who can make me 60 gram Flying Cs??

hairyscotsman

Reaction score
I am looking for 60Gram Flying Cs for upcoming trip to Chile..
Can someone point me in right direction of somebody that can make me good reliable strong lures..
Thanks

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Without sounding pretentious, I think that a 60 grams Flying C might have a far too heavy weight, whatever its expected use! I caught my best ever salmon (47 Ibs on the Vosso in Norway, under a very high June water level as you can see on my avatar) on this spinner, which gave me quite a number of good fish over the years, when I spinned!
Here is a link (English version) to the firm which invented and commercializes this lure.
You will notice that their maximum weight is 25 grams! I don’t know if they are still in business, but you can check, if you don’t find a local producer!
For the «history book of salmon fishing», I can mention that the «Quimperloise», the original name was changed to the «Flying C..» by Connie Corcoran, famous ghillie of the Blackwater river in Ireland, during a very «wet and sprit full» party at the Blackwater Lodge hotel in Ballyduff (I was at the party!) after a very successful day by some of of his British customers! Conny got hold of this new spinner concept, thanks to a gift of French anglers from Brittany! 😂😂
Good luck with your search and tight lines in Chile! (y)

Last edited:

Richardgw

Reaction score
It is very easy to make your own. You will of course need a wire forming tool and all the bits but you will get the sizes, colours and hooks that you want. For normal sizes use a lead body about 5g lighter than the weight of lure required - i.e. a 15 gram lead body with all the bits will make a 20g lure, although at larger sizes you could allow a bit more.

There are bits out there for much larger than the normal sizes as this link to very heavy bodies shows.

But as Gauldelen said it must be very special circumstances to require 60g. In addition this weight with appropriately sized blade will make it extremely arduous to retrieve against any current. An alternative would be a 25g lure with an up trace lead the weight of which could be finely adjusted to suit the conditions.

hairyscotsman

Reaction score
Yes its very fast and deep water. I appreciate its not the weight that most people are use to but its special conditions fishing for king salmon..The Successful lures are 60 gram..
The fly set up is 20ft of T20 off a skagit and that's not enough on some pools..
I know there was a guy who use to make 40/50 gram Pinkies for Rome Croy but cant remember who it was .
Not interested in making my own to be honest.

Oscar

Reaction score
Without sounding pretentious, I think that a 60 grams Flying C might have a far too heavy weight, whatever its expected use! I caught my best ever salmon (47 Ibs on the Vosso in Norway, under a very high June water level as you can see on my avatar) on this spinner, which gave me quite a number of good fish over the years, when I spinned!
Here is a link (English version) to the firm which invented and commercializes this lure.
You will notice that their maximum weight is 25 grams! I don’t know if they are still in business, but you can check, if you don’t find a local producer!
For the «history book of salmon fishing», I can mention that the «Quimperloise», the original name was changed to the «Flying C..» by Connie Corcoran, famous ghillie of the Blackwater river in Ireland, during a very «wet and sprit full» party at the Blackwater Lodge hotel in Ballyduff (I was at the party!) after a very successful day by some of of his British customers! Conny got hold of this new spinner concept, thanks to a gift of French anglers from Brittany! 😂😂

As I've said before, thesde are the best Flying Cs on the market, bar none.

Oscar.

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score
Jason says 50g are the biggest he can make mate
John Park at McHardy used to make me 50grm custom FC's for upstream fishing the Ledges at Coupar Grange on the Isla. You'd cast upstream from the Left bank to just above the overhanging trees on the bend where the drop off in to the deep hole started. You'd count to 60 and then wind fast....bang - great fun and who says spinning is just chuck and chance 🤖

I agree with the Flying Choo Choo. I can't see how you would effectively make a 60 grm FC. Once you get to 50grm I think that is the maximum balance of blade and weight you can manage in order for the bait to actually spin properly - but happy to be corrected?

In the picture below you can see a 50g Special on the left with a 5 ILBA Blade and a 25grm Regular with size 4 blade.

50 g Flying C.jpg

If the OP PM's me his address, I'd be happy to send him one.

Regards

NHP

Last edited:

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
John Park at McHardy used to make me 50grm custom FC's for upstream fishing the Ledges at Coupar Grange on the Isla. You'd cast upstream from the Left bank to just above the overhanging trees on the bend where the drop off in to the deep hole started. You'd count to 60 and then wind fast....bang - great fun and who says spinning is just chuck and chance 🤖

I agree with the Flying Choo Choo. I can't see how you would effectively make a 60 grm FC. Once you get to 50grm I think that is the maximum balance of blade and weight you can manage in order for the bait to actually spin properly - but happy to be corrected?

In the picture below you can see a 50g Special on the left with a 5 ILBA Blade and a 25grm Regular with size 4 blade.

View attachment 53357

If the OP PM's me his address, I'd be happy to send him one.

Regards

NHP
I know the ledges well. Its the beat down from coupar Grange islabank fishing. Some huge fish hold up in there

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score
I know the ledges well. Its the beat down from coupar Grange islabank fishing. Some huge fish hold up in there
When I was a season rod it was Upper, Middle and Lower. Lower was basically the Car Park, Platty, Crocodile, Ledges, Lonely Tree and the Bottom Pool. This is the Ledges in early season looking upstream.

Ledges.jpg

You'd stand just upstream of the two small bushes on the far bank and cast up to just where the bigger bushes upstream wrere. I've never had a monster out of there but fish to 15lbs.

Regards

NHP

Fall prince

Reaction score
What a fish 🔥

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Another option worth considering might be rubber shads on heavy jig heads, far more controllable in heavy flows/deepwater and seemingly endless options in colour size of shads and head weights!!!!

hairyscotsman

Reaction score
You going to the place Paul young did an episode?
Quite possible...I have not seen the Paul Young episode...I was fishing the sea trout river he fished last year in Argentina...Ironically was that episode that got me wanting to fish in Argentina...
This is the Rio Serrano im going to...Had a few days last year but a combination of heat wave ...forgotten licence and a girl on ice in Argentina made me cut short my trip and head back to Gallegos....so trying to make up for it this winter |!

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
Quite possible...I have not seen the Paul Young episode...I was fishing the sea trout river he fished last year in Argentina...Ironically was that episode that got me wanting to fish in Argentina...
This is the Rio Serrano im going to...Had a few days last year but a combination of heat wave ...forgotten licence and a girl on ice in Argentina made me cut short my trip and head back to Gallegos....so trying to make up for it this winter |!
I cant find the video but he was casting spinners below a waterfall on quite a big river catching big kings, looked fun