Which rod would you recommend

bluetoonloon

Reaction score
Hi gents,

I'm looking to purchase a new fly rod tomorrow and unsure what to get, my budget is around £600, I currently have a shakespear oracle 4 14ft 10/11#, I bought this to start off my salmon fishing but looking for a better rod something with a little extra for throwing out the line, I will be fishing the Don mostly but on quite a few occasions the Dee also. I had in mind a Mackenzie DTX 15ft but looking for advice and a good line to go with it mabe a shooting head line, haven't used one yet so not sure of this ether. I have a hardy sink tip line for the oracle but when fishing it I don't think it's getting down where the fish are. I'm also looking to buy something to replace my sharpes plus 3 trout rod 9ft3" 6# for something new too with something same weight but a 9ft6" or 10ft your help is much appreciated.

Scanny

Reaction score
Hi Bluetoonloon,

If you are thinking of a dtx and fish shooting heads, then the 15' Dtx Shooting head model is the one to go for and you won't be disappointed.

Line wise, any of the 10/11 heads will go well, along with carron jetstreams or the new dtx lines due out in march.

I'm waiting on Santa to get the original 15' to me, it will cast shooting heads well, and cast 75' and 85' lines.

Enjoy the search, it's great fun

Mr Fishin

Reaction score
I know that all the initial fuss has died down and I am by no means an expert but I still believe that the Century rods are well worth consideration.