Which switch

K28

Reaction score
Just wondering what people think of switch rods for medium size rivers in summer. I fish a 13ft #8 and am considering would I need to add a switch to my collection or would it be too similar to the 13ft.

Also any feedback on switch rods appreciated.

Final Q: Shooting head or integrated line?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Rennie

Reaction score
Being honest K28,there's not much difference between most 11ft 6 ins switch rods and most 13fters, it usually boils down to 18" of carbon. £ to a p they'll chuck the same lines near enough the same distance and you could be using them in near enough the same restricted space's.
Where I would say there is an advantage is going to lighter lines, exploiting a better presentation of smaller flee's off lighter nylons.However you could also utilise lighter lined small 12ft double handers too!.
There's a world of choice out there and it can be bewildering!.
I could tell you this for certain!, not much point in buying an 11ft 6ins. 8/9 weight switch when you've an 8 weight 13fter, thats for certain, but a 6/7 weight 11ft trout rated switch could put fish on the bank for you in times of low water.
I've 3 switch rods, an 11ft 3 ins 6 weight Airflo, the same rod in 7 weight and a Sage One 8 weight. Each one subtly different and exploitable in certain circumstances.The Two Airflo's are Trout rated and are a godsend in low clear water, the Sage while Salmon rated and far "beefier" is pretty much the same as my 13ft 8/9 LPXe!.
More honesty now!, I've a 12ft 6ins. 7 weight rod too, that really works well on medium rivers esp. in lower summer levels!.
Maybe you know the answer to your own question?, just a couple of lines of thought there for you.
Feel free to ask any time, happy to help.If we're close welcome to try my kit out see what you think before splashing any cash.
Pedro.

mikek1

Reaction score
Being honest K28,there's not much difference between most 11ft 6 ins switch rods and most 13fters, it usually boils down to 18" of carbon. £ to a p they'll chuck the same lines near enough the same distance and you could be using them in near enough the same restricted space's.
Where I would say there is an advantage is going to lighter lines, exploiting a better presentation of smaller flee's off lighter nylons.However you could also utilise lighter lined small 12ft double handers too!.
I could tell you this for certain!, not much point in buying an 11ft 6ins. 8/9 weight switch when you've an 8 weight 13fter, thats for certain, but a 6/7 weight 11ft trout rated switch could put fish on the bank for you in times of low water.
I've 3 switch rods, an 11ft 3 ins 6 weight Airflo, the same rod in 7 weight and a Sage One 8 weight. Each one subtly different and exploitable in certain circumstances.The Two Airflo's are Trout rated and are a godsend in low clear water, the Sage while Salmon rated and far "beefier" is pretty much the same as my 13ft 8/9 LPXe!.
More honesty now!, I've a 12ft 6ins. 7 weight rod too, that really works well on medium rivers esp. in lower summer levels!.
Maybe you know the answer to your own question?, just a couple of lines of thought there for you.
Feel free to ask any time, happy to help.If we're close welcome to try my kit out see what you think before splashing any cash.
Pedro.
Hi Ronnie, can I ask what line do you use on the airflo 6wt rod.
Regards Mike
Pedro.
Sorry for the incorrect spelling Rennie
Mike

Rrrr

Reaction score
This last season or so my 13footer hasnt had too much use as i prefer my switch rod for alot of situations on a medium river.
I use the guideline laxa which was their budget rod at the time and i really cant fault it.
Also i terms of casting diatance its not a million miles away from my 13 footer but with a shorter head length you can cast in alot tighter spots and cover arkward lies.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Reactions: K28

SALMON RUSHDIE

Reaction score
Orvis Clearwater 11ft8#Switch Black blank Rio scandi ssvt 23ft body ten ft tips in 8#and same in 9# for windy days u won’t be disappointed I bought two of them they are that good

SALMON RUSHDIE

Reaction score
A1781E5A-2390-49AF-907C-0EA8014A3CBA.jpeg

Rennie

Reaction score
Mikek1, I use an Airflo 40+ 7weight floater on the 6 weight rod and the Airflo 40+ 8 weight floater on the 7 weight rod.They both cast really strongly, esp. the 6 weight rod which has a strong Scandi action.
The 6 weight rod I use Trout polys on-10fters and the 7 weight turns over 10ft Salmon polys. just fine.
Both outfits will spey or overhead real strong, in fact you'll be surprised at the 6 weight rod, its casts a hell of a line!
Pedro.

mikek1

Reaction score
Mikek1, I use an Airflo 40+ 7weight floater on the 6 weight rod and the Airflo 40+ 8 weight floater on the 7 weight rod.They both cast really strongly, esp. the 6 weight rod which has a strong Scandi action.
The 6 weight rod I use Trout polys on-10fters and the 7 weight turns over 10ft Salmon polys. just fine.
Both outfits will spey or overhead real strong, in fact you'll be surprised at the 6 weight rod, its casts a hell of a line!
Pedro.
Hi Rennie, thanks for your prompt reply, I have the 40+floater on the 6wt but i was using 10ft salmon polys and was a bit iffy about it, will try it with the trout polys and hopefully that will help.
Regards Mike

Willow3

Reaction score
Can't see past my 11ft loop cross s1.
Great rod and a true switch. Over head casts as well as spey casts. I've got a barrio switch on it 90% of the time.
Great set up.
I agree that a light switch rod rated for a #6 double hand or #8 single hand is useful in addition to a 13 ft #8 double hander. Less point in getting a 11ft switch rated for a #8 double hand line. I believe that a 12 ft #7 would be too close to the 13ft #8.

I would suggest an integrated line rather than a shooting head as you are often stripping line in low water and it can be irritating to keep pulling the join into the top ring. The choices are either a switch line, which is better for larger flies or a trout WF line for more delicate presentation of smaller flies.

Best switch rods are Loop, Sage and Guideline, but Shakespeare and Airflo switches are very good and a fraction of the price.

greenhut

Reaction score
If I can get away with it I’ll use my switch with intergrated barrio line on the medium size rivers I fish, personally for me I get much better presentation overhead casting with the switch than Spey casting with my 13fter. I just use a shakey oricle and love it. Obviously if there’s water in or the winds up I’ll use the 13ft

Rrrr

Reaction score
If I can get away with it I’ll use my switch with intergrated barrio line on the medium size rivers I fish, personally for me I get much better presentation overhead casting with the switch than Spey casting with my 13fter. I just use a shakey oricle and love it. Obviously if there’s water in or the winds up I’ll use the 13ft
I rekon the lighter presentation makes all the diffrence on the coquet. Plus it opens up a few spots where you struggle with a 13 as they cast well from a high bank or the overgrown bits etc.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

happy days

Reaction score
I have the vision tool 7/8 wt 12ft6" brilliant rod for light to medium fishing, my 11ft3" redington switch rod has been retired because of it :)

sewinfly

Reaction score
Grahams of Inverness Seatrout Special or Grilse Special
7/8 wt or 8/9wt at 11'3" for the money you would be hard to beat as everyone says, IMHO.

Sewinfly. .............

K28

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great replies everyone. A lot of interesting pieces there. It seems an 11" foot in 6/7 weight would be the answer

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
A friend uses a 6/7 switch guideline lxi.
I've had a few casts with it, a really nice rod. Its paired with guidelines own integrated shooting head line. Barrio switch lines are ment to be amazing too tho I've never cast one 👍

glenclova

Reaction score
Guideline NT8 #7/8 is a really nice rod and works well with the Gaelforce 6/7 switch line (24g). Although 11 foot 9 inches it can be used single or double handed.

rapala55

Reaction score
Ive a Shakespear 8/9 switch rod which i use most of the time with a wf 8 trout line and a 5 ft sinking polyleader.I also have a Barrio 7/8 which flies off it but I find it just a tad heavy for small rivers.I would have no hesitation in recomending the Shakespeare and it only bout £100.