Which reel?

Loyalist84

Reaction score
I've got a Vision XO that I use for my 8wt single hander and a friend has for her 7wt double hander and I've yet to have a bad experience with that reel - drag is smooth as silk and beautifully machined. Perhaps the only bad thing about it is the small-ish drag knob but the knurling on it is very positive so it's not much of an issue.

lefthandup

Reaction score
I like a reel that tells me when a fish is taking line but don’t need folk in the next parish to hear it. I have one reel that clicks (quite quietly) when I wind in but not when the line’s going out and that‘s wrong as well.
Why is that wrong ?

NEbody

Reaction score
Why is that wrong ?

Because I know, even if the reel doesn’t make a noise, when I’m gaining line and how quickly I’m winding but I like some indication of how quickly a fish is taking line. I want a reel that clicks quietly when line’s going out and I’m not bothered whether it does when I’m winding.

wormo

Reaction score
Im going to pick up a new setup 11ft 8/9 switch or short double handed but need a reel. Ive got a hardy ultralite cadd 1000 for my bigger rod and leaning towards a 9000 ultradisc udla from Hardy again. Im concerned about line capacity mainly as I got cought out earlier in the year with an orvis clearwater cassette reel andhad to compromise on backing and it was overloaded in all honesty and wasnt enjoyable to use. Anyways im also looking at sage, vision and guideline options but all need to be capable of holding a multi tip line system to match the rod.
Thanks in advance
have u thought of the loop evotec g4 7/9 its on sale direct from loop £195,
i have it on my switch rods with an integrated 26g switch line , nice weight too

Meldon9

Reaction score
I used either an Angel mk1 7/8, a Demon 7000 but my favourite is a Loop/Daniellson lw 6-9, a grand bit of kit that I cant fault.

S.preston

Reaction score
Well picked up the ultradisc in a 9000 size to pair to the vision onki 11ft 8wt switch and use the cadd on my 13ft 2 loop q double hander. Both rods have similar line ratings so can chop and change between the two. The ultradisc is impressive, possibly the lightest reel ive laid hands on in that size

Attachments

• IMG_20210124_171459.jpg
    IMG_20210124_171459.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 31

lowforcefly

Reaction score
Does anyone use a Danielsson reel on a 13ft 8/9 rod ? I’m not sure between the
L5Twelve or the H5D 9thirteen... I will be putting a Gaelforce 9 weight shooting head on one of the spools.. any advice will be much appreciated.
H5D for me...balances nicely on my 13' Loop Opti power AFS 10/11, and 14' evotec, with AFS 8/9, with loads of backing.

Tastefully quiet...so not for 'Self pleasuring, Exhibitionists?':whistle::ROFLMAO:

Stephen76

Reaction score
H5D for me...balances nicely on my 13' Loop Opti power AFS 10/11, and 14' evotec, with AFS 8/9, with loads of backing.

Tastefully quiet...so not for 'Self pleasuring, Exhibitionists?':whistle::ROFLMAO:
I went for the HD5,I ordered it on Tuesday morning and it arrived (in the highlands) on Thursday lunch time which was impressive. Yes going from a Marquis to this reel is definitely a more subtle sound which I like although there will still be a time and a place for the Marquis, I have a feeling it won’t be the last Danielsson I order..

fisherman1989

Reaction score
I am also looking for a fly fishing reel but for a single-handed rod but I am going to use it for pike and salmon and sea trout size 9 to 11 weight was doubt between

danielsson
8twelve

or vision xo series

or the hardy udla

or something from vosseler

Last edited: