Which spinning rod

C

coasty

Looking for advice for a decent 9 ft spinning rod that will cast small stuff i.e. Typically a size 2 mepps . But will handle single figure sea trout and salmon into the teens .. hopefully . So many rods seem to start their casting range at 10 g or more any one using something that they recommend for lighter lures ? Thanks

toads

Reaction score
Hi,Good luck with your question. I also would be interested in this but 10ft would suit me better to use with shrimp/worm as well. Hopefully without breaking the bank. atb toads

Rrrr

Reaction score
Looking for advice for a decent 9 ft spinning rod that will cast small stuff i.e. Typically a size 2 mepps . But will handle single figure sea trout and salmon into the teens .. hopefully . So many rods seem to start their casting range at 10 g or more any one using something that they recommend for lighter lures ? Thanks
Thats a tricky one really as anything light enough to get real distance with mepps would struggle with a big salmon. I use a 10 foot abu diplomat thats rated 15 to 35 grams but can still send a size 1or 2 mepp as far as i could cast a fly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

cayofisher

Reaction score
Looking for advice for a decent 9 ft spinning rod that will cast small stuff,

Smiths/Tenryu, Up there, top the best of the rest, unfortunately, this is reflected in the price, it amazes me how the majority don't think twice about laying out huge sums of €$£ on the fly rod, but wouldn't dream of spending that bit more, to fish with a decent spinning rod,if you spin a lot, or enjoy spinning, try and check out the above, fitted with a suitable reel,

Rrrr

Reaction score
Im like that. Decent fly gear and my spinning setup cost under 200 quid all in but it does all i need it to. Ive allways used abu spinning rods and reels as they seem like good value and work well. The drag on the litte orra2 reel is brilliant and its really smooth but dont think it will last as long as the older ones.

Loxie

Reaction score
I think Diawa do an 9' Exceler that casts 5 to 40gms. When I did a bit of spinning that's all I used. You can cast a no 1 mepps and land any salmon you fancy on them, just got to hook one. A good reel and braid is more important than the rod, IMO, but I'm a bit out of date and things may be different now.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I think Diawa do an 9' Exceler that casts 5 to 40gms. When I did a bit of spinning that's all I used. You can cast a no 1 mepps and land any salmon you fancy on them, just got to hook one. A good reel and braid is more important than the rod, IMO, but I'm a bit out of date and things may be different now.
Aye i would agree with that. Reel wise something with a nice carbon or sealed felt drag system makes all the difference as a nice smooth start up when they run rather than a jerky drag. I dont do braid but change my mono every 4 times out or so.

ellipse

Reaction score
A rod that would meet your requirement is the Shimano Dialuna X-R S900ML 6-28 gms range, which would suit a Mepps 2 without any problems.
Give Ben at Art of Fishing Wadebridge a call and he will be able to sort you out.
Tight lines Brian

C

coasty

Thanks gents , I agree most people have a strange view that they will shell out a fortune on a fly rod and yet use a pretty ratty spinning rod . I know I will be using light lures and don't mind spending a bit of cash on something decent that will have a tip that will work with a size two mepps but have a bit of backbone to handle decent fish .

Andy