Which wading jacket ?

colliedog01

Reaction score
Looking for a good quality wading jacket. Looking for something with plenty of pockets. Any suggestions ?

MCXFisher

Reaction score
First you need to decide on your budget and technical requirement, which will help you refine the options. The budget is of course the key limiting factor, but if at all possible go for a breathable material - it's so much warmer and more comfortable.

I went through this process a couple of years ago, which I recorded on Just One Week in 3 posts called the Great Jacket Hunt:

Chapter 1 - Defining the requirement
Chapter 2 - Elimination
Chapter 3 - Surprises

There is also a review of 2 cheaper wading jackets produced by Vision in 'Terminator', which is worth reading if you're on a restricted budget.

I recommend going through a methodical process (I'm a bit more methodical than most) because it will save you money and reduce the risks of disappointment.

On a personal note I'd advise against having too many pockets. Not only are they unnecessary but also can lead to confusion in remembering what's where. I've generally found that 2 good sized chest pockets,; one inside; two hand warmers; and one behind is quite enough.

colliedog01

Reaction score
Thanks MCX for your help. I had been considering a Simms jacket just hadn’t been looking at specific models as of yet. I will definitely be doing a lot of research was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations to consider. Thanks again.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
The cheaper Simms jackets are short on basic features (e.g. no hand warmer pockets or D rings), which in part explains their lower price. The expensive models have all the bells and whistles and are priced accordingly. I liked the G4 jacket I tried but there's no way I'd pay £499.

If you're size large or bigger, John Norris is offering an excellent deal on the Guideline Experience, which was one of my contenders. It's a first class jacket, although there were some quality problems with the first production batch in 2015-6 (a friend had his replaced under warranty and has been delighted with the successor). It has all of the key features you might need.

Tangled

Reaction score
I bought the Airflo Airtext wading jacket on impulse and am very impressed with it. For a start it's only £50, but it's breathable, has lots of pockets and is fully waterproof. I've stood in a Russian river at 6C where it poured with rain solidly for 8 hours per day for 3 days and I stayed warm and dry.

Dudearoony

Reaction score
Can't fault the stillwater tay jacket, can fit everything you need in it except a thermos and a net

Rennie

Reaction score
I've 2 Simms G3 jackets, the 1st one has just passed on at 12yrs old. It has more blobs of Aquasure where I've stuck 'ooks in it, caught it on barbed wire and even sneezed and ripped a pocket off!.It was tough as old boots and did exactly what it said on the tin in bucket fulls.I've a newer model which is now in full time service, you could take a bath in it and stay dry!.Yup expensive, but what price dryness?, what price zips, pockets and features that work?.Ask yourself that again after several years service or a full week of fishing in the rain every day!.
I've also two Stillwater jackets, a Performance model and the Tay model.Both as dry as an old wet tea bag.The Tay model has wayyyy too much of the mesh lining inside the sleeves, its a pain to get on and off as well as annoying having that much material rucking up inside the sleeves, the hand warmer pockets are too small, I can't get my mitts in them.It channels water off the shoulders down into the front zip fastening soaking ones front and to top the lot the jacket is porous as hell. Even a shower see's the wearer damp.Both stillwater jackets have totally naff cuff fastenings, gets right up the nose and as much use as a chocolate fire guard etc. etc.
I'm sorry, but you do get what you pay for, there's no way round it at all, its just that simple.If you just can't afford one then that's life, if you won't pay for one, well put up with getting wet and buying new jackets every so often.
Pedro.

Rrrr

Reaction score
This summer ive been taking a berghaus goretex walking jacket with me more than my wading jacket as its lighter and packs away smaller into my sling pack so i can get it out when needed rather than be too hot all day wearing a wading jacket incase it rains.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

hut pool

Reaction score
livingston west lothian or on a river 75mls from h
I have 3 wadeing jackets, a G3 which I bought this year I only use it when its really bad or fishing on a posh beat,it's a outer shell garment like armour plate, and not very comfortable, a Greys GRXi which leaks like an old tent this is a dry day jacket , and a Diawa I bought for £45 new, 8 years ago ,its still going strong, no leaks and great design,very comfortable like a second skin , so good I'm going to get another ,I think they are about £75 now.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

wetwader

Reaction score
It all depends on expectations and fishing needs. If one can choose the fishing time and weather, there is no need for a rain jacket at all, no matter of price and quality.
If you want to take your fishing time and your chances as dictated by conditions without being stopped by your most important equipment, don’t try to save money on a rain jacket for fishing.
I repeat myself again. There is breathability and water resistance. Both is important to stay dry !
There is no way to avoid GoreTex in a rain jacket for outdoor activity in bad weather conditions. I already tried to avoid it in fishing, hunting and mountaineering.

You are looking for a good quality wading jacket with plenty of pockets. Simple: Simms G3 or G4.
And all the pockets are on the right place. You will get many years of best protection and service out of it.
And I for myself wear my GoreTex rain jackets only in rainy weather, no matter which activity. Even more years in result and time to wait for the next sale. This would be the right way to save money. More effective than to pay twice after buying lesser quality.
For fishing in fine weather or mixed weather, a Softshell jacket and a small backpack with a thin packable rain jacket (could also be any non GoreTex or even cheap PVC coating for this purpose) without pockets is enough.
The heavier Simms G3 or G4 jackets with all pockets can’t be packed and comprimated that well. GoreTex in general is also sensible to be packed folded.

Isisalar

Reaction score
I have 3 wadeing jackets, a G3 which I bought this year I only use it when its really bad or fishing on a posh beat,it's a outer shell garment like armour plate, and not very comfortable, a Greys GRXi which leaks like an old tent this is a dry day jacket , and a Diawa I bought for £45 new, 8 years ago ,its still going strong, no leaks and great design,very comfortable like a second skin , so good I'm going to get another ,I think they are about £75 now.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
A word of warning about the Daiwa wading jacket, I bought a Daiwa Game wading jacket back in 2016 and have been very pleased with it, was wonderfully waterproof, until the wife thought she would do me a favour by putting it in the washing machine, I only brought it in to dry it off! It started letting in water so gave it the full Nikwax treatment prior to a visit to the Wear last week, long story short, got back to the car and my phone, which was in one of the zipped inside pockets, had vanished. Investigation showed that the bottom of the pocket is merely taped to the outer jacket skin and the tape had failed, resulting in my much loved Huawei phone now residing on the bed of the River Wear near the Vinovium bench.
It completely ruined my week away and it's taken a good part of this week and considerable expense to resolve the loss of the phone and its content.
BEWARE.

hizzoner

Reaction score
Wading jacket

Purchased a sale Patagonia River Salt and find it a phenomenal jacket...heavier but very waterproof and great fit..big easy to access pockets.....

I got it at the end of the year and it was on sale on Patagonia website...

Cheers and good luck

Mark

Gpu

Reaction score
Good deals on the Loop Laino at the moment- superb jacket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamjar

Reaction score
Has to be Simms for me, all others have leaked pdq apart from a greys extreme which lasted a couple of seasons

C

cgaines10

Loop for me, top quality and designed well. Pockets in all the right places.
They're on offer now too on the outlet store.

junior

Reaction score
Check out froggs toggs tec toad made from a polypropylene type material on test against all the big names like simms orvis loop came out of ten companies. Came 1st cheap and 100 % watertight check out on amazon and go into review froggs toggs tec toad reviews. And see for yourself £36

Down & Across

Reaction score
I own a Sasta flow wading jacket, which I highly recommend as a viable alternative to Simms.

It’s also made from goretex and has stood up to extreme conditions well. The build quality is excellent and the material feels tough yet supple enough to allow for ease of movement. It tends to absorb water in the outside layer which may add a small amount of weight, but remains waterproof.

It has two large front pockets, adjustable water repellent cuffs, decent size hood and a very handy sling to rest your rod when accessing the pockets or tying flies while in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJ

Reaction score
Purchased a sale Patagonia River Salt and find it a phenomenal jacket...heavier but very waterproof and great fit..big easy to access pockets.....

I got it at the end of the year and it was on sale on Patagonia website...

Cheers and good luck

Mark

That’s what I have, pukka piece of kit, bulletproof

P!scator

Reaction score
I can vouch for Nomad UK, their chest wader jacket is high quality, mine is over 10 years old & still 100% waterproof, have a look at their range & give Phillip a call, he's been doing some good deals on their range lately

MCXFisher

Reaction score
During the 'Great Jacket Hunt' the Nomad was one of the contenders, but the customer service that I got from Philip and his company was so utterly useless that I was forced to drop them out of the competition. You will find the sorry tale recounted in detail here. Other Forum members have also had service issues with Nomad, which is a great pity as the product looks good and it would be nice to support a small British company.

bassfly

Reaction score
During the 'Great Jacket Hunt' the Nomad was one of the contenders, but the customer service that I got from Philip and his company was so utterly useless that I was forced to drop them out of the competition. You will find the sorry tale recounted in detail here. Other Forum members have also had service issues with Nomad, which is a great pity as the product looks good and it would be nice to support a small British company.
I have had a Nomad Ventflex lightweight wading jacket for over 10 years now and it's still going strong. Although the green colour has faded in places the jacket is still waterproof and fits easily into the back pocket of my fly vest. My friend and I met Philip on a motorway services on his way to an exhibition to pick up two of the jackets which we both still use. Best buy in clothing I have made at around £90 at the time.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

P!scator

Reaction score

I don't think its really fair to castigate a company on a public fishing forum on a single experience with no opportunity for them to redress. I've just replaced my Nomad chest wader jacket after +10 years of service which is now a good spare. I contacted the company last Fri & Philip called me that afternoon to confirm what I required. He checked his stock & got back to me on Monday - The jacket was delivered today & I got a very good deal. Great service IMO - The model had been upgraded & I cannot fault the design or fit.