Whiting capes...

Finglas

Reaction score
Hi all,

I think I am looking for a whiting cock saddle cape (I say think because there is so much choice when it comes to capes). Anyway, I searched the forum and saw pat nolan was mentioned quite a bit. I phoned him and he said he'd get back to me but he never did. He did say he was having trouble getting the whiting capes. So I am wondering, where else is a good source for the whiting capes?

Thanks as always,

Jamie

gwelsher

Reaction score
Why Whiting?
They are generally good capes but expensive. There are a lot of good capes out there for a lot less money. They might not have the same number of hackles per cape but £ for £ they are a lot cheaper. And Salar doesn't know how much you paid ;)

Finglas

Reaction score
Why Whiting?
They are generally good capes but expensive. There are a lot of good capes out there for a lot less money. They might not have the same number of hackles per cape but £ for £ they are a lot cheaper. And Salar doesn't know how much you paid ;)
Thanks gwelsher. I only say whiting because having bought almost all my capes etc from the GAC years ago, and most of them being veniards, the whiting has been a monumental improvement over them. I feel the whiting has of course a lot more useable hackles but a good mix between sparse and slightly web like hackles, plus they seem to have small spines (if that is the right word?).

But yes, I accept your point definitely. Where/what else would you recommend?

Thank you,

Jamie

gwelsher

Reaction score
Jockiescott posted a fly the other day using capes that he bought from Cookshill. https://www.cookshill-flytying.co.uk/capes.htm
He says they are good capes for the money. Drop Steve an email telling him what you want and I'm sure he will sort you out.

AlanT

Reaction score
Thanks gwelsher. I only say whiting because having bought almost all my capes etc from the GAC years ago, and most of them being veniards, the whiting has been a monumental improvement over them. I feel the whiting has of course a lot more useable hackles but a good mix between sparse and slightly web like hackles, plus they seem to have small spines (if that is the right word?).

But yes, I accept your point definitely. Where/what else would you recommend?

Thank you,

Jamie
Hi,

What colours are you looking for?

Finglas

Reaction score
Well I said I'd post an update so here it is...

Received a few capes from Steve at Cookshill last week and got round to tying a few flies. Pleasantly surprised by the quality if the feathers. Heres a pic of the colours....

The orange hen cape did break when I was moving it back and forth trying to splay the feathers but that's not a big deal imo. The whiting capes do seem to offer miles more feathers on one of their genetic capes but then they are miles more expensive too. Very happy with these capes from cookshill. Heres a few PBPs tied using them....

Attachments