first two trips up the northie I was flooded off, i was ment to be on the northie today and it's looking good, but hey ho we're in this situation and just have to deal with it the best we can and STAY INDOORS , those who do not comply with the rules and go fishing should have their tackle CONFISCATED if caught
I spoke to my mate on Wednesday night he’s got 2 mile of bank at the pump house flats I said the river was shut and he said people had been on fishing everyday I told him to tell them to foxtrot oscar if he saw them again

pol_angler

Reaction score
On Thu 26th government spokesperson made it clear that fishing is not a form of physical activity and is not allowed during lockdown. It does not matter if they've got right or wrong, rule is a rule.

Last edited:

MikeCC

Reaction score
I see Forth District Salmon Fishery Board Bailiffs have been out patrolling. Reports confirm 5 groups of anglers removed from Stirling Council water and reports of more elsewhere. Who the hell are these complete ignoramuses that are out flouting the lockdown??? Looks like its been dealt with by a verbal warning this time however should matters continue then legal action to be taken in terms of the coronavirus legislation or fisheries act.
Any permit holders should also have their permits removed for life....or bring back public floggings!

Last edited:

Mattytree

Reaction score
Don’t see what the problem is if your not travelling more than 2km from your front door and not by car, most of our club members are within quarter mile some meters of the river, they are not driving to another area.. I won’t be fishing the main river as it’s more than 2km from my door but I will probably get the 4# trout rod out as I can fish in my garden.
Still has been many idiots driving out from the town to go for walks by the river though , but are promptly told to F off by the local farmers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
all these dog walker and people who suddenly need exercise when they have never exercised before need to stay at home. If dog owners don't have somewhere for there dog on their property they should never of had a dog.

picasso

Reaction score
Its clearly quite obvious that the message still isn,t getting through, that said couldn,t the Administrators post a notice on the frontispiece clearly stating the current situation ? Other forums , Walkhighlands and UKC Climbing have messages clearly telling there visitors whats expecteded of them under the current lockdown.

Last edited:

Stu101

Reaction score
Don’t see what the problem is if your not travelling more than 2km from your front door and not by car.
My friend is a doctor. He spent a large part of his shift on Thursday dealing with a woman who had fallen off her bike, and some one who had tripped crossing a style. The more people out, the more issues caused, and the more resources taken away from those who need it. Even with in the 2km limit people need to be sensible.

Reaction score
This really bloody annoys me!

I like many would love to be out fishing now but the bottom line is we have been instructed to stay at home!
I heard of a mate yesterday than one angler had messaged him saying he'd been out everyday this week on our local river...truly unbelievable :doh:

My other half is on the front line of the NHS, if she is not working her whatsapp groups are a hive of activity with her nurse colleagues worrying about the situation. The harsh reality of this epidemic is people are dying, the selfish people who think its alright I'm not doing any harm etc want a reality check.

Fine them, ban them whatever, they should be made to help out setting up makeshift hospitals etc as we are a long away from living a normal life.

Apologies for the rant, just very frustrated reading/hearing how naive some people are being at the scale of this virus.
I saw someone standing in the long pool below the motorway bridge on Wednesday, Carlisle angling association are totally irresponsible there waters should be closed.