Who is fishing the #fishdee24 next week?

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Hey well done Iain. Was this on the 24hr job?
No that starts at 9.30 pm tonight with fishing from 10.30 in less than ideal wind levels in daylight let alone dark 😳. I hope I’m not on the south bank to start!

F3C81651-BAD1-4374-B391-EAA4DB7ED6CB.jpeg

westie4566

Reaction score
I had a grilse from Tilbouries today and yesterday Banchory took 10 fish! They are there to be caught 👍
Nice one Iain...hope you haven't peaked too soon. :p You're about to start so well done to yourself and the other anglers braving these most un June like weather conditions!! Nae a good night for the seatrout.

Below the Feugh got a wee lift last night and big tides just now. The grilse are in so fish hard for them tomorrow!!!

Tight lines to all(y)

scoops

Reaction score
Sadly not. Just a ‘practice’ session beforehand. Not fishing great during the 24 hour job so far! Started 10.30pm last night but only one salmon so far and around 5 sea trout.
Tight lines 🎣 for today, forecast looks a bit more promising today after yesterday’s damp howler

Nath

Reaction score
Well that was great event! Really well organised with a mixed variety aid great people and anglers! No fish for me, lost a few sea trout over the 24hrs, well done to Dave for his 2 sea trout and spanking grilse he landed in the afternoon when I was there. Great to meet Iain face to face and well done to him for his fish the day before the event.

Finally really great to meet westie at Middle Drum, top bloke and a pleasure to fish with, if only for a short time!

Have to say all of the volunteers did an amazing job in what was not great conditions during the night.

Thank you all!!

westie4566

Reaction score
Well that was great event! Really well organised with a mixed variety aid great people and anglers! No fish for me, lost a few sea trout over the 24hrs, well done to Dave for his 2 sea trout and spanking grilse he landed in the afternoon when I was there. Great to meet Iain face to face and well done to him for his fish the day before the event.

Finally really great to meet westie at Middle Drum, top bloke and a pleasure to fish with, if only for a short time!

Have to say all of the volunteers did an amazing job in what was not great conditions during the night.

Thank you all!!
Was good to meet yourself and Dave too - great putting faces to names.

How did the cocktails go? :p 😂

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Feeling just mildly brain dead now after a solid nights sleep! Was it worth the long trek north to find the challenge? Absolutely. There aren’t going to be many opportunities to fish 7 beats on the Dee for £100 with a reasonable chance of fish. While we only had 3 hours on each beat and would have liked much more, I’d liken it to a taster menu as it gave a real opportunity to gain a flavour for the river which left me wanting more and I will be back to do better than the the two wee parr that I caught during challenge hours!

It was also good to know that my efforts raised funds for the Dee Trust to continue their work in restoring the river to her former glory. Work and research that is generating learnings that can be applied to other rivers as well and support arguments for improvement that are based on scientific fact.

Finally it was an opportunity to put some faces to names for the dodgy bunch on here 🤣and to meet many new like minded nutters willing to spend 24 hours on the river!

it wasn’t perfect though for with the numbers fishing the pools ended up being very over fished and I suspect that by the second half, there was little chance of a fish unless it was fresh to the pool. There were also a few hiccups with food deliveries which could be sorted fairly easily. In general though, given that this was the first ever event of this nature put on by the trust, and that it is a complex thing to organise, it would be daft to assume that everything would be perfect. I’m sure some fine tuning will be done and so would I do it again. Without a second thought I would because if I can survive Andrew and Blaine for 24 hours (with some sanity from Richard) I can survive anything! Hide the sausage anyone…🤣

Last edited:

Oscar

Reaction score
Feeling just mildly brain dead now after a solid nights sleep! Was it worth the long trek north to find the challenge? Absolutely. There aren’t going to be many opportunities to fish 7 beats on the Dee for £100 with a reasonable chance of fish. While we only had 3 hours on each beat and would have liked much more, I’d liken it to a taster menu as it gave a real opportunity to gain a flavour for the river which left me wanting more and I will be back to do better than the the two wee parr that I caught during challenge hours!

It was also good to know that my efforts raised funds for the Dee Trust to continue their work in restoring the river to her former glory. Work and research that is generating learnings that can be applied to other rivers as well and support arguments for improvement that are based on scientific fact.

Finally it was an opportunity to put some faces to names for the dodgy bunch on here 🤣and to meet many new like minded nutters willing to spend 24 hours on the river!

it wasn’t perfect though for with the numbers fishing the pools ended up being very over fished and I suspect that by the second half, there was little chance of a fish unless it was fresh to the pool. There were also a few hiccups with food deliveries which could be sorted fairly easily. In general though, given that this was the first ever event of this nature put on by the trust, and that it is a complex thing to organise, it would be daft to assume that everything would be perfect. I’m sure some fine tuning will be done and so would I do it again. Without a second thought I would because if I can survive Andrew and Blaine for 24 hours (with some sanity from Richard) I can survive anything! Hide the sausage anyone…🤣
Sounds great.

Is the plan to repeat in 2022? I might be up for that…

Oscar.

Oscar

Reaction score
So what was it all about? A 24hr comp to catch as many as you can? Sea trout only, or salmon too?

Oscar.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
So what was it all about? A 24hr comp to catch as many as you can? Sea trout only, or salmon too?

Oscar.
£100 entry to get to fish 7 beats over 24 hours and to get sponsorship of £500 or more for the Dee Trust. Prizes based on the best level of sponsorship, and number of sea trout or salmon caught with bonuses for any over a certain size. The emphasis was definitely on enjoying the camaraderie and experience than being competitive though which is as it should be in my view.

Last edited: