Which wading boots?

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I need some new boots. My hardy felts roll on my feet. I fell over 3 times on horrible football shaped boulders yesterday. The boots rolled on my feet.

Also, Vibram or felt? I've been good on grass (mostly) with the supatracks studs. I just want a better fitted boot.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Simms headwaters boa with the vibram soles and studs for me. Some prefer laces but i like the boa system.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Rennie

Reaction score
If you only ever buy one Simm's item in your life, make it a pair of Simm's wading boots, there's really nothing better out there!.
I've currently two pairs of Headwaters boots on the go, one lace up with Vibram+ studs and cleats, then a pair of Boa and felt with studs.
Both give excellent protection to feet and ankles- something thats often overlooked compared to price! and both are wearing and lasting very well.
I wasn't too sure about the Boa system, but warming to it all the more as I use them.
As ever, it's not purely about the money, much rather what you get for your money, how the boots perform and how long they'll last!.Don't purely compare price tags, but look to the boots themselves 1stly!.
Pedro.

Pati

Reaction score
Boulders? Then Patagonia foot tractor with the aluminium bar are your best bet for grip!!!
If the price tag on the current « Danner » model is too much, you can still find shops selling the old « Narwhal » model that was much more affordable

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I'm looking at the SIMMS Freestones, Headwaters and the G3's. I'm more bothered about quality, foot support and durability. Reading about these 3, I can't seem to pick one out of them. The freestones appear to be much the same but £80 cheaper.

Last edited:

Hoddom

Reaction score
I'm looking at the SIMS Freestones, Headwaters and the G3's. I'm more bothered about quality, foot support and durability. Reading about these 3, I can't seem to pick one out of them. The freestones appear to be much the same but £80 cheaper.
The freestones are basically plastic so never rot. Any bits with leather on are posh and nice. But leather will not outlast plastic - especially in and out of water (with a bit of salt on occasion).

Geordieboy

Reaction score
The freestones are basically plastic so never rot. Any bits with leather on are posh and nice. But leather will not outlast plastic - especially in and out of water (with a bit of salt on occasion).
Much appreciated. Leather will harden. The plastic will stay the same.
I think I'll just plumb for them then.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Much appreciated. Leather will harden. The plastic will stay the same.
I think I'll just plumb for them then.
Ive had the plastic stuff crack on my old rivertec boa boots where it flexed. To be fair though simms did renew them under warranty without question.
Saying that ive not seen anything about the freestones cracking.

nickolas

Reaction score
Simms : I like the Boa because of my advancing age, also prefer felt with studs. Don’t waste your money on anything else.
I’m the same, now on my third pair over about 12 years, I have both felt and vibram, I feel safer with felt as most of my fishing is on stone. Wouldn’t think of buying another boot.

Last edited:

Ratman

Reaction score
Simms headwaters boa. Brilliant when you've had a skin full night before and don't have the ability to tie laces. Only wish they'd been available when I was in my 20's

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Simms headwaters boa. Brilliant when you've had a skin full night before and don't have the ability to tie laces. Only wish they'd been available when I was in my 20's
I turned up on the Tay...my first ever days salmon fishing, hanging out my @rse....... and boy did the ghillie tear me a new one 😄

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Actually, I can get discount at a particular store so I think I will plumb for the Headwater Boas.

Rrrr

Reaction score
agreed. My backs knackerd and they take 2 seconds to get on and sorted. Also you can nip them up through the gravel gaurds when they start to slacken off when they get wet.

Rennie

Reaction score
I've got wide fat feet with high arches, I find the Boa system a revelation!. Also my legs n knees are cream cracked, bending down a lot is something age is telling me to avoid. Something as stupidly easy as wading boots that are easier to put on and zip fronted waders do make a difference to my days fishing in that I'm not goosed just by putting the waders on at the start of the day!
Much as we all may extract the urine, it's coming to a town near you all pretty damn soon!.
Pedro.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
So then, I've just ordered the Freestone felts, after a discussion with a Guide from the shop I buy my tackle from. He uses the GUIDE G3's but he is guiding and told me that the Freestones are almost as durable for the money. He's wearing his for 100 days a year.....luck bugger.
He told me to avoid the BOA system from the perspective that the BOA spares are currently difficult to get with all the COVID nonsense. Whilst the system is very good, if it breaks your day is over, unless you have a set of spares. The same would apply with the Freestones, but laces are easier to get a hold of.

Rrrr

Reaction score
So then, I've just ordered the Freestone felts, after a discussion with a Guide from the shop I buy my tackle from. He uses the GUIDE G3's but he is guiding and told me that the Freestones are almost as durable for the money. He's wearing his for 100 days a year.....luck bugger.
He told me to avoid the BOA system from the perspective that the BOA spares are currently difficult to get with all the COVID nonsense. Whilst the system is very good, if it breaks your day is over, unless you have a set of spares. The same would apply with the Freestones, but laces are easier to get a hold of.
Aye, i always carry spare boa wires in my pocket and can swap them out on the bank within 5 mins or so.
Think hes right about the boots too, most seem to use the same soles and footbed etc so the rest is mainly materials used for the uppers.