Which wading boots?

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I went for Redington sonic seam jacket 9 years ago (new zip fitted) and sonic seam waders 7 years still keeping me dry, do the Nicwax treatment each season
Bought some new Wychwood and Hodgman waders in sales for when get wet feet
Will keep an eye on wading boot sales this winter if any Simms pop up
If your are size 8 or 9 this is a good buy. And if you sign up to newsletter you get another 10% off

Ratman

Reaction score
Thats my headwaters with a season and a half on them and no issues at all. I can put up to 8 miles in when fishing remote bits of river so they get some use. Ive had to replace a boa cable in each boot but its a 5 min job.
My old riverteks looked in alot worse shape after the same sort of time scale. Only thing i can think of is the material used in the uppers.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Ace boots love mine. I remember being very unsure when I bought them but I'm glad I did

scoops

Reaction score
If your are size 8 or 9 this is a good buy. And if you sign up to newsletter you get another 10% off
Cheers, too small for me, plenty sale options if have small feet

Fons

Reaction score
Hi there;
I use a gravel bike to move faster between the more interesting fishing stretches of my local river. I know wading boots are not developed for that and so I may not complain having a leak in the cross after a few months use. I switched to shorter seperated Aigle Parcours wading boots; they are great in combination with the bike but in higher water conditions, they might be a bit short.
Is there somebody here on the forum with satisfying experiences on using "jointed" waders on a bike?

budge

Reaction score
Can you get the Simms headwaters with laces rather than boa system ? Going off the comments here these seem to be THE boot of choice. I would just prefer laces to a bit of wire.

Sent from my CPH2127 using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
Can you get the Simms headwaters with laces rather than boa system ? Going off the comments here these seem to be THE boot of choice. I would just prefer laces to a bit of wire.

Dont think so. I think you have to step up to the g3 guide boot for laces and leather.

budge

Reaction score
Dont think so. I think you have to step up to the g3 guide boot for laces and leather.

Looks as though I will have to bite the bullet and give them a go then. I'm never keen on buying before I try but the best deals seem to be via tinterweb. Would one shoe size up be enough ?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Looks as though I will have to bite the bullet and give them a go then. I'm never keen on buying before I try but the best deals seem to be via tinterweb. Would one shoe size up be enough ?

Mine are 1 size up but ive got wide feet so maybe diffrent to others. Sportfish/farlows have had good winter sales on simms boots in the past. Not sure about this year though.

Rennie

Reaction score
Budge, yes you can get lace up Headwaters, but only in Vibram sole and with cordura uppers. I have those boots and the Headwaters Felt soled Boa with leather uppers. Both are an excellent boot.
I have always gone 1 size up from shoe size on wading boots- 3 pairs of Simms to date- and allowing for a pair of sea boot socks too they fit perfectly.
Pedro.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Budge, yes you can get lace up Headwaters, but only in Vibram sole and with cordura uppers. I have those boots and the Headwaters Felt soled Boa with leather uppers. Both are an excellent boot.
I have always gone 1 size up from shoe size on wading boots- 3 pairs of Simms to date- and allowing for a pair of sea boot socks too they fit perfectly.
Pedro.
They are by far the comfiest boot ive had. The riverteks were ok but the new fancy footbed they use in the headwaters and newer style boots is better again. Not far off my meindl walking boots.

budge

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys, think I will go for rubber soles and studs this time. I have a pair of felt soled guideline boots which I will save for anywhere that has rocky wading. Most of my wading is on gravel and walking on muddy banks so treads are probably the best option.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Just had an email from angus angling if anyones after a size 12 in felt. Canny chunk of money off.

Korchoi

Reaction score
I need some new boots. My hardy felts roll on my feet. I fell over 3 times on horrible football shaped boulders yesterday. The boots rolled on my feet.

Also, Vibram or felt? I've been good on grass (mostly) with the supatracks studs. I just want a better fitted boot.

Redington Prowlers if you can find them, have a nice wide toe box so no toe crimping, and so far after 4 seasons mine are just starting to show signs of age. They have a treaded sole and I have about 6 studs in each boot which I renew once in a while. Never had any slip incidents in the river or on the bank that weren't my fault. The speed lace clips have rotted out on mine, well the rivets have, but I use mine in salt as well.

Not expensive boots.