Which reel

Craigy

Reaction score
Undecided between the Danielson 8/13 control and the Vossler passion any views would be a great help

Rennie

Reaction score
I've recently acquired the Vossler Passion, the 9/10 version.It comfortably took 200yds 30lb dacron, 30m floating running line and a 9/10 head of choice.
I like it a lot, but only used it the once as so far this year there's no water and less fish. The Vosler's a quiet reel and I gather the Danielsson is too- that could be an issue?
Now in all honesty it's not a direct comparison because the drags are different, Control's anti reverse, Vossler's a conventional disc drag.
That aside, I know the Danielsson's rep. is outstanding, it's 100% trustworthy, but to me and this is purely personal it looks soulless- he said fastening the flak jacket and putting on the tin hat.
But, that's what makes the world go round, its looks absolute bonzer on my NT8 Guideline.Try as I might, it didn't come with fish alongside it in the box, so my test's not 100% conclusive afraid.
Still, it's sat on the mantle piece next to my Airfix Spitfire! and they both look absolutely outstanding !.
Pedro.

Craigy

Reaction score
Cheers Rennie that’s part of the problem I’ve got I think the vossler looks stunning but I like the way the control works still think it’s a nice reel though

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Danielsson - the reel for 3 generations of your family. Beautiful engineering, great design, utterly reliable, nice price.

I don’t look for ‘soul’ in the reel but rather in the rod, with which we have a much more tactile and spiritual relationship.

Overmiwaders

Reaction score
I have a fair few Danielsons that i use for trout fishing , the engineering is superb and price wise they are unbeatable , I have one on a salmon rod. I havent caught a Salmon on it yet. But to coin an old Phrase "the bloke on the thick end of the rod is a duffer.." So I cant blame the reel. As for Vossler I have a passion in a smaller size and it does look Gorgeous on a split cane rod. But if I was judging on engineering and performance and betting a salmon in it the Danielssons every time.

O M W

Craigy

Reaction score
Cheers for the feedback guys much appreciated 👍defo leaning towards the Danielson control

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I have the Control 7-12 and really like it.

- The weight balances my 12’ rods perfectly. I will get an 8-13 for my 13’6” rods at some point.
- The anti-reverse effectively disengages when winding in.
- I find the dynamic braking useful when playing a fish.
- The reel is built very well and looks the part.

I’m sure the Vossler is also a very good reel. Unfortunately, I have no experience of those reels so cannot offer a comparison.

McPisces

Reaction score
You should sign up to the "Danielsson Fly Reels" group on Facebook, lots of info from owners and fellow enthusiasts.

rs2ford

Reaction score
Vosseler Passion has a very small reel foot that won't fit all reel seats. I would go for the Danielsson.
Cheers Diarmid

Last edited:

LanlishBrown

Reaction score
I have way too many Danielsson reels (last count around a dozen !!) and love them all. Superb value and outstanding engineering. I have a couple of the Control reels (largest size) and they take a little getting used to but once you do they are brilliant. Haven't tried a Vosseler reel.

Mattytree

Reaction score
Have had around 10 salmon on the passion this season, the clutch is very easy to adjust whilst playing a fish and all round I really like it.
My only complaint would be the silver outer rim on the spool is easy to dent but then I'm pretty rough with gear fishing pretty awkward spots.